Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD: To Buy or Not to Buy--the $7000 question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand all cars now come with HW3, and are endowed with all the hardware for FSD.

Does that mean that the upgrade is just a software switch/upgrade over the air, and that there is no other hardware required if I don't buy it up front?

1. I like driving. I think I'll LOVE driving this car;
2. It seems a limited and gimmicky in terms of current capability;
3. It seems like they'll eventually get there, like level-4/5, but not for a while?
4. It's a chunk of change.
5. If I change the order, I think they'll add $990 to the cost because I got a "free" wheel upgrade from 18" to 19"

So the question is, should I just wait, or consider changing my order to add it before delivery? What's the advantage or before vs. after purchase upgrade?

How does adding it after the fact go?

Any chance they'll offer a discount at some point later that we could scoop up?

May be you should talk with some current Honolulu Tesla owners to know how much they really use it.
It you are often driving during in the heavy traffic hours, FSD would certainly helpful and relaxing to have.
However the non FSD still provides some cruise control capabilities, and it used to be called EAP.
If you need to use Summon if you have a narrow garage, you need now to have FSD.
You should do some research regarding the current FSD added capabilities, see some links:

5. If I change the order, I think they'll add $990 to the cost because I got a "free" wheel upgrade from 18" to 19"
I would avoid touching your order, and ask to one of the show room or service center if someone could update your order.

Last edited:
I still think the price of entry for what you get is still to high. Major features have been promised for years and largely it’s been tweaks that have only rolled out.

During my order process and due to a three month delay I was offered FSD for $6k instead of $7k. But it was still little return for high investment.

I can make a lot of return of my investment with that $7K elsewhere. If or when it becomes viable the net difference to me will be a LOT less than $7k.

Additionally the sensor / camera suite might require another update and there might be other new features that make swapping for a new car a better call.

I see no reason to do it now. On the other hand if throwing $7K at it is like buying a coffee for you then why even question it.

I understand all cars now come with HW3, and are endowed with all the hardware for FSD.

Does that mean that the upgrade is just a software switch/upgrade over the air, and that there is no other hardware required if I don't buy it up front?

1. I like driving. I think I'll LOVE driving this car;
3. It seems like they'll eventually get there, like level-4/5, but not for a while?
4. It's a chunk of change.

So the question is, should I just wait, or consider changing my order to add it before delivery? What's the advantage or before vs. after purchase upgrade?

How does adding it after the fact go?

We found this decision very tough but finally decided to buy it because you do get nice functionality now and will get more later so why not enjoy it the entire ownership experience? Tesla has indicated that it will cost more in the future but things change due to the market and it wouldn't shock me if sometime in the future you'll be able to purchase it at a lower price.

Reactions: empiredown
We found this decision very tough but finally decided to buy it because you do get nice functionality now and will get more later so why not enjoy it the entire ownership experience? Tesla has indicated that it will cost more in the future but things change due to the market and it wouldn't shock me if sometime in the future you'll be able to purchase it at a lower price.

Same here and quite happy with the result. Yes, it's a lot of money up front, but I believe it'll be worth it in the end.

The price will go up as they release more features. Already went from $6k to $7k with smart summon, and I'm expecting to see another price increase when stopping at traffic lights and stop signs goes from EAP to wide release. Doubt we will ever see another sale or discount on FSD. I want a Y for my wife later this year, considering reserving now to lock in FSD price even though I wouldn't want to take delivery til probably 4th quarter. Not sure if that's possible but thinking about it.

FSD is silicon snake oil. Auto wipers, auto high-beams, self-park, blind spot detection, etc. don't really work with many brands providing these features that work and are not in perma-beta. The AP features of adaptive cruise and lane keeping work well on the freeway in traffic. FSD adds perma-beta features that don't work well. Tesla adds features, but rarely gets them working well, for example, auto park still sucks after release 5 years ago. PASS ON FSD and save your money.

I believe you still get all of the safety features a tesla has without purchasing the full self driving upgrade. Right now, you are just paying for automatic lane changes/not breaking autosteer when changing lanes, and the summon features. In my opinion it is definitely not worth $7k, but the threat of a price increase coming for when it may actually be worth 7k did have me thinking... Ultimately, I decided to pass for now.

I believe you still get all of the safety features a tesla has without purchasing the full self driving upgrade. Right now, you are just paying for automatic lane changes/not breaking autosteer when changing lanes, and the summon features. In my opinion it is definitely not worth $7k, but the threat of a price increase coming for when it may actually be worth 7k did have me thinking... Ultimately, I decided to pass for now.

I agree that it's not worth what you have to pay for its current functionality and you can always add it later. My initial opinion was not to buy it and buy it later when they make it more worthy of its price but wife pointed out that we would probably pay more and miss out on what FSD adds for the time being and convinced me to go along with the huge extra $7K.

Reactions: UnicornDriver
The car has like 14 traffic facing sensors ... I’m not paying for the HW to be just sitting around for only Sentry mode. Tesla better take my money and give a reasonable FSD to start with. It’s a huge data problem. There is very little chance FSD will be a reality if nobody buys them now. Our driving patterns are part of the FSD learning. Tesla cannot magically conjure up 100s of 1000s of real world datasets to reliably train FSD NNs. Customers are data generators. 7k is the current price to be paid for having no ads in the car and still finance this FSD dream, haha

I would pass. (Well, it was too expensive for me anyhow: LR AWD Model 3 already the most expensive car I will ever buy)

Even though FSD is software, it stays with the car not with you the end user. It is still in its infancy and by the time it has gotten really good you might not even own the car anymore?

Yeah I think it stays with the car and not to the owner.
You want to pay 7k to be a beta tester, be my guest. I would prefer to wait until it actually works without scaring the hell out of you.
I love the Tesla brand but do not approve their marketing of FSD when it is nowhere near ready for the public.
You want to pay 7k to be a beta tester, be my guest. I would prefer to wait until it actually works without scaring the hell out of you.
I love the Tesla brand but do not approve their marketing of FSD when it is nowhere near ready for the public.

Legitimate to ask is it actually safer? I would love to see accurate stats on that. My DIL grandfather is 99 years old and still drives....I would rather FSD drive than him.

To expand further I don’t see a possible price increase as a real threat. I think they’re pushing the bell curve as it is. If they charged say $4 they would likely get more than enough people to ring up more total revenue. They put the parts in every car regardless if you pay the $7K or not. They also have to develop the software even if there’s a million less or a million more people that paid there $7K.

The tech to do what Tesla is doing is already inside other brands or could easily be added in. The software to say navigate on autopilot and just integrate it all is what’s really lacking with other brands.

As everyone else switches to EV, adds more tech, adds the coding to support self driving pricing may go up, but then back down, way down.

The average consumer isn’t going to pay 25% more for self driving, but will want it, and someone will find a way to do it.

We’ve seen this happen for decades. Luxury, safety, fashion items appear in high end cars first and work their way down to low end cars. And that tech comes down in price. The $100k owner way pay $30k extra But the $30k owner won’t. All the tech that’s included as standard on your average Toyota these days was many thousands years ago.

• Love
Reactions: Grumpy