Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Subscription to start February 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon making an FSD-related commitment that is completely within their control, and then breaking it?

There's no precedent for such a thing!

But, he did say "depending on how it goes" at the end of it so that shows Elon is evolving. :)

I'm also not sure that it really is within their control. For the subscription model to work it has to offer something of value. Right now FSD (in the general release) is stuck because it's not allowed to make a decision without confirmation from the driver.

It doesn't go on green without a lead car or confirmation
It doesn't go from a stop sign without confirmation
It doesn't even change lanes on "unconfirmed lane changes" without torque on the steering wheel at the time of the indicator.

So why does it not have any features where its allowed to make a decision?

It could be regulatory oversight in either the CA DMV (their largest market) or the NHTSA pushing back. Or it could be that it's simply not good enough. That's its waiting on some rewrite.

Now Tesla could simply price FSD for what they have now, and this might make sense for China as the FSD take rate is supposedly only around 1%. In the North American market the take rate might be too high to economically justify a lower than desired monthly price.

The FSD subscription pricing is likely not a huge priority for Tesla. So its probably put on the back burner waiting for the FSD development to get further along.

Last edited:
But, he did say "depending on how it goes" at the end of it so that shows Elon is evolving. :)

I'm also not sure that it really is within their control. For the subscription model to work it has to offer something of value. Right now FSD (in the general release) is stuck because it's not allowed to make a decision without confirmation from the driver.

It doesn't go on green without a lead car or confirmation
It doesn't go from a stop sign without confirmation
It doesn't even change lanes on "unconfirmed lane changes" without torque on the steering wheel at the time of the indicator.

So why does it not have any features where its allowed to make a decision?

It could be regulatory oversight in either the CA DMV (their largest market) or the NHTSA pushing back. Or it could be that it's simply not good enough. That's its waiting on some rewrite.

Now Tesla could simply price FSD for what they have now, and this might make sense for China as the FSD take rate is supposedly only around 1%. In the North American market the take rate might be too high to economically justify a lower than desired monthly price.

The FSD subscription pricing is likely not a huge priority for Tesla. So its probably put on the back burner waiting for the FSD development to get further along.

IMVHO until they prove me wrong, I think Tesla bit off more than they can chew and FSD is still nothing more than a gimmick. I'm glad I didn't get it, no matter the price. Also IMVHO, they priced it at 10k because they want less people to get it, so their is less people to complain when it is 2-3 years down the road and still no major improvements.

Yes I am very skeptical of FSD and think Tesla and Elon better be careful with it or it will end up destroying their company and credibility... Of course I could be wrong, but I doubt it... We'll see...

In terms of price, my guess is he'd want his money back in 3-4 years so divide the purchase price by 36 or 48 and add in an interest charge.

FSD's very nearly there, just look at YT.
He needs to add in the 4d video processing (the reason for no code drop for 3+ weeks???) and then add in the ruleset for beyond city street driving.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
In terms of price, my guess is he'd want his money back in 3-4 years so divide the purchase price by 36 or 48 and add in an interest charge.

FSD's very nearly there, just look at YT.
He needs to add in the 4d video processing (the reason for no code drop for 3+ weeks???) and then add in the ruleset for beyond city street driving.
If you’re paying the same price over 36-48 months why not just buy it outright and have it included in the lease/loan? I thought the point for folks leasing was that they would be paying full price over and over. Seems like the term length should be longer (10 years?).

If you’re paying the same price over 36-48 months why not just buy it outright and have it included in the lease/loan? I thought the point for folks leasing was that they would be paying full price over and over. Seems like the term length should be longer (10 years?).

I thought the point was people complaining about the upfront cost?

Anyway that's my guess, let's see what happens later this week ;-)

People leasing would only be paying full price if they add FSD after they lease the car. Otherwise they would only be paying for a portion of it in their lease payment. (Which is supposed to still be cheaper than the subscription.)

I also think one of the big hopes for an FSD subscription is that it can be started/stopped on an as-needed basis. If you only want to use it for long trips, for example, you'd only subscribe for that month.

Will it work out that way? I have no idea.

If you only want to use it for long trips, for example, you'd only subscribe for that month.

I suspect there will be some kind of "initiation" fee to prevent people from simply turning FSD on and off regularly. Tesla will make it cost prohibitive to do that since there's no benefit to them in that scenario. Or, there will be some kind of time commitment, whether it's 6 months, 12 months, or whatever.

Reactions: goRt and MP3Mike
I suspect there will be some kind of "initiation" fee to prevent people from simply turning FSD on and off regularly. Tesla will make it cost prohibitive to do that since there's no benefit to them in that scenario. Or, there will be some kind of time commitment, whether it's 6 months, 12 months, or whatever.

Absolutely. But plenty of people are hoping around here for a “pay by the drink” model, which — as you said — doesn’t make fiscal sense.

I miss two features: lane change activated by turn signal and auto park. The rest I don't really care until they reach level 5 and I can punch in the address and crack open a beer while the car drives me to my destination. The only reason I would subscribe would be if I go on a long road trip, and that would be a for a month only.

I could see a change in FSD where you could buy it for $5K for your own personal usage only, and $10K if you want to put your car on the Tesla network. They would have a lot more takers.