Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Subscription to start February 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect there will be some kind of "initiation" fee to prevent people from simply turning FSD on and off regularly. Tesla will make it cost prohibitive to do that since there's no benefit to them in that scenario. Or, there will be some kind of time commitment, whether it's 6 months, 12 months, or whatever.
They may make month-to-month very expensive compared to 6 or 12 months. That’s what a lot of subscription services do.

Reactions: flyingowl
If you go on the page now (and it's been that way for a while), the only extra features that FSD promises over the original EAP options is Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control and Autosteer on city streets (coming later). They no longer advertise like you say (like punching in an address and car driving itself).

Design Your Model 3 | Tesla

I believe originally the promises were more on that order page, but not anymore. Trying to find an internet archive link that works to show the previous wording, but haven't found it yet.

Edit, this is the best picture I could find, which Teslarati had of the previous wording back in 2016:
Tesla-full-self-driving-capability-upgrade.jpg

tesla-full-self-driving-capability-upgrade - TESLARATI
Well any lawyer will tell you that a parole contract is stronger than a written one and I have my SA saying that they will roll it out after the beta in a month at the time I bought mine in October (while they were rolling it out for beta while simultaneously trying to get their half mill sold. I have it all on “tape”. Now only if I knew that was admissible in court. Either way, I could just make a page with my SA saying that until they give me my 10k back. Why would they raise the price though?? Lol. I’m an idiot.

View attachment 641096

Another blown FSD-related promise totally within their control ;)
....aaaaaand that’s exactly why I didn’t bite FSD for a 4th time on my S refresh order. Elon really believes that FSD will have an affect on the resale of your car....it won’t....at least not substantively....so the reality is as long as it is under ~$250 a month and you keep your car less than 3 years...maybe a large % of us...buying it outright absolutely does not make sense.....

This is especially true right now in the present as the reality of it being functionally better than where it is right now is pretty low. Meaning beyond a L2 car for us not blessed with the FSD-Beta

Reactions: goRt and Microterf
They’ve been charging people the additional $2k for FSD for going on 5 months now. For what....not one new feature for the avg person. I imagine the full fsd beta rollout and subscription service will be concurrent, so don’t expect the fsd beta rollout till May or June. But then again, that assumes they stick to a timeline...wish in one hand...shi* in the other.

Reactions: Microterf
They’ve been charging people the additional $2k for FSD for going on 5 months now. For what....not one new feature for the avg person. I imagine the full fsd beta rollout and subscription service will be concurrent, so don’t expect the fsd beta rollout till May or June. But then again, that assumes they stick to a timeline...wish in one hand...shi* in the other.

If they aren't gonna do the subscription until the current FSD beta features go out to the general public who aren't in the early access program, then nobody should expect the subscription until next year.

Reactions: boonedocks
What a loaded response... How long is "long term" in the eyes of Elon Musk? Give me a price and I'll make that determination myself.

Elon’s wording leads me to believe that he already has a price in mind, so I honestly don’t understand what the hold up is.

Either that or he could be implying that he’s still certain FSD is going to be worth multiples of what it is today.

In any event, I’m probably priced out of either of these. Maybe I’ll get EAP if it goes on a flash sale again.

Reactions: flyingcasual
Elon’s wording leads me to believe that he already has a price in mind, so I honestly don’t understand what the hold up is.

The holdup is that they want to actually release the new features and then, once everyone is impressed, they'll release the subscription model with pricing. If they released the price without first getting people on their side people will balk.

Whether or not people are going to be impressed enough with the features is a different story.. From the FSD beta videos I've seen I'm just not sure it's impressive enough to convince people, but I could be wrong. My mind will change once any aspect (highway OR surface streets) of self-driving actually gets good enough that you don't have to pay close attention, but until then the price is getting harder to justify.

(We got FSD with our car at the end of 2017 and, thus far, it definitely hasn't been worth the money paid, but here's hoping that will all change tomorrow!)

I'm sure they will. Id imagine there's not much of a subscription market for existing feature set
If you are one of those that have a car that doesn't have a choice of EAP there might still be a market for the existing features, especially for people who want to try it out (and didn't get the free trial like I did).

Judging by how they did the trial, I'm guessing they would rather wait until at least the trials expire (4/1/2021) before starting subscriptions, or there may be confusion and possible bugs. Those of us with the trials are likely the Guinea pigs for the subscription, even though we got it for free.

Last edited:
But, the last one said "depending on how it goes"

This one doesn't have that disclaimer so its totally going to happen this time.

Yep, it totally will for sure.

:p
It might not happen in Q2, but there wasn't a promise that he broke last time regardless. It's once again people making up promises Elon had made if you follow the start of the thread.

It might not happen in Q2, but there wasn't a promise that he broke last time regardless. It's once again people making up promises Elon had made if you follow the start of the thread.

he said "in the next month or two, depending how it goes", no? Implying that if it didn't go well, the 2nd month?

I may be wrong, that's fine. There are plenty of other very specific things he's said and been proven wrong on.

he said "in the next month or two, depending how it goes", no? Implying that if it didn't go well, the 2nd month?

I may be wrong, that's fine. There are plenty of other very specific things he's said and been proven wrong on.
I didn't want to play another telephone game (as happens many times when people paraphrase Elon), so I looked up the transcript. There was the actual exchange made on 1/27/21:
Martin Viecha -- Senior Director of Investor Relations
Thank you. The second question is, could current owners get ability to transfer their FSD to their next vehicle? This would be a huge for loyalty and overall increased sales of vehicles who are offering more FSD sales on used vehicles.

Elon Musk -- Founder and Chief Executive Officer
Unfortunately, we're not considering that at this time. We do actually offer an increased – higher price than for a car with FSD than one without FSD. And I do think that the market currently undervalues – or the consumer market. And arguably the stock market sales probably undervalue the just how good FSD is going to be.

But we're not currently planning on offering – online to get transferred.

Martin Viecha -- Senior Director of Investor Relations
Thank you.

Elon Musk -- Founder and Chief Executive Officer
We will be offering subscription pretty soon in the next month or two. So that should address a lot of people's concerns for being able to get it.
Tesla (TSLA) Q4 2020 Earnings Call Transcript | The Motley Fool

1 month is 2/27/2021, 2 months is 3/27/2021, 2+ is any time before 4/27/2021. Q2 is still consistent with that timing.

The title for this thread (that he promised February) was completely made up. I should also point out this isn't really a technical issue (unlike other promises), more of a marketing decision similar to the whole Model Y SR and LR RWD promises.

I didn't want to play another telephone game (as happens many times when people paraphrase Elon), so I looked up the transcript. There was the actual exchange made on 1/27/21:

Tesla (TSLA) Q4 2020 Earnings Call Transcript | The Motley Fool

1 month is 2/27/2021, 2 months is 3/27/2021, 2+ is any time before 4/27/2021. Q2 is still consistent with that timing.

The title for this thread (that he promised February) was completely made up. I should also point out this isn't really a technical issue (unlike other promises), more of a marketing decision similar to the whole Model Y SR and LR RWD promises.

I read it that the person was referring to the private beta becoming the beta within 2 months and not related to the subscription - that being a promise broken