Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD suddenly doing a much better job picking lanes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a little weird. In the last few days my FSD Beta is doing a better job picking lanes.

There's a path the car takes from the highway to my house: a right turn off the highway onto a 3-lane street, and a right turn off that street 1.5 block later, just beyond the first traffic signal.

Since I received the beta in the summer, it has always immediately moved into the leftmost lane once it's off the highway, staying there until it's past the traffic signal, then trying to dive into the rightmost lane to make the turn. In most cases traffic precludes this and it misses the turn. This behavior was absolutely consistent and was the same regardless of traffic conditions.

But the last couple of times I tried it, it kept to the right after leaving the highway, and easily made the turn after the light.

This is just one example. It's also doing much better in choosing which turn lane to be in if multiple turn lanes are available.

I've received no FSD update since .69.3 (2022.20.18). Could this be due to a maps update?

• Informative
Reactions: KrenGrl and ord3r
Fascinating-- This is my number 1 complaint about FSD performance: lane selection. It does so many things great (well, to be fair, also many things not so great), but lane selection is probably my main reason for disconnects.

I have a similar situation to what you describe on my commute. In my case a series of right-straight-right-left turns with a short block between each and most turns able to be made from either of 2 lanes due to one way streets, etc. Selecting the right lane for each turn is critical to be lined up for the next, especially if traffic is heavy.

I had given up on this working, so haven't even tried it recently, but I will have a go at it next time and see if any improvement.

I have had persistent issues at several intersections. I have noticed a similar phenomenon where I am perceiving improvements. But then just as I start to think there is real improvement, the issues start happening again.

Even though the car itself doesn't "learn." I do suspect that we download new NN weights occasionally as the mothership retrains the networks. But I have no evidence to back this up.

Reactions: X-pilot
I wish I could post that is has improved for us but both our '17 X and '21 S still don't. We have never seen any improvements unless we have also received a FSD update or map update. Everything else for us has been the placebo affect!!

Honestly, I feel like autopilot has also gotten better in hugging the line of a lane when it has another lane merging in and the road lines dissappear. It used to jerk into the middle of the widened lane, but now it seems not to do that as much anymore.

Even though the car itself doesn't "learn." I do suspect that we download new NN weights occasionally as the mothership retrains the networks. But I have no evidence to back this up.

I seem to observe occasional behavior changes between releases that can't be easily explained away by variations in driving conditions as well.

My pet theory on that is that each release we download has some extra development-branch experiments shipped with it. Like, there's the complete baseline 10.69.2.3 code/NNs, and then also a few selected extra bits, like an experimental/future alternate version of the lane selection network or whatever.

Either based on internal triggers (random small chance per day, or after X miles of driving on base code, whatever) or external triggers (OTA commands from HQ), our cars sometimes switch to running and gathering data on these experimental bits to help shape the next releases.

All speculation of course!

Reactions: X-pilot and DrChaos
I seem to observe occasional behavior changes between releases that can't be easily explained away by variations in driving conditions as well.

My pet theory on that is that each release we download has some extra development-branch experiments shipped with it. Like, there's the complete baseline 10.69.2.3 code/NNs, and then also a few selected extra bits, like an experimental/future alternate version of the lane selection network or whatever.

Either based on internal triggers (random small chance per day, or after X miles of driving on base code, whatever) or external triggers (OTA commands from HQ), our cars sometimes switch to running and gathering data on these experimental bits to help shape the next releases.

All speculation of course!
There are quite a few people who believe there is A/B testing going on. When a common route suddenly behaves differently for a few weeks, then changes back to the original behavior, it fuels the belief further.

Honestly, I feel like autopilot has also gotten better in hugging the line of a lane when it has another lane merging in and the road lines dissappear. It used to jerk into the middle of the widened lane, but now it seems not to do that as much anymore.
Mine still does it, but more gradually. Not as harsh of a jerk to the right..kinda gradually eases over. Still..annoying.

My Refresh S exhibits varied behavior on the same build.

