Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It should be top priority.

Because - as we have discussed in this thread so many times and in so many ways - you can't tell if the car is doing the right thing or is about to do something bad, if it keeps jiggling the steering wheel. Steering wheel movement gives tactical and early information about the intent of the car, which we should use to disengage if something bad is going to happen. Afterall this is beta and Tesla wants us to very closely monitor and intervene. How can we monitor and intervene when the intent is not clear early ? Currently we are all taking a big chance to let it jiggle and then move. As others have indicated - they just disengage if the wheel turns the wrong way.

Its relevent to figure out the context before asking stuff like - "do you know all this is new tech?!".
The rapid steering movements are when you're going really slow. There's no immanent danger. You have plenty of time to intervene in the unusual event it doesn't actually follow the correct path around the turn. After all, the steering wheel movement is because FSD is trying to diligently follow the path.

When you are up to speed and the path planner wants to put you in the wrong place suddenly, that can be dangerous.

Last edited:
Well since I’m a beta tester I have it on FSD almost all the time but I am on top of it when I first got the car I was a lot more lax than now because it will do unexpected things like today. I was driving down a four-lane residential street and all of a sudden it decided to change lanes left when there was a car right next to me and I had to overtake it and I do not understand with all the cameras and the AI and the computer why it almost ran into a car to my left but I saved the day. Then last weekend I was on the freeway and a semi was entering the freeway and the car freaked out and slammed on the brakes that’s happened to me a bunch it’s a 15-year-old student driver with a low IQ . When it works great it works wonderfully well just always be prepared for something out of left field that you’ve got immediately take over and do something about or else risk an accident. Don’t get me wrong I absolutely love the fact that the car can actually do FSD but it is definitely not ready for prime time or people that are completely lackadaisical about watching everything like a hawk

Yes that small little icon is tough to head sometimes when you're trying to avoid catastrophe but I do press it a lot
Definitely drive safely, and disengage when appropriate. You have a good margin to press the report button as it collects several seconds of material and telemetry in the past. I'd say you're good up to 10 seconds after the incident, which is plenty of time to correct the behavior or disengage and resume manual driving.

Reactions: drtimhill