Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD steering wheel nag sensitivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

haroldo

Apr 20, 2021
NJ
Not sure if this has been discussed, but has anybody noticed a difference in sensitivity with steering wheel nag reminders while using FSD?
It seems when using FSD, when I get a nag reminder I have to shake the wheel back-and-forth, vigorously, five or six times for the nag to go away.
When I’m not using FSD, the slightest pressure twisting the wheel will reset the nag reminder.
With FSD I always hold wheel with both hands and regularly apply pressure to both sides.
Thanks!

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I know this doesn't answer your question directly, but another way to let the car know you’re being attentive is to just jog one of the scroll wheels. I find it easier than applying force to the steering wheel. I don’t yet have FSD Beta yet (waiting at 98) but this method works with Autopilot. I assume it would work the same way with FSD Beta.

The other frustrating thing is when nags occur during an automated maneuver. This is poor design, since user can inadvertently override by twisting too forcefully during a lane shift, etc.
There's one part of my daily commute where car moves from service road, to acceleration lane, then onto highway, then quickly merge over a lane as right lane ends. This takes more than 15 seconds, which, I believe is the length of the nag timer.
As such, I have to play with wheel (or scroll) while car is accelerating on to a highway

I only learned BASIC, but I believe it's an easy program update ...
Line 1 -if car is doing an automated maneuver, reset the nag clock.
Line 2 - end

Especially since ninety degree turns are best performed if there's no pressure on wheel

I haven't had an issue with the nag while using FSD except for one complaint. Sometimes I'll be at a red light or stop sign waiting to turn right, and so I will lean way foward and look to the right to see if it is safe for FSD to go, and it will beep at me :(. Seems wrong to beep at me when I'm doing what I should to make sure it is safe to go...

I've had poor luck putting two hands on the wheel, it always starts nagging even if I try to put some differential torque on (its hard to hang one hand harder than the other). Hanging one hand on the wheel near the bottom (usually the right with arm on the center rest) works really well for me (with and w/o beta). Trying to 'wiggle' it with 2 hands is hit or miss, constant pressure on one side or the other works much better for me.

I also find that its very hard to keep your hands on the wheel while FSD shakes me around like a bowl of jello while trying to make a turn -- if I try to maintain contact with the wheel I usually end up causing it to disengage in the middle of the maneuver. What I've been doing is right before the turn I let go of the wheel and just hover over it with both hands and let it do the wild epileptic dance that is FSD.

I haven't had an issue with the nag while using FSD except for one complaint. Sometimes I'll be at a red light or stop sign waiting to turn right, and so I will lean way foward and look to the right to see if it is safe for FSD to go, and it will beep at me :(. Seems wrong to beep at me when I'm doing what I should to make sure it is safe to go...
I've had this problem too but under really specific conditions (I reported it in detail to the beta email). Basically driving in a city at night if I look left/right for cross traffic before entering an intersection (with FSD driving) it gets mad at me. During the day or in more open terrain, no problem.

• Informative
Almost got timeout today for holding a coffee mug in my right hand with my left hand on the wheel. Couldn't figure out what was happening at first as I had pressure on the wheel, wasnt drinking from it, and eyes on the road.

Later on my 5 hour drive it started alerting again with my left on the wheel and my right across my chest resting on my left bicep. Was able to duplicate that.

The DMS, imo, is finicky and overly sensitive.

Thanks all, but let me try to steer this thread back to the intended subject, specifically, if you noticed a difference in sensitivity between the nag system (for want of an better term) when using FSD, versus the basic version of Autopilot when FSD is not in use.
Thanks

Thanks all, but let me try to steer this thread back to the intended subject, specifically, if you noticed a difference in sensitivity between the nag system (for want of an better term) when using FSD, versus the basic version of Autopilot when FSD is not in use.
Thanks
I suspect that it is the same but the way you interact and (human) perception are the differences.

