Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD should be renamed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The OP is likely a current “Tesla Hater” member using another log in trying to stir the pot yet again. Although, they all claim they aren’t.
Every name can be disputed, including “cruise control.” How is the car in control. ??
Along with a thousand other names, including aircraft autopilot. Which requires a pilot.

Folks hung up on this, are just interested in something to fight. So many people have that need these days.
Anyone that does 5 minutes of reading, will understand what it does. That’s the responsibility of a buyer. Know what your buying. Read the warnings, and capabilities.

Why get hung up on this ?

absolutely not. I love my m3 and have no regrets about buying it. I admire what Tesla are trying to achieve as a company

I’m not hung up on it. Just curious to see if other owners shared a similar view as there seemed to be so much recent hype about fsd. But for me the recent videos simply highlighted how far we have to go. I guess that’s part of what makes us human....forming differing opinions from essentially the same information

Tesla aimed to have full self driving cars, and call that system full self driving. The only reason why one would want them to change the name is if you don't believe they'll get there. Though what would be the supporting reason? Because they're not there today?

I don't want to be the crowd who say "you can't land an orbital rocket". I don't have the tech knowledge to go around saying how things aren't possible against a company who had been disrupting industries left and right.

Tesla aimed to have full self driving cars, and call that system full self driving. The only reason why one would want them to change the name is if you don't believe they'll get there. Though what would be the supporting reason? Because they're not there today?

I don't want to be the crowd who say "you can't land an orbital rocket". I don't have the tech knowledge to go around saying how things aren't possible against a company who had been disrupting industries left and right.

so by that logic I could sell a car as having a 1000mile range. The small print would clarify that the car is not capable of that right now but work was in progress to deliver on that pledge

so by that logic I could sell a car as having a 1000mile range. The small print would clarify that the car is not capable of that right now but work was in progress to deliver on that pledge

I don't think you could as the stated mileage of a car is actually government tested/regulated.

Further- if you read the actual page shown when you buy FSD these days, it's very explicit in FULL SIZE print what features you get TODAY (and at what level of automation)- and what features you are PROMISED to get in the future (autosteer on city streets being the ONLY one- and still promised only at L2).

If you get more, great- but that's not what Tesla says you're buying on the purchase page.

(they did used to promise a ton more on the purchase page, but that went away around Feb 2019- in theory they "owe" buyers before then considerably more and will have more of a legal issue if they end up unable to deliver it to them)

If the final result is full self driving, I have no issue if the marketing name is Full Self Driving (Beta). Or we can name it Fully McSelfdrivingface, but that doesn't change the functionality nor the eventuality of fsd. And no one has ever produced convincing evidence that OWNERS actually believe their car is fully autonomous right now and are recklessly killing themselves and others statistically higher than a regular dumb ICE.

Do people really think that by naming it something else, that the occasional accident won't occur? Despite the existing naming, the number of high profile/severity accidents on AP/FSD are really really low. Anecdotes really rule the headlines.

Hmm, by that logic, yes any company can sell you an option to extend the range of your car, but has a deliverable time that's on a later date. If I bought a car with 500mile range and purchased the 1000mile range upgrade promised for a later date, I'm not gonna push the car to 600miles and then say "but you said it's a 1000 mile upgrade!". The logic really isn't that misleading or complicated.

It's kind of weird logic in the world of promise delivery, but if you pre-order a truck that is not ready, they don't need to rename the truck to something like "not yet a real truck", since by the time the product is ready, it will be a truck. At least that's how I see the logic for full self driving as a feature. I'm not driving my car into a wall because FSD isn't here, or isn't ready yet.

Do people really think that by naming it something else, that the occasional accident won't occur? Despite the existing naming, the number of high profile/severity accidents on AP/FSD are really really low. Anecdotes really rule the headlines.

Yeah I think the most important note here is that 1) when FSD is near complete, it'll be better than human on a statistical aspect, but 2) no matter how good FSD is, someone is going to get hurt inevitably, and there will be a big stink about the name FSD. :)

Reactions: PACEMD
It's kind of weird logic in the world of promise delivery, but if you pre-order a truck that is not ready, they don't need to rename the truck to something like "not yet a real truck", since by the time the product is ready, it will be a truck.

That’s a fair point, except in the case of the pre-ordered truck you will not receive anything until the truck is finished and is actually a truck. With fsd you are receiving a part finished product immediately, which is incorrectly labelled as fsd.

• Disagree
Reactions: M109Rider

Misleading terminology can be an advantage for a consumer:

Tesla didn't invent a battery pack that would last half of a million miles just yet but it was willing to sell one since 2012 with a guaranty for 8 years or infinity miles.

"Infinity miles" sounds deceitful because Tesla couldn't possibly sell an Infinity Mile Battery since they didn't have that technology in the first place!. However, a German owner took advantage of that and drove 1,000,000 km or 621,000 miles and had 2 battery packs replacements for free.

Now Tesla doesn't offer "Infinity mile" battery warranty anymore.

If I have my way, I still prefer the deceitful term "Infinity miles" rather than the current limited-term for 150,000/120,000/100,000 miles depending on trims.

Reactions: Gasman23
absolutely not. I love my m3 and have no regrets about buying it. I admire what Tesla are trying to achieve as a company

I’m not hung up on it. Just curious to see if other owners shared a similar view as there seemed to be so much recent hype about fsd. But for me the recent videos simply highlighted how far we have to go. I guess that’s part of what makes us human....forming differing opinions from essentially the same information

It’s just what I thought. New Member, likely one of the “I hate Tesla guys here” with a second alias. :)
So you just want to see if others shared your view... Of course that’s it. LOL.

I’m relatively new to ownership. I’ve watched some of the recent fsd beta clips and thought that it’s way behind what I expected as a Tesla naive layman.

I think half the issue is calling it ‘full self driving’. I’m amazed that trading standards haven’t jumped on to this as there’s an argument for mis-selling. I’m certain there’s been accidents where individuals have over estimated the ability of the system. Surely it’s time for Tesla to rename the product based on what it can actually do..

When the word 'beta' is mentioned it means it's still a work in progress. Those who fail to heed the many warnings about the current abilities of the system deserve what they get. Hell, they may even earn a Darwin award.

• Funny
Reactions: Phlier and Gasman23