Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD subscription announced by Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know I going to piss off some diehard tesla owners, but what about giving me something I will use every day.
-BSM, (even if it is just a chime)
-Sirius
-Cross traffic indicator
-Apple or android car play

I would pay to get those items. Offer them and see how many people jump on it.

And by the way we all paid the same amount for our cars (depending on trim) so we can love the car but still wish for what seems to be basic on most cars.
I'd pay an extra $5 a month on top of "premium connectivity" to get Waze and Car Play. Without hesitation.

I congratulate everyone who has $7/day to spend on their car changing lanes and stopping at stop lights. You could feed a homeless person indefinitely for that cost. If you choose to do that instead, Start a thread where others can pile in.
As someone who was once homeless and now makes a 6 figure income - I find your comment offensive. If you don’t “have” $7/day to throw on FSD then that is your business. But don’t throw shade on those who are subscribing. It just makes you look bitter. How he or she decides to waste their money is their business. I’m sure you spend money on other things that I wouldn’t day to day - doesn’t make you any better or worse.
I’m going to guess that you haven’t experienced this “now obtainable” feature set yet for yourself…

BTW, feeding the homeless wouldn’t stop the ROOT cause. Homeless people aren’t without help because they are hungry. There are much bigger challenges to overcome. Addiction, mental illness for example. $7/day doesn’t fix that! 👍

I tried It. No thanks. Autopilot works well for me. Navigate on autopilot scared the living hell out of me multiple times over the past few days… hard intense braking for no apparent reason, the sitting there after doing that on the highway at low speed with cars behind me. Lane changes while fast moving cars approach in that lane, etc. Summon was entertaining to my kids the first time but that’s about it. If they offered changing lanes with autopilot for $25/month, I might bite.

I tried It. No thanks. Autopilot works well for me. Navigate on autopilot scared the living hell out of me multiple times over the past few days… hard intense braking for no apparent reason, the sitting there after doing that on the highway at low speed with cars behind me. Lane changes while fast moving cars approach in that lane, etc. Summon was entertaining to my kids the first time but that’s about it. If they offered changing lanes with autopilot for $25/month, I might bite.
Lol, $25 won’t even get you a Tesla T-shirt. 😂

I have FSD on my current 2020 3. I’m trading it in on a 2021 3 which I’m picking up August 3. I agree that it can be scary to use at times. I’m no getting it on my new car. It’s not worth 10 K IMO. I’ve not used regular Autopilot on my current car. I’m hoping Autopilot will be fine for me too.

Here’s the feature update screen… I may post my impressions here after I try it out.
Just a quick update after I’ve had a few drives with this FSD puppy.
First, very happy I didn’t decide to plunk down $5k.
Now I will say that the 1000ft or show warning that the car is approaching a 🛑 or 🚦 is a good extra.
It can be annoying in lots of ways; pick up on a 🛑 that is from a side road rather than in your right of way path, slowing done way too soon for my tastes, or doing wonky thinks like a quick auto brake event.

Tesla warns about some of this behavior and suggests that there is AI learning that makes the system more reliable. Now they don’t say how long the training loop is.
Anyway, $99/mo, assuming you already had EAP to begin with, is about all it is worth(opinion). Probably the minute I get too annoyed by behavior that I don’t like, I turn it off in settings and cancel.

Thanks for listening and great/valuable comments in this thread! BTW, $7/day lunch or help to those in need is a great usage choice of disposable income and a good alternative to this rather minor improvement in assisted driving feature. So is promoting EVs and the tech to help save the planet. Party on!

Reactions: Gy2020
I'm using the FSD subscription too. I like the traffic control notification and the green light chime. Having to acknowledge a green light tho is counterintuitive and IMHO, a bit of a hazard. NOA is OK but I drive in the Seattle metro area and AP/NOA is a little too conservative for this area. By that I mean there's a hesitation from when the car indicates a traffic move, and then when and how it does it. It's also not very smooth. Acceleration and braking can sometimes be abrupt, lane changes too. And when it senses speed sign changes, deceleration isn't gentle at all. It's abrupt, and often times it drops the speed far below the posted limit, prompting me to mash the accelerator pedal to get the speed back up. In this scenario, I would much prefer a chime and a visual notice, like a red flashing speed sign to let me know that the car sensed a speed limit change. Sometimes it changes to a posted limit that isn't actual. Not sure how it makes that decision, but on more than one occasion I've had the car drop the speed from 60 to 30 after sensing a 40MPH speed sign (that wasn't there BTW). That really makes following drivers unhappy. Finally, summon makes my car behave as if it was drunk.

At this point, and in my own opinion, FSD isn't worth the $200 subscription price and it sure as hell isn't worth $10k. Other car makers have advanced cruise control features that are approaching or as good as AP, a couple are better, so the Tesla value prop is diminishing. Still love my Tesla, but not willing to step up to the price of entry for their version of enhanced cruise control.

sub came out 24 hrs before we left on a 2000 mile road trip.

we tried it. GREAT for a trip. but day to day... nah. UNLESS I could buy lane change assist somehow.

other stuff I considered very cool, and useful but ultimately, parlor tricks...

-Downtown Breckenridge, noticed the autopark button, clicked it. Parallel parked while I looked at the mountains and shops lol
-On the way home, stopped at PF Changs in Des Moines for wife's bday. clicked the summon on the way out. Absolutely Loved it but... meh. not at all worth what theyre charging.

But again, lane change assist... ALL IN on that one.