Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Transfer and Camax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
C

CMS062407

pretty simple question and I know it has been discussed prior, but I am trying to see if we have better evidence :)

I currently have a Model 3 Performance on hold at Carmax, and it is a great price (surprisingly)....and one of the options is the desirable FSD.

I see so much confliction on if FSD transfers---has anyone bought a car from Carmax recently and FSD transferred fine, or did it disappear after you took over ownership of the vehicle in the app/website?

Does Carmax PROPERLY switch ownership after you buy the car? aka, do they have the person who traded the car in properly hand over ownership to Carmax and then Carmax goes on the Tesla website and properly hand over ownership to the next buyer...or do we always have to "claim ownership"?

I really want this Model 3...but it is so hard as I am afraid that Tesla will magically remove the FSD after the ownership is changed to me.

I wish Tesla would stop being so quiet about FSD and give us CLEAR guidance what the parameters are for when FSD transfers...I spoke to a Tesla rep today and they could not provide any proper guidance.

Reactions: JoRoMo
There can be no "clear guidance", its impossible under current state, because it depends on if the car was ever owned by tesla or not after it was sold. The chain of custody of each vehicle is different, so there will never be a "yes this happens" or "no this doesnt" unless and until tesla changes their rules on FSD transfer.

The rule is "If the car was owned by tesla after it was sold (as in it was traded back into tesla), then FSD will likely be removed by tesla. Sometimes it takes them some time to do it.

If the car was not owned by tesla (sold privately, sold directly to carmax) those options should stay.

Since you have no way of knowing if carmax bought the car from a person, or from auction, you will not know the state of FSD on that specific vehicle. Whether tesla SHOULD or whatever is not what I am saying (and there are 80 bazillion threads about that already). You are asking for certainty on a used vehicle from a major used car seller on a tesla, and you will not get it.

Do not price FSD into whether that vehicle is a good price or not. If you would buy it without FSD, and you still consider it a good price, go for it. If it has to have FSD for it to be a good price for you, you have no guarantee it will transfer, and carmax likely has some clause that says that, too.

If you MUST have FSD on a used tesla, buy it private party direct from the original purchaser, who can show you they purchased FSD from tesla. Thats the only way to ensure you receive it on a used vehicle. There will be no certainty otherwise.

pretty simple question and I know it has been discussed prior, but I am trying to see if we have better evidence :)

I currently have a Model 3 Performance on hold at Carmax, and it is a great price (surprisingly)....and one of the options is the desirable FSD.

I see so much confliction on if FSD transfers---has anyone bought a car from Carmax recently and FSD transferred fine, or did it disappear after you took over ownership of the vehicle in the app/website?

Does Carmax PROPERLY switch ownership after you buy the car? aka, do they have the person who traded the car in properly hand over ownership to Carmax and then Carmax goes on the Tesla website and properly hand over ownership to the next buyer...or do we always have to "claim ownership"?

I really want this Model 3...but it is so hard as I am afraid that Tesla will magically remove the FSD after the ownership is changed to me.

I wish Tesla would stop being so quiet about FSD and give us CLEAR guidance what the parameters are for when FSD transfers...I spoke to a Tesla rep today and they could not provide any proper guidance.

There can be no "clear guidance", its impossible under current state, because it depends on if the car was ever owned by tesla or not after it was sold. The chain of custody of each vehicle is different, so there will never be a "yes this happens" or "no this doesnt" unless and until tesla changes their rules on FSD transfer.

The rule is "If the car was owned by tesla after it was sold (as in it was traded back into tesla), then FSD will likely be removed by tesla. Sometimes it takes them some time to do it.

If the car was not owned by tesla (sold privately, sold directly to carmax) those options should stay.

Since you have no way of knowing if carmax bought the car from a person, or from auction, you will not know the state of FSD on that specific vehicle. Whether tesla SHOULD or whatever is not what I am saying (and there are 80 bazillion threads about that already). You are asking for certainty on a used vehicle from a major used car seller on a tesla, and you will not get it.

Do not price FSD into whether that vehicle is a good price or not. If you would buy it without FSD, and you still consider it a good price, go for it. If it has to have FSD for it to be a good price for you, you have no guarantee it will transfer, and carmax likely has some clause that says that, too.

If you MUST have FSD on a used tesla, buy it private party direct from the original purchaser, who can show you they purchased FSD from tesla. Thats the only way to ensure you receive it on a used vehicle. There will be no certainty otherwise.
I appreciate the response! I guess the best I can do is see if carmax somehow knