Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD saved us from being crushed by a semi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just my .02 and that is that maybe it’s just me but when in a situation with fast moving moderate amount of traffic and semi’s in particular... I disengage AP.

If it were just cars I’d be ok with it, but trucks are too big and AP is very capable of losing its mind some as in braking then accelerating. How to know when to disengage is easy...are your knuckles turning white?

A case could also be made that the truck driver has some Tesla hate and wanted to scare you too.

Reactions: LisaW
@scottiev

I drive this highway regularly. I’m pretty sure trucks aren’t allowed in the left lanes ever, but I get on at 16W and off at 14.

It’s a terrible stretch of highway... there is an exit for the Interchange to Route 280, then the city of Newark, and then the split to the extensions (14A-B-C-D/Route 78 Interchange), and then you have the Cars Only and Cars/Trucks/Buses split. These are all in a mile or two.

Glad you had a positive outcome. Stay safe. I learned really quickly driving these roads to keep my distance from trucks, and to pass ASAP and not dwell on the sides.

Wow!!!!! It's a shame that this truck driver will continue to drive and possibly cause another family their lives via his reckless driving. While being in the blindspot did not help, its also his job to clear the blind spot. This is the responsibility of EVERY driver on the road. If you aren't checking your blindspot then what ARE you doing. Also, this would not have happened if he had a TESLA FSD truck.

I'm having the opposite effect. I'm having ghost braking when using cruise control. Today i was going 75 and it slammed on the brakes until I took over at 30 on the highway. Thank GOD no one was behind me as I would have been killed. Everything in my car was in the front or on the windshield. Horrible.

I had this issue Right after I had my windshield replaced. My autopilot also would keep me on the far right of the lane. It was weird. I then completely powered down the car, let it sit a few minutes and turned it back on. Fixed my issue.

First post and first near death experience in our Model 3 (purchased in March), and I’m seriously impressed by the way Autopilot (and some luck?) helped us escape a very bad situation.

I made a little video from the dashcam footage. You can see it here:

The car was in navigate on Autopilot mode and a truck came into our lane without warning. Before I could move my foot to the brake, the car had engaged full emergency braking and steered us precisely between a 30,000 lbs semi and the concrete barrier. I’m still amazed we made it out.

Pretty strong case in how autonomous vehicles can be safer than a human could ever be. In the time it takes for a person to become aware of the situation and respond (3/4 of a second?), the the computer has already noticed and responded in a fraction of that time.

What would have been the result if Autopilot wasn't engaged? I don't want to think about it.

Now we just need autonomous trucks.
First post and first near death experience in our Model 3 (purchased in March), and I’m seriously impressed by the way Autopilot (and some luck?) helped us escape a very bad situation.

The car was in navigate on Autopilot mode and a truck came into our lane without warning. Before I could move my foot to the brake, the car had engaged full emergency braking and steered us precisely between a 30,000 lbs semi and the concrete barrier. I’m still amazed we made it out.

Pretty strong case in how autonomous vehicles can be safer than a human could ever be. In the time it takes for a person to become aware of the situation and respond (3/4 of a second?), the the computer has already noticed and responded in a fraction of that time.

What would have been the result if Autopilot wasn't engaged? I don't want to think about it.

Wow that is impressive and reassuring.

While AP did perform well in this situation, I don't think it can be considered safer than what an attentive human driver could have done.

AP reacted to the situation. A human driver paying attention to the surroundings, would have been able to somewhat predict what was about to happen. Noticing the semi getting in the lane next to me, I would have already been getting ready to take evasive actions, much earlier than AP reacted. Essentially I wouldn't have ended up in the situation where AP had to step in: either accelerate a bit before the semi is even in the next lane or let off, just not to be right next to it for such a long time.

@cucubits, I highly doubt that anyone could have predicted that this truck would immediately move so quickly into the left lane after moving to the center lane.

As to your ability to foresee the future I don’t see how you could have predicted that. It was Tesla’s intelligent systems that likely saved this person’s life.

That video should be seen by anyone thinking about buying this unbelievably fantastic line of vehicles.

“IF” that truck driver had any Tesla hate, he “may” have paid for it with his job. Certainly, all trucking firms I’ve dealt with would do an immediate termination. Would he have learned his lesson? Human nature, being what it is, .....

The Tesla driver was not driving alongside the 18 wheeler. He was passing it.

And I question the blind spot claim. These mirrors should all have convex round mirrors on them, probably built in. In any event, the truck driver was flat wrong. It is his responsibility to ensure the lane was clear before moving into it. We do t need those kind of truckers, even if they auger well for Tesla self driving trucks.

The classic answer to the command qualifying board question asking what would you do if you found yourself in a particular situation is: I would never allow myself to be in that situation. To which the board says: good for you, but you are, now what do you do.

For those that say punch it, that means you are hoping whatever is in front stays clear. For those that say hammer the brakes, you are hoping no one is on your tail or about to be.

what is it... 36 trillion calculations a second the HW3 chip can do? I suspect it’s situational awareness is better than mine. And it takes decisive action. It may be wrong, but it likely takes the safest and goes hard.

I am with the original post. This is a great data point to show the car can and does protect. Of course, Tesla should also have this video to wire in some rules “to never be in this situation”. Still a long way to go.

That’s bananas!

Reactions: EinSV
While AP did perform well in this situation, I don't think it can be considered safer than what an attentive human driver could have done.

AP reacted to the situation. A human driver paying attention to the surroundings, would have been able to somewhat predict what was about to happen. Noticing the semi getting in the lane next to me, I would have already been getting ready to take evasive actions, much earlier than AP reacted. Essentially I wouldn't have ended up in the situation where AP had to step in: either accelerate a bit before the semi is even in the next lane or let off, just not to be right next to it for such a long time.

I was starting to roll my eyes at the beginning of your reply, but you had me by the end. Staying out of trouble and predicting what might happen is a lot of what a truly good driver does.

Don't be beside the semi.
Make sure the semi driver sees you.
Know where your “out” is.

It all adds up to a safer driver and if you’re doing it right, only the most attentive passengers will even know what you’re doing or why you’re doing it. They’ll just feel more comfortable in your car with you driving.

Reactions: OPRCE

This X 1000

Cutting off another driver is not (yet) a death-penalty infraction. The truck driver should certainly be cited (and probably drug-tested lol) but let's put down the pitchforks and torches. I am curious if this footage is sufficient to take legal action.

Faced with a similar situation, my instinct would have been to floor it and try to get in front, rather than brake to allow most of the truck length to pass me by. But Autopilot is probably smarter than me.

Reckless driving is what that truck driver did and he/she should get a citation for it............

Based on the posted footage, I don't think you would have had the room to floor it and be able to avoid the truck as the front of the truck already blocked you from being able to get pass it. Braking was the best option in this situation because the truck rear hasn’t moved into the lane yet.

Reactions: EinSV