Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Speed Limit of 80?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I downloaded 10.3.1 on Friday and have been using it cautiously this weekend. On Sunday I had a 180 mile drive to Austin, TX. The speed limits of some highways down here are significantly higher than in other states. For example, two stretches of highway have posted speed limits of 80 and 85 mph.

I found FSD was generally accurate on the highway, but with a limit of 80 mph it was somewhat unsafe. Cars traveling with the flow of traffic were often 10mph faster than me, and when I used the accelerator to bump up to 85 or 90, all hell broke loose and I had to disengage the Autopilot.

I know it's still beta, but would this be a good issue to file a support ticket on? Tapping the breaks or swerving to disengage the AP with 90 mph traffic around you is not a good scenario.

I downloaded 10.3.1 on Friday and have been using it cautiously this weekend. On Sunday I had a 180 mile drive to Austin, TX. The speed limits of some highways down here are significantly higher than in other states. For example, two stretches of highway have posted speed limits of 80 and 85 mph.

I found FSD was generally accurate on the highway, but with a limit of 80 mph it was somewhat unsafe. Cars traveling with the flow of traffic were often 10mph faster than me, and when I used the accelerator to bump up to 85 or 90, all hell broke loose and I had to disengage the Autopilot.

I know it's still beta, but would this be a good issue to file a support ticket on? Tapping the breaks or swerving to disengage the AP with 90 mph traffic around you is not a good scenario.
If you re-read the FSD email, you'll find this:
1635790551965.png

So no, not a bug.

Also, you can push the gear stalk up to gracefully disengage AutoPilot.

and when I used the accelerator to bump up to 85 or 90, all hell broke loose and I had to disengage the Autopilot.

the "all hell" breaking loose is the car disengaging AP for you. And if you tried to turn it back on, it would deny you. That's AP jail. Expected behavior for going over the max limit, which is 80 for FSD beta testing vision-only. 90 otherwise.

Last edited:
I just finished a roadtrip across the country. From Florida to California. Taking I-10 nearly the entire way. For a vast majority of the length of I-10, the speed limit is 75. Which means people drive 85-90 in the fast lane. On the right lane, trucks average 67-70. Which means as someone who is locked to 80 MPH, you cannot coast in the fast lane. And you cannot stay in the right lane for longer than a couple minutes before getting stuck behind another truck. I found myself switching from the left lane as someone was speeding up on me, and when I hit a truck in the right. The implication of this speed limit change means you can't relax and are always on edge anticipating either one of two scenarios.

Haha yeah I learned that the hard way Sunday.. just pushed it to 82-83 to pass some * watching videos on their phone on the interstate..
I wish there would have been more of a graceful warning though. It just went from the AP doesn't break while accelerator is pressed message to the full blown screaming/beeping red take control. I could have easily turned it off and avoided going to AP jail. (I don't think I tried it with the old version does it act the same?)

Reactions: robrich
Sure is a long beta limit. I wish they would correct this. Unfortunately, I rarely use AP on the freeways anymore. I never agreed with it putting you in AP jail for exceeding the limit. Disengage it if they feel they must, but if a driver is accelerating manually, clearly they're paying attention at that moment. For it to be the same penalty as not paying attention at all is too harsh. Getting put in AP jail for ignoring requests to put your hands on the wheel certainly warrants it. Manually exceeding the speed limit to safely complete a pass or get out of someone's way or whatever other reason you might need to accelerate 5 MPH over the speed limit is just too excessive. Maybe at least a warning, then if you don't disengage or slow down, OK fine. But to instantly put you in AP jail just means I don't use it at all. I can actually live with the limit at 80 if that's what they feel they need it at. Just don't give me the same penalty for something that is a much worse offense. Like giving someone the same penalty for a parking ticket as they would get for drunk driving.

Reactions: RealDeal