Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD subscription for road trips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning on taking a road trip in September with my Model 3. I have the basic standard Autopilot, which has been super useful for road trips in the past, but I'm wondering if I should try out the FSD subscription.

I'm wondering what people's experiences are on road trips with FSD vs basic Autopilot. (TACC and Autosteer) Is it worth the 199?

Also, I'm getting mixed messages about how long it takes to get into FSD Beta after enrolling in the queue. I already have a safety score of 98 via Tesla Insurance, which I don't know is good enough, and also I've heard people saying FSD Beta isn't taking more people right now all the way to one post where it said they got in after 7 days.

On a road trip, most of your driving is on highways/freeways. Basic AP will carry you through most of it. Subscribing will get you NoA, which will handle highway/freeway interchanges, and automatic lane changes for speed (if you configure it). It will also give you autoparking and summon features (for getting into and out of tight parking spaces).

FSD Beta is for testing the Autosteer on City Streets portion. You can only get into that via an invitation, which people don't know when Telsa will send them out. Don't get your hopes up that you'll get into it before your trip.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I'm planning on taking a road trip in September with my Model 3. I have the basic standard Autopilot, which has been super useful for road trips in the past, but I'm wondering if I should try out the FSD subscription.

I'm wondering what people's experiences are on road trips with FSD vs basic Autopilot. (TACC and Autosteer) Is it worth the 199?

Also, I'm getting mixed messages about how long it takes to get into FSD Beta after enrolling in the queue. I already have a safety score of 98 via Tesla Insurance, which I don't know is good enough, and also I've heard people saying FSD Beta isn't taking more people right now all the way to one post where it said they got in after 7 days.
You will not get FSD beta during your subscription. Also, it doesn’t really do anything on the highway that regular FSD wouldn’t.

I certainly prefer it over standard AP for the lane-changing capabilities on long road trips.

I always subscribe to FSD for the road trips and unsubscribe within that month. I get full 1 month of FSD subscription. I have 98 score and couldn’t get FSD beta yet. I think this version behaves like Enhanced Autopilot.

I typically rely on Auto Lane change, parallel parking features. It takes exits but at dangerous speeds on the ramp, often times ignoring speed limits. I takeover when there’s upcoming exit. Nevertheless with FSD, driving becomes simple tap and accept lane changes on interstate highways. On state highways, it detects traffic lights and proceeds whenever it is safe to go. It doesn’t make turns yet.
On my two long trips (4000, 2000 miles) FSD helped me immensely.

It struggles whenever there is bad weather such as rain, snow, strong head light behind the car. Manual driving is recommended during that time.

So if you have enhanced autopilot, and you sign up for an FSD subscription for a month, what do you get?
Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 6.14.00 AM.png

Hi everyone, thanks for everyone's replies. I think I will still get the FSD subscription for my road trip for the Navigate on Autopilot and auto lane changes, but I'll be sure to keep my expectations reasonable about getting the FSD Beta. (would be amazing if I could get it though)

As for the beta, I don't follow Tesla news especially closely, but I recently heard of the cheekily numbered 10.69 update "rolling out" to more people. When they say that, do they mean more people who are already on the FSD Beta or people in the queue? At this point, it's just a matter of interest rather than hoping I'd get a chance to use it.

Hi everyone, thanks for everyone's replies. I think I will still get the FSD subscription for my road trip for the Navigate on Autopilot and auto lane changes, but I'll be sure to keep my expectations reasonable about getting the FSD Beta. (would be amazing if I could get it though)

As for the beta, I don't follow Tesla news especially closely, but I recently heard of the cheekily numbered 10.69 update "rolling out" to more people. When they say that, do they mean more people who are already on the FSD Beta or people in the queue? At this point, it's just a matter of interest rather than hoping I'd get a chance to use it.
They are just referring to the people already in Beta. 10.69.0 rolled out to 1000 people. 10.69.1 will roll out to 10,000 people. And 10.69.2 will roll out to the entire 100K people.

Reactions: Stellos

If you only subscribe for a month at a time, you won't get the FSD Beta anyway because it requires 30 days of Safety Score data. If you continue subscribing until you actually receive the Beta, I'm not sure if you keep it when you cancel your subscription and subscribe again later, but others here probably know that.

If you only subscribe for a month at a time, you won't get the FSD Beta anyway because it requires 30 days of Safety Score data. If you continue subscribing until you actually receive the Beta, I'm not sure if you keep it when you cancel your subscription and subscribe again later, but others here probably know that.
I think I got my hopes a little too high after reading this, but I already have more than several months of Safety Score data because I have Tesla Insurance. I know it's still a long shot but does that help my chances? My score has consistently been at or around 98-99.

I've only ever seen the number 100,000, or some "more than 100,000" reported. I've never seen 160,000 or over 160,000. What database are you referring to?
the Tesla database of people who bought it and still active (rules out sold cars that don't transfer, etc) Thus, cars that could get it. Although the information is not private or proprietary, you won't have access to the information directly. Maybe google the info. It should be out there somewhere. :)

To each his own, but in my experience the FSD subscription is not worth the $199/mo. I got it for 2 months (for 2 road trips last May and June) but did not renew it for a 700 mile trip I took last week. If you use Autopilot’s Autosteer, the car will hold its lane and adjust its speed to slower cars in front of you. If you want to change lanes, how hard is it to simply check that the lane is clear, activate your turn signal and change lanes? When you do, this deactivates Autosteer which you can reactivate as soon as you pass the slower car and move back into your lane. Sure, FSD will do this automatically, but is that worth $200? Not to me.

My biggest reason for wanting FSD for road trips centered on concerns about backing in to Supercharger spaces (by the way, many Supercharger locations have one space where you don’t have to back in). While the Autopark feature of FSD works great, there is one problem with it—it’s very slow. I discovered that the backup camera’s white lines show your driving path and adjust as you move the steering wheel, so if you keep those lines inside the lane markings you won’t have any problems. In addition, you have the sensors which warn you when you’re getting too close to an adjacent car or other object. In my opinion, if you hit anything while parking a Tesla, you’re either not paying attention or you’re a terrible driver! If you decide to subscribe for a road trip, I’d be interested in hearing your views on whether it’s worth it. It wasn’t to me.

To each his own, but in my experience the FSD subscription is not worth the $199/mo. I got it for 2 months (for 2 road trips last May and June) but did not renew it for a 700 mile trip I took last week. If you use Autopilot’s Autosteer, the car will hold its lane and adjust its speed to slower cars in front of you. If you want to change lanes, how hard is it to simply check that the lane is clear, activate your turn signal and change lanes? When you do, this deactivates Autosteer which you can reactivate as soon as you pass the slower car and move back into your lane. Sure, FSD will do this automatically, but is that worth $200? Not to me.

My biggest reason for wanting FSD for road trips centered on concerns about backing in to Supercharger spaces (by the way, many Supercharger locations have one space where you don’t have to back in). While the Autopark feature of FSD works great, there is one problem with it—it’s very slow. I discovered that the backup camera’s white lines show your driving path and adjust as you move the steering wheel, so if you keep those lines inside the lane markings you won’t have any problems. In addition, you have the sensors which warn you when you’re getting too close to an adjacent car or other object. In my opinion, if you hit anything while parking a Tesla, you’re either not paying attention or you’re a terrible driver! If you decide to subscribe for a road trip, I’d be interested in hearing your views on whether it’s worth it. It wasn’t to me.
The one space you don’t back in to is for Tesla drivers who are towing something. Tesla etiquette is to leave that space for a car towing something.

Reactions: vanjwilson