Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD takeover leads to speed increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DrDabbles

Jul 28, 2017
NH, US
TL;DR: Disengaging FSD with steering input should enable TACC at the current set speed, not a new speed. This is dangerous and a very poor design.

I've noticed this behavior for a while with FSD, but it is clearly unsafe and I experience it in a new way last night.

When taking over from FSD by steering the wheel, you are put into TACC mode with no autosteer. The issue I'm showing in this video clip is that if you manually adjust the speed below what the engagement parameters are and then take over with steering, the TACC speed chosen is not your currently set speed. Instead, TACC chooses a new speed based on your speed offset settings.

For context, when you engage TACC, Autopilot, or FSD, you are allowed to set your speed parameter to be +/- a percent relative to the posted limit, or +/- a fixed value relative to the posted limit. My vehicle is set to +5 MPH over the detected limit.

Here you can see a video of me driving in a 35 MPH zone, I have manually lowered the FSD speed to 35, and when I steer the wheel you can see TACC is set at 40 MPH.

This is a pretty major problem when FSD is driving on an on-ramp or off-ramp, you take over steering because it's performing poorly, and it suddenly sets the TACC speed to 70 MPH when you're trying to round a corner. This is reproducible 100% of the time, in all conditions. The safety risks here should be pretty obvious to all, and IMO this is something Tesla absolutely needs to address.

• Informative
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
I strongly believe that its dangerous to have TACC still functioning after using the steering control to take over for FSD Beta.

Taking over with the steering is a disengagement event, and a disengagement event should cancel most driver aids to allow the driver to fully regain manual control of the vehicle.

Now I'm not saying it should go to full regen, but to simply coast until the driver has either used the brake or throttle.

FSD Beta on city streets is much different than AP on the highway. Things happen quickly, and people might not realize TACC is still active.

I do try to take over using the brake to avoid that, but taking over with the brake during a turn is unnatural to me.

Last edited:
I strongly believe that its dangerous to have TACC still functioning after using the steering control to take over for FSD Beta.

Agreed, and as you noted things happen on surface streets much quicker due to closer quarters. The obvious risk here is that someone takes over with steering, the vehicle accelerates, and hits a pedestrian while the operator is still trying to figure out why it's speeding up.

Taking over with the steering is a disengagement event, and a disengagement event should cancel most driver aids to allow the driver to fully regain manual control of the vehicle.

I think I agree. Disengaging the steering and dropping into TACC on the highway has always been cumbersome, and doing it on surface streets could be much more dangerous. But engaging TACC as a totally new event with a new speed setting is incredibly poor design. Obviously there's no state shared between the two during handoff on takeover, which clearly isn't what most users would expect.

I always disengage w brake precisely because of this bad behavior.
I'm in the habit of flicking the lever up to be sure TACC is disengaged. I see the Can't Shift into Reverse warning 100s of times. 🤣🤣🤣 Come on Tesla while leaving TACC On while on the highway may be somewhat acceptable (although I still want full control) it can be dangerous and unpredictable on narrow crowded city streets.

I'm in the habit of flicking the lever up to be sure TACC is disengaged. I see the Can't Shift into Reverse warning 100s of times. 🤣🤣🤣 Come on Tesla while leaving TACC On while on the highway may be somewhat acceptable (although I still want full control) it can be dangerous and unpredictable on narrow crowded city streets.

Just push it up half way. There's no need to push it up high enough to trigger the reverse function.