On the highway in the AP stack we are relaxed and loosely hold the wheel and can easily give it a gentle shake. On FSD Beta stack you are holding the wheel with a tighter grip ready to take over at any second and on "the edge of your seat". This extra adrenaline makes you feel like it is more sensitive but it is you that is more "brutal". Also add to this the fact that the wheel is generally VERY active/jerky while you are trying to torque it. This is a recipe for for making it seem more sensitive.

I suspect that it is the same but the way you interact and (human) perception are the differences.
I agree, to a point.
On Autopilot, a tiny flick one way, or the other, always resets the nag timer.
With FSD, on many occasions, I am forced to shake the wheel, rather forcefully (but not so much so to override), up and down five or six times before the blue disappear. Needless to say, I feel uncomfortable diverting part of my attention to the screen to watch it go away.
This is what I'm trying to figure out, if it's just me, or are others having to be more vigorous with the wheel when using FSD.
I rarely get warnings when it's on the local streets stack, this is mainly highway driving with FSD (not highway with AP)

• Informative
Reactions: dogldogl
I agree, to a point.
On Autopilot, a tiny flick one way, or the other, always resets the nag timer.
With FSD, on many occasions, I am forced to shake the wheel, rather forcefully (but not so much so to override), up and down five or six times before the blue disappear. Needless to say, I feel uncomfortable diverting part of my attention to the screen to watch it go away.
This is what I'm trying to figure out, if it's just me, or are others having to be more vigorous with the wheel when using FSD.
I rarely get warnings when it's on the local streets stack, this is mainly highway driving with FSD (not highway with AP)
Drove to work this morning with your post in mind.

Loose one hand feel on the bottom right with arm on the console. FSD beta stack the whole way (no NoA).

Felt the same to me as NoA on the freeway. Also figured out where I could hold the coffee mug b/w sips...

Drove to work this morning with your post in mind.

Loose one hand feel on the bottom right with arm on the console. FSD beta stack the whole way (no NoA).

Felt the same to me as NoA on the freeway. Also figured out where I could hold the coffee mug b/w sips...
Thanks, but did you get any "blue warnings".
The issue I'm wondering about isn't preventing the warnings with normal driving, which I assume I'm doing reasonably well, as I don't get the blue warnings too frequently.
Instead,, what I'm trying to figure out is, once the car is warning you, I'm finding that a simple flick doesn't easily reset (as easily as it does with AP). In my case I have to violently shake the wheel,

I keep gentle but constant torque on the wheel. Very rarely get any sort of alert at all In FSD mode or in NOA mode. I do inadvertently disconnect FSD mode all the time by overriding when it is doing its typical left turn gyrations. For me, FSD’s large jerky movements usually result in an intervention since I always have a firm grip on the wheel and won’t let it move quickly.

Not sure if this has been discussed, but has anybody noticed a difference in sensitivity with steering wheel nag reminders while using FSD?
It seems when using FSD, when I get a nag reminder I have to shake the wheel back-and-forth, vigorously, five or six times for the nag to go away.
When I’m not using FSD, the slightest pressure twisting the wheel will reset the nag reminder.
With FSD I always hold wheel with both hands and regularly apply pressure to both sides.
Thanks!
I've noticed it being much less sensitive, especially if I'm looking forward in the general direction of the road ahead.
As an aside, you mention "regularly apply pressure to both sides" - its difficult to imagine how doing that would apply torque to the wheel.
Only mention that in case FSD is now more sensitive to the way you personally apply torque - you never know.
My method is to apply enough torque for me to detect the steering movements made by the car, usually turning it in the direction I expect the car to go, especially with FSD.
Obviously the wild spinning of FSD when its figuring itself out makes that somewhat harder :D

you mention "regularly apply pressure to both sides" - its difficult to imagine how doing that would apply torque to the wheel
Meaning that I keep pressure on wheel and periodic slight twisting. The times I get the blue warning, is when I’m not twisting.
I wanted to emphasize that I’m not one to try and get away with the least interactions possibly

Thanks!
Have has similar issue. Also grip on steering wheel has to be very tight or waring goes off !

Reactions: haroldo