Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Software Stack Crash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KArnold

May 21, 2017
Columbus OH
On 11.3.6, had an interesting experience.

Engaged about 150' away from a stop sign, driving very slowly (no other traffic), I engaged. Route showed the expected left. Car accelerated but the car was not stopping for the sign. Manually braked and "Red Hands of Death" came up simultaneously, aka RHoD. OK, maybe I engaged too closely to the sign for engaging? I actually think I saw that happen in one of Chuck's videos.

Ok, those things happen. What happened next I've not seen.

Now with FSDb engaged on the 2-lane 35 MPH road (I'm doing 38). On a curve just before a stoplight, there are two school busses pulled over but half in my lane - no flashing lights. I disengage due to the cirmstances. Past the light, I re-engage. Car drives and steers normally for a couple miles. At the next light with a dedicated left turn lane I intend to turn left. Map shows left turn. Car does not signal nor attemp to enter the turn lane. I disengage and manually enter the lane and signal. Now stopped at light, I re-engage FSDb. Route show left turn. Light turns green for a protected left. And it does a half turn facing a ditch, and gives the RHoD again.

So. Still trying to digest what I'm seeing. I re-engage FSDb and it's driving the car. About 4 miles further on the curvy road, I'm making right at a light. Route shows right. There is a lead car. Stopped at light. Start to move, and FSD doesn't signal nor attempt to turn.

I've made these same turns hundreds of times. Almost daily. Apparently the FSD stack got strangely foobarred in a silent but potentially dangerous way. That's why it's beta. Don't give this beast too much h rope.

Anyway, now that I'm at my destination. Think I'll reboot the car 🤔

With 11.3.6 I had a couple of events in a similar vein: picking completely the wrong lane and not even trying to make a turn shown on the nav, and on another occasion just blowing through a red light like it wasn't there even through it was shown on the screen and nav showed us going straight.

I haven't experimented much, but I think what made both of these unique was I had changed the nav destination while already on FSD either without any nav (the first event) or switching to a new destination while already navigating to another one. I haven't seen it act like this in dozens of other interactions at the same 2 intersections with the same nav destinations (but w/o having messed around reprogramming the destination after I already started).

Reactions: KArnold