Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD score being affected by Auto Pilots hard braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed AP has the habit of braking hard at stop signs/lights. After watching this closely for several days and reviewing each short trip I have realized AP is clearly doing the hard braking my app is reporting. It did it this morning when I topped a hill with a light still 300+ yards away. It did it again when I approached a stop sign on my way home as I came down a hill (this one was more overt hard braking although still marginal). AP was on every time. The few times I took over did not involve breaking because regenerative braking did the job nicely. Anyone else noticing this?

It clearly states that "Hard braking while on Autopilot is not factored into the Safety Score formula" on:
so if you are seeing the opposite, that would be a bug as it's behavior is not intended. If this is affecting your insurance premium, this is a big problem. If not, does it really matter?

Upvote 0
Well if you have City Streets Beta FSD you shouldn’t have a safety score. And if you are not on City Streets Beta FSD you shouldn’t be running Auto Pilot on City Streets. Save it for the highway only. Just asking for trouble and you are getting it.

Upvote 0
When I was using the Safety Score, it would routinely ding me for hard braking on outings I was positive that I never touched the brake. It dinged for the regenerative braking being too forceful, I guess. Also, if you are moving 1 MPH and hit the brake, it will ding you for hard braking.

Upvote 0
Well if you have City Streets Beta FSD you shouldn’t have a safety score. And if you are not on City Streets Beta FSD you shouldn’t be running Auto Pilot on City Streets. Save it for the highway only. Just asking for trouble and you are getting it.
True, but traffic lights and stop signs are not exclusive to city streets, and it's not relevant to the OP's question. Other people have reported that events that occur when using AP have impacted their safety score, but there's no way to prove that one way or another. It would be good if you got some kind of alert message on the screen when a safety score "violation" occurs.

Upvote 0
True, but traffic lights and stop signs are not exclusive to city streets, and it's not relevant to the OP's question. Other people have reported that events that occur when using AP have impacted their safety score, but there's no way to prove that one way or another. It would be good if you got some kind of alert message on the screen when a safety score "violation" occurs.
Well it is relative. Stop using it. Problem solved. It’s somewhat ridiculous to use it.

Upvote 0
Well it is relative. Stop using it. Problem solved. It’s somewhat ridiculous to use it.
That would be unfortunate, I love the AP and a better solution is to make AP better by not braking harder than necessary.

Sane people ease off the accelerator in anticipation of slowing/stopping, AP should too...

AP had only 3 moves - it either (A) accelerates, or (B) maintains speed or (C) brakes hard using more than just regen (the grey bar appears on the left of green regen line)

It never eases off the juice to allow slow sensible regen.

Reactions: Patrick W
Upvote 0
The newest 11.x FSD evidently extends the long distance view for some things. However, it doesn't look like braking is considered earlier, or visually that there is a red light just ahead, and it continues to accelerate and then brake hard. Very unnatural feeling. Perhaps improvement though.
"- Extended maximum trajectory optimization horizon, resulting in smoother control for high curvature roads and far away vehicles when driving at highway speeds."

Upvote 0
That would be unfortunate, I love the AP and a better solution is to make AP better by not braking harder than necessary.

Sane people ease off the accelerator in anticipation of slowing/stopping, AP should too...

AP had only 3 moves - it either (A) accelerates, or (B) maintains speed or (C) brakes hard using more than just regen (the grey bar appears on the left of green regen line)

It never eases off the juice to allow slow sensible regen.
I agree. It's never going to improve if people don't use it. We are all beta testers, after all, so we are the ones who make it better.

Upvote 0