Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD subscription - Q2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m constantly amazed that Tesla can charge so much for software that is seemingly in permanent beta.
That's the Tesla way.
They tell you the price, then leave you to find out everything else, It's often unclear, or not easy to find, or just not shown on their website.
I see from recent posts, that there is some rumour/confusion regarding passenger lumbar support now being fitted or enabled on some cars, and accusations that the wording in the spec description has been "subtly modified"
Come on Tesla, make it clear and unambiguous just what you will get for your money (and when you will get it) :rolleyes: when you buy anything from Tesla.

I’m constantly amazed that Tesla can charge so much for software that is seemingly in permanent beta.

As well as the software, Tesla have still clearly not worked out the hardware requirements for FSD. Last October there were reports that they were sourcing a more powerful “4D” radar from an Israeli company to help deliver better autonomy. Now they are apparently ditching the radar altogether. It all smacks of something very far from being “feature complete”.

Reactions: goRt
The loss of radar is, I suspect, driven by microprocessor shortages rather than a clear, structured plan. Why else would they be saying that some features won’t work initially with Tesla Vision?

Tesla needs to keep selling cars, the end of quarter sales figures mean a lot to them, investors, etc.

The loss of radar is, I suspect, driven by microprocessor shortages rather than a clear, structured plan. Why else would they be saying that some features won’t work initially with Tesla Vision?

Tesla needs to keep selling cars, the end of quarter sales figures mean a lot to them, investors, etc.
Much more likely to be Elon's conceit/self belief that vision will do the job of radar without proving it first.

Reactions: NewbieT
As well as the software, Tesla have still clearly not worked out the hardware requirements for FSD. Last October there were reports that they were sourcing a more powerful “4D” radar from an Israeli company to help deliver better autonomy. Now they are apparently ditching the radar altogether. It all smacks of something very far from being “feature complete”.
I thought 4D was all about processing a time series of images rather than trying to drive 1 frame at a time ie build a 3 dimensional landscape and then add a time dimension so you see things develop and reduce the significance of random light artifacts on one image where a shadow looks like a lorry as it wasn’t there the frame before. I always thought the idea that this was innovative was odd as the only way you can tell if the car in front is getting closer or further away is to compare now to not long ago, unless the radar could tell your instantaneously. Either way, I agree, seems to be change after change. Does anyone know if the hand selected pilot in the US is vision only?

BMW charge a couple hundred quid for some plastic hooks in the boot and an elastic net.

If you rephrased enhanced autopilot as a ‘driver convenience package’ in line with the way other manufacturers phrase it, then the list of auto lane change, navigate on autopilot, parking assistant and summon is fairly in line with some of the premium pricing there from BMW, Audi, Polestar/Volvo etc

Reactions: pow216
Let me correct that for you
Thank you, but correction not needed.
My complaint is not just about software, it’s about the Tesla way with everything
The words I used at the end of my post….. “when you buy anything from Tesla”
means what it says, software, cars, accessories, anything.
That’s the Tesla way.

BMW charge a couple hundred quid for some plastic hooks in the boot and an elastic net.

If you rephrased enhanced autopilot as a ‘driver convenience package’ in line with the way other manufacturers phrase it, then the list of auto lane change, navigate on autopilot, parking assistant and summon is fairly in line with some of the premium pricing there from BMW, Audi, Polestar/Volvo etc

I only have experience of Audi’s offering in recent years. I’ve enjoyed their adaptive cruise control for many years and many thousands of miles and it just works. It’s also very smooth in its implementation and inspires confidence.

My very first experience of phantom braking was in my M3. The first of many. TACC/NOA do not inspire confidence.

Reactions: Alwayshopeful
All credit to u/Callump01 on Reddit as he's reverse engineered the latest Tesla mobile app to find details about:

FSD Subscription:
  1. Can be refunded
  2. Includes a 'Weekend Mode' and 'Travel Mode'
  3. Subscription options are $APF2 (FSD) and $CPF1 (premium connectivity) - no mention of EAP
  4. Billing period setup for rolling months only, can toggle auto renewal.
  5. Set spending limit (per mile based charges?)
Tesla Insurance:
  1. View your insurance details in app
  2. View safety ratings (how long you've driven, how often you use AP, warnings etc)
  3. Factors that impact your insurance quote i.e. driving style

More details in the post here:

I see in the 'simulator' section with the six factors...

6. Intensity of Acceleration and Braking - Speed variance due to extreme acceleration and braking. Shown on a scale from 0-10 as measured against Tesla's internal fleet.

Will Tesla's own autopilot's phantom braking be included in the tally - or just the driver's braking efforts?
Gonna be a bummer if you hardly brake but get strikes against you for Tesla's Phantom braking.