Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD saved us from being crushed by a semi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The stuff of nightmares, there. I am impressed you left AP engaged, my first reaction would have been to disengage AP. No way I would have trusted it with that, but glad it handled it well. I also might have punched it to get in front as someone mentioned, but I don’t think AP’s algorithms work that way, especially if punching it required you to exceed the set speed.

I drive AP at full attention to the road. And should have been more wary of this truck, for sure.To your point, I don't think we would have made it out by punching it once the truck started to move over.

When the truck began to encroach my foot moved to the brake, which already engaged fully engaged - assuming by AP, maybe just AEB? We went from about 75 to 30mph in less than a second. One hand went to the horn, and the other to try to split the difference between the concrete and the truck. AP dialed it so quick and so precisely, I didn't have anything better to add to the control. That's my memory.

I wish I had been more cautious around this truck. I assumed we were within his sight lines because we were overtaking from 100+ ft behind. Did not see the useless mirrors on the truck, or lack of signaling. I did not appreciate this driver's stupidity.

All hindsight 2020. Yes, I probably should have avoided this truck. Still, no excuse for his driving.

It's not about hindsight. It's about some people putting too much trust in current AP capabilities. Right now it saved you but that doesn't mean by a long shot that it can be trusted in any hairy situations. You got lucky but you can't say that without AP you'd have been off worse. Most likely you'd have been paying more attention to surroundings and get away from the semi way before he actually made his mistake.

We went from about 75 to 30mph in less than a second.

Ahh, good point. So AP essentially made the decision to slow vs speed up before you could react, so at that point you are committed. Plus you had less room to make it out the front (although the driver MIGHT have spotted you and swerved, but no guarantees they were even looking at the road driving like that.)

Glad you had to opportunity to be just angry with him for his terrible driving vs the alternative.

Most likely you'd have been paying more attention to surroundings and get away from the semi way before he actually made his mistake.

OP wasn't cruising along a semi. The semi literally encroached on the OPs lane from 2 lanes away. Most people wouldn't avoid a semi at the instant it comes next to them.

As for your thoughts on accidents and "paying attention," way to be captain obvious. Most accidents are obvious in hindsight. That's why they're accidents.

It's not about hindsight. It's about some people putting too much trust in current AP capabilities. Right now it saved you but that doesn't mean by a long shot that it can be trusted in any hairy situations. You got lucky but you can't say that without AP you'd have been off worse. Most likely you'd have been paying more attention to surroundings and get away from the semi way before he actually made his mistake.

Maybe. But if I had been in full control, I don't think I could have been on the brake fast enough, and I really don't think I could have escaped the tunnel cleanly without bouncing off either the concrete divider, the truck, or both.

Also, data point: I've been driving for 26 years and have never been involved in an accident. Knock on wood.

First post and first near death experience in our Model 3 (purchased in March), and I’m seriously impressed by the way Autopilot (and some luck?) helped us escape a very bad situation.

I made a little video from the dashcam footage. You can see it here:

The car was in navigate on Autopilot mode and a truck came into our lane without warning. Before I could move my foot to the brake, the car had engaged full emergency braking and steered us precisely between a 30,000 lbs semi and the concrete barrier. I’m still amazed we made it out.

Pretty strong case in how autonomous vehicles can be safer than a human could ever be. In the time it takes for a person to become aware of the situation and respond (3/4 of a second?), the the computer has already noticed and responded in a fraction of that time.

What would have been the result if Autopilot wasn't engaged? I don't want to think about it.

Now we just need autonomous trucks.

I'm having the opposite effect. I'm having ghost braking when using cruise control. Today i was going 75 and it slammed on the brakes until I took over at 30 on the highway. Thank GOD no one was behind me as I would have been killed. Everything in my car was in the front or on the windshield. Horrible.

Reactions: Ohelig and navychop
First post and first near death experience in our Model 3 (purchased in March), and I’m seriously impressed by the way Autopilot (and some luck?) helped us escape a very bad situation.

The car was in navigate on Autopilot mode and a truck came into our lane without warning. Before I could move my foot to the brake, the car had engaged full emergency braking and steered us precisely between a 30,000 lbs semi and the concrete barrier. I’m still amazed we made it out.

Pretty strong case in how autonomous vehicles can be safer than a human could ever be. In the time it takes for a person to become aware of the situation and respond (3/4 of a second?), the the computer has already noticed and responded in a fraction of that time.

What would have been the result if Autopilot wasn't engaged? I don't want to think about it.

The stuff of nightmares, there. I am impressed you left AP engaged, my first reaction would have been to disengage AP. No way I would have trusted it with that, but glad it handled it well. I also might have punched it to get in front as someone mentioned, but I don’t think AP’s algorithms work that way, especially if punching it required you to exceed the set speed.

I drive a truck on that same stretch of 95 by Meadowlands weekly.... both of then trucks should had been getting out of the left lane at that point before 280..
Also that was a short container....but closer to 60,000 lbs..not 30

Unfortunately, this won’t be anything you see in mainstream media if any kind. Just the bad stuff, or issues they used to have that they already solved, but are still coming up.

I just read an article recently about the issues with the battery packs on 2012 Model S..8 years later, and they’re still talking about that. And the occasional video of someone railing into a semi while not paying any attention.

When I worked as an engineer on the oil rigs in Africa, it was tough job because a lot of equipment failed, there was huge pressure to get the job done and done right, and there was little by way of backup equipment.

Lots of fellow engineers would be applauded for saving the day when they got into a bind. I didn't have too many of those atta-boys because I was more prepared than everyone else and avoided getting into binds (I spent more time inventorying my equipment, learning about the equipment inside and out, pre-checking and double-checking equipment, making sure items didn't get damaged in shipping to the rigs, etc).

AP didn't save your life, it almost killed you.

And this is the big problem with any self driving aids like AP. AP doesn't know, and will never know, how to drive defensively. It was just keeping a fixed distance from the car in front, and you never should have been there. You got lucky that AP was able to help get you out the bind it put you in for this scenario. Here in Houston, those barriers are rarely lined up properly, and I really doubt AP could have handled one the barriers jutting out. Being lucky that AP didn't happen to kill me is not a win in my book.

Last edited:

And I thought the biggest risk from Chiquita was slipping on a banana peel.

• Funny
Reactions: nimbuzz and gavine
Having logged over 350,000 Tesla miles over the last 11 years, I've been in situations like that several times, and in recent years I've encountered some truckers who see a Tesla coming and pretend like they are moving into your lane to trigger an Autopilot response. As such, if I am next to the cab (ahead of the trailer), I accelerate hard to get out of the way, over-riding Autopilot if necessary. While this is not advisable in an ICE car because of throttle lag and slower acceleration, it is the fastest way to get out of danger in a Tesla, and I consider it the safest maneuver for drivers who are consistently generous with following distance (as Autopilot is).