Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The speed limit on a road I take to work drops from 50 MPH down to 35 as it enters a residential area. When the car passes the 35 MPH sign, the speed limit on the screen drops, but the car takes about a quarter mile to actually slow down. It almost feels like the computer puts the car in neutral and lets it coast until the speed drops and it's definitely not using regenerative braking at all and If I disengage AP/FSD the car readily slows down.

Has anyone else experienced this? FSD already does a poor job anticipating speed limit changes, not responding until you actually pass the sign but this actually worse. My concern is it's not uncommon for cops to lurk in the area so I could justifiably get a ticket if I let FSD do it's thing.
This is my experience also, and it makes FSD challenging to use on rural highways with lots of small-town speed traps. I end up manually using the thumb wheel to begin the slowdown as soon as I see a sign, but there’s no reason FSD (or Autopilot) shouldn’t do this without my intervention.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

The car needs to use maps for the speed limit setting.

Humans know what the new speed limit is before we even reach the sign so we've already adjusted our speed down to it before we reach it. Unless we're total morons, and in that case a cop is hidden somewhere just past the speed limit sign to nab us.
Back when they did this I commuted on the street that showed the wrong speed limit on whatever map they were relying on. The car would always slow down on this street and I would have to manually increase the speed. It was sort of annoying.

Reactions: sleepydoc