The culprit, GPS location errors every time!!!
Hopefully you can get your GPS issues resolved. The only hardware issue I'm aware of is the cabin cameras - some batches were improperly shielded, so when the cabin camera is engaged (for FSD Beta for example), it interferes with the GPS receiver which is housed in the same enclosure. Replacing the camera with a properly shielded model solves the GPS problems.

Hopefully you can get your GPS issues resolved. The only hardware issue I'm aware of is the cabin cameras - some batches were improperly shielded, so when the cabin camera is engaged (for FSD Beta for example), it interferes with the GPS receiver which is housed in the same enclosure. Replacing the camera with a properly shielded model solves the GPS problems.
💯💯 the case ie the selfie camera.

I am scheduled for Monday 11/7/22 but my SC may be able to squeeze me in this Thursday or Friday if they can.

This will have taken 2+ months for Tesla to recognize and agree to replace it.

6064F70D-0437-435F-9288-29E62F69CB87.jpeg

Reactions: Dewg
This is a little weird. In the last few days my FSD Beta is doing a better job picking lanes.

There's a path the car takes from the highway to my house: a right turn off the highway onto a 3-lane street, and a right turn off that street 1.5 block later, just beyond the first traffic signal.

Since I received the beta in the summer, it has always immediately moved into the leftmost lane once it's off the highway, staying there until it's past the traffic signal, then trying to dive into the rightmost lane to make the turn. In most cases traffic precludes this and it misses the turn. This behavior was absolutely consistent and was the same regardless of traffic conditions.

But the last couple of times I tried it, it kept to the right after leaving the highway, and easily made the turn after the light.

This is just one example. It's also doing much better in choosing which turn lane to be in if multiple turn lanes are available.

I've received no FSD update since .69.3 (2022.20.18). Could this be due to a maps update?
Wish I was having the same experience. Used FSD today (11/28/2022) after the latest update in my 2020 M3LRDM. On the side roads, 2 lanes, did okay. Some leaves blew up on the road and it did break suddenly. I guess that’s good? On a divided highway, 2 lanes each way with median, it was not good. As soon as I turned FSD on, the left blinker came on and it immediately wanted to change to the left lane. No one close enough in front of me, in the right lane, to make that happen. I turned off the blinker and kept going. Happened again a little bit down the road. No good reason to move to the left. This is why I stopped using FSD on divided highways. It keeps trying to get in the left lane without good reason. So frustrating.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Wish I was having the same experience. Used FSD today (11/28/2022) after the latest update in my 2020 M3LRDM. On the side roads, 2 lanes, did okay. Some leaves blew up on the road and it did break suddenly. I guess that’s good? On a divided highway, 2 lanes each way with median, it was not good. As soon as I turned FSD on, the left blinker came on and it immediately wanted to change to the left lane. No one close enough in front of me, in the right lane, to make that happen. I turned off the blinker and kept going. Happened again a little bit down the road. No good reason to move to the left. This is why I stopped using FSD on divided highways. It keeps trying to get in the left lane without good reason. So frustrating.
Correction, I sold my Model3, this happened on my Model Y. Sorry about that.

Also not my experience. FSD (latest build) is CONSTANTLY moving to the wrong lane, especially if there is a turn in the opposite directly coming up. CONSTANTLY! I get pretty frustrated, because then the car needs to move back and cuts someone off or just misses the turn. CONSTANTLY.

If it stayed in (or picked) the right lane more often, it would be a dream! As it is, I am always looking to cancel the inevitable turn signal that is in the opposite direction that the car needs to momentarily turn to.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Last edited:
Also not my experience. FSD (latest build) is CONSTANTLY moving to the wrong lane, especially if there is a turn in the opposite directly coming up. CONSTANTLY! I get pretty frustrated, because then the car needs to move back and cuts someone off or just misses the turn. CONSTANTLY.

If it stayed in (or picked) the right lane more often, it would be a dream! As it is, I am always looking to cancel the inevitable turn signal that is in the opposite direction that the car needs to momentarily turn to.

Yup.

Nope.