TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

FSD sales tax on a HW3 car in CA

Discussion in 'California' started by ab26, Jan 11, 2020.

1. ab26

ab26 Member

Hi Guys

So I purchased a HW3 car in June 2019. I purchased FSD in Nov2019. Tesla charged me sales tax on this. Does anyone know if I should be entitled to a refund since CA exempts tax on software purchase?

Has anyone successfully able to get a refund on FSD purchase on a hw 3 car?

2. Need

Need Active Member

Tesla charges sales tax on all of their software upgrades in CA including acceleration boost, AP, EAP, etc.... So it is not because of HW3.

3. RandyS

RandyS Fan of Elon

I always thought they didn't have to charge sales tax on software updates because of the delivery method. Someone tweeted this question to Elon last year and he said he was going to look into it. Since nothing has changed, I'm assuming that they felt they still have to charge sales tax...

salestax.jpg

4. jhsocal

jhsocal Member

This is very interesting as I searched online and am seeing that, in California, if you purchase "non-custom" canned, downloadable, software, that it is not subject to sales tax. If they deliver it on media(cd or dvd), though, then it is taxable. I guess this is more up to Tesla though to remove the sales tax on these types of transactions for CA residents.

Sales and use taxes in California - Wikipedia

5. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

It’s taxed if you purchase it with the car, so they tax it if you buy after. Always have.