Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Subscription vs Pay For Use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering FSD usage monitoring is technologically possible, I wonder if anyone thinks a pay per use model would be more suitable than subscription?

Subscription
Pros​
  • Fixed monthly expense
  • Easy accounting
  • More revenue for TSLA
Cons​
  • If FSD not good, harder to get a customer to restart subscription
  • Assumes the price is worth it for a diverse set of drivers
Pay Per Use
Pros​
  • Engage any time, at a smaller cost
  • No commitment
  • Easier to re-engage if not used for a while
  • Realtime feedback on customer usage
Cons​
  • Lower Revenue for TSLA
  • FSD quality must be higher

Just think emotionally how people would feel about pay per use in the real world. They would have to go through this horrible internal discussion of whether or not they pay themselves $XX to turn the steering wheel, or pay Tesla $XX to do it every time they go for the double tap of the stalk.

What a nightmare.

Reactions: BeeGood
Would start to make sense with robotaxis: There a certain % of revenue would be paid to Tesla (say 50% after tax) and would cover driving, insurance, payment processing, ... The other half (after tax) would be cover car finance, wear, electricity and profit to owner.

Reactions: SharpKnife
Considering FSD usage monitoring is technologically possible, I wonder if anyone thinks a pay per use model would be more suitable than subscription?

Subscription
Pros​
  • Fixed monthly expense
  • Easy accounting
  • More revenue for TSLA
Cons​
Pay Per Use
Pros​
  • No commitment
Cons​
  • Lower Revenue for TSLA
Dont give Tesla any new Ideas about Micro Transactions - :)

Subscription
Pros​
  • Fixed monthly expense
  • Easy accounting
  • More revenue for TSLA
Cons​
Pay Per Use
Pros​
  • No commitment
Cons​
  • Lower Revenue for TSLA

The answer is Netflix.

BTW, this idea that TSLA would end up with lower revenue on Pay Per use is not a given. Look at AWS / Azure revenues.

In general individuals prefer fixed subscription and businesses prefer usage based. Businesses have enough data and controls to monitor and figure out which one would be cheaper etc. and may prefer usage based billing. It is too involved and cumbersome for individuals. They would vastly prefer subscription over pay per use (except for things used rarely like supercharging or if Tesla allowed people to "rent" AP on a daily rate for road trips).

I'd like to subscribe to FSD, but I'd like to know my 'safety score' before I do. Why doesn't Tesla generate a safety score for everyone and display it on the Safety or Autopilot screen? I think quite a few people would get FSD if they thought they'd be eligible for FSD Beta. Seems like an easy software feature to offer and as a side benefit, Tesla owner's might drive a little more safely.