Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Road Hazard Alert and Avoidance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's a critical feature to have FSD alert and be able to slow down and avoid (when enabled in the settings):

1. Pedestrians, bicyclists or motorcyclists
2. Small and large wildlife
3. Plants and trees
4. Poles
5. Construction equipment and the related signs
6. Any stopped vehicle
7. Temporary road barriers
8. Small alert triangles for stopped vehicles and temporary lighting
9. Road dividers and guardrails
10. Road hazards like objects on the road, potholes or large and potentially unsafe areas of water that collect during storms

Does anyone have an update on when these features will be available, or is all of this available now with the latest FSD version (I am still waiting on getting the current beta)?

...update...
Good point.

Any self-driving technology should be reliable enough to avoid hitting anything at both highway and parking-lot speeds even in summon or parking.

The collision avoidance technology has been here in other companies as they use sensor fusion (driverless Prius drove the blind man in 2012).

Tesla now does not believe in sensor fusion because if they give conflicting info, which one should the system take?

Thus, Tesla has now switched to Vision and many people were excited with the promise of a superhuman with not just 2 eyes but 8!

Well, now that vision is here since 4/2021: It still collides with obstacles if drivers don't pay attention.

With this pace, Tesla will catch up with collision avoidance technology (that others already have) many years from now, decades, or even when all of us will die by then.

Last edited:
I think it's a critical feature to have FSD alert and be able to slow down and avoid (when enabled in the settings):

1. Pedestrians, bicyclists or motorcyclists
2. Small and large wildlife
3. Plants and trees
4. Poles
5. Construction equipment and the related signs
6. Any stopped vehicle
7. Temporary road barriers
8. Small alert triangles for stopped vehicles and temporary lighting
9. Road dividers and guardrails
10. Road hazards like objects on the road, potholes or large and potentially unsafe areas of water that collect during storms

Does anyone have an update on when these features will be available, or is all of this available now with the latest FSD version (I am still waiting on getting the current beta)?
FSD beta certainly recognizes pedestrians, bicycles and motorcycles and avoids them like the plague. I've seen some dogs visualized, so at least some of them are recognized. Other animals (wild or tamed) are TBD for me.

Some of the other items may be recognized. Road dividers and guardrails do not seem to be an issue. Certainly FSD beta sees stopped vehicles. It would be impossible to navigate a city without doing so. When you get FSD, it would be good for you to set up routes that encounter some of the other items and report to us what you learn.

When will FSD beta handle everything on your list? We don't know and Tesla does not provide a development schedule.

FSD beta certainly recognizes pedestrians, bicycles and motorcycles and avoids them like the plague...
Tesla's collision avoidance technology is unpredictable. The only predictable thing is if the driver let the system drives you with no intervention, collisions will happen.

Omar was praising "We're likely to have a 'zero take over' drive" then in the same drive it swerved toward a bike and the driver had to take over. The transcript of the incident: "...and now with a software update, you can actually make thousands of people drive safer”..."F**k! are we gonna have to cut that?"

Look at the steering wheel: It was swerving to the right to aim right at the bicyclist and the driver had to turn it to the left away from the bicyclist. The instrument cluster had no problems rendering the bicyclist passing the car from the traffic light stop until the incidence and beyond. There was no loss of the bicyclist in the instrument cluster at all times. Also, the Forward Collision Warnings were blasting the loud audio warning when the trajectory was changed from straight-ahead toward the front car to the right bicycle lane toward the bicyclist.

Recognizing may not be a problem but collision avoidance is the problem: wrong steerings, no braking!

1655153036907.png

Last edited:
Driving with autopilot on 5 lane freeway, there was an aluminum ladder in my lane. Had to disconnect or that would have been ugly.

later, a goose with its baby was walking verrrrry slowly across a 50 mph rural road and was using FSD BETA. Had to disconnect otherwise mom and baby would be no more.