Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD saved us from being crushed by a semi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While AP did perform well in this situation, I don't think it can be considered safer than what an attentive human driver could have done.

AP reacted to the situation. A human driver paying attention to the surroundings, would have been able to somewhat predict what was about to happen. Noticing the semi getting in the lane next to me, I would have already been getting ready to take evasive actions, much earlier than AP reacted. Essentially I wouldn't have ended up in the situation where AP had to step in: either accelerate a bit before the semi is even in the next lane or let off, just not to be right next to it for such a long time.
True, but there's no reason to think that future improvements couldn't bring predictive behavior. You can already see it doing this compared it where it was a year ago. Now if another car is wanting to merge into me lane and it's ahead of me, my car often slows down to let the other car merge. It could do the same thing in a situation like this.

When driving I always use the full width of the lane to stay away from oncoming traffic by keeping away from the center line or to give more clearance from the side of the road when there is no oncoming traffic. Autopilot doesn't do this it sticks to the center of the lane all of the time.

Well that is not true.... at least not in my car with a recent firmware version. Wife and I notice that when passing a large vehicle, the car moves about a foot further away from the center line until it passes the vehicle and then goes back to the center line.

I'd give AP a 7.5 out of 10. I think the future version will know to floor it while moving a tad to the left....
In my opinion that would be too risky. If not being able to get clear of the truck in time so that the truck clips the back end of a car even slightly, it could cause the car to roll especially at a much higher speed while passing. And then you get run over by an 80,000 pound truck. I doubt a future firmware would ever make that move unless the car is more even with the cab and likely to clear it. Hitting the accelerator is not something I would do unless I were farther ahead. In this case AP would likely out-think my decision. Pretty impressive.

First post and first near death experience in our Model 3 (purchased in March), and I’m seriously impressed by the way Autopilot (and some luck?) helped us escape a very bad situation.

I made a little video from the dashcam footage. You can see it here:

The car was in navigate on Autopilot mode and a truck came into our lane without warning. Before I could move my foot to the brake, the car had engaged full emergency braking and steered us precisely between a 30,000 lbs semi and the concrete barrier. I’m still amazed we made it out.

Pretty strong case in how autonomous vehicles can be safer than a human could ever be. In the time it takes for a person to become aware of the situation and respond (3/4 of a second?), the the computer has already noticed and responded in a fraction of that time.

What would have been the result if Autopilot wasn't engaged? I don't want to think about it.

Now we just need autonomous trucks.

While AP did perform well in this situation, I don't think it can be considered safer than what an attentive human driver could have done.

AP reacted to the situation. A human driver paying attention to the surroundings, would have been able to somewhat predict what was about to happen. Noticing the semi getting in the lane next to me, I would have already been getting ready to take evasive actions, much earlier than AP reacted. Essentially I wouldn't have ended up in the situation where AP had to step in: either accelerate a bit before the semi is even in the next lane or let off, just not to be right next to it for such a long time.

There was a human driving the car.

Teslas DO predictive analyses continually, hence the dual computers. Take a look at the autonomy day video on YouTube or wherever. There’s a great explanation by the AI software guy.

Pretty strong case in how autonomous vehicles can be safer than a human could ever be. In the time it takes for a person to become aware of the situation and respond (3/4 of a second?), the the computer has already noticed and responded in a fraction of that time.

You were really fortunate. I was most impressed that after the crash was avoided, the car just calmly kept driving! Bet you're glad they don't record the interior cam!

Thanks for the post!

• Funny
Reactions: BarnabySydney
Just curious what AP would have done if there was a car behind you?? Slowing down that quickly could have been ugly for all three.

Exactly, which is the point of my previous post that the OP is applauding AP for saving him when he should recognize that AP got lucky after putting him in a dangerous situation.

Lots of disapproves to my post, but then lots confirmed what I said in their posts afterwards.

The disapproves are the fanboys and the people that don’t know how to drive defensively. And there’s a lot of you that stink at driving so that AP is an improvement over your driving even though it stinks too.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits and EinSV
When I worked as an engineer on the oil rigs in Africa, it was tough job because a lot of equipment failed, there was huge pressure to get the job done and done right, and there was little by way of backup equipment.

Lots of fellow engineers would be applauded for saving the day when they got into a bind. I didn't have too many of those atta-boys because I was more prepared than everyone else and avoided getting into binds (I spent more time inventorying my equipment, learning about the equipment inside and out, pre-checking and double-checking equipment, making sure items didn't get damaged in shipping to the rigs, etc).

AP didn't save your life, it almost killed you.

And this is the big problem with any self driving aids like AP. AP doesn't know, and will never know, how to drive defensively. It was just keeping a fixed distance from the car in front, and you never should have been there. You got lucky that AP was able to help get you out the bind it put you in for this scenario. Here in Houston, those barriers are rarely lined up properly, and I really doubt AP could have handled one the barriers jutting out. Being lucky that AP didn't happen to kill me is not a win in my book.

When I worked as an engineer on the oil rigs in Africa, it was tough job because a lot of equipment failed, there was huge pressure to get the job done and done right, and there was little by way of backup equipment.

Lots of fellow engineers would be applauded for saving the day when they got into a bind. I didn't have too many of those atta-boys because I was more prepared than everyone else and avoided getting into binds (I spent more time inventorying my equipment, learning about the equipment inside and out, pre-checking and double-checking equipment, making sure items didn't get damaged in shipping to the rigs, etc).

AP didn't save your life, it almost killed you.

And this is the big problem with any self driving aids like AP. AP doesn't know, and will never know, how to drive defensively. It was just keeping a fixed distance from the car in front, and you never should have been there. You got lucky that AP was able to help get you out the bind it put you in for this scenario. Here in Houston, those barriers are rarely lined up properly, and I really doubt AP could have handled one the barriers jutting out. Being lucky that AP didn't happen to kill me is not a win in my book.

I see this board cannot show emoticons

I completely agree with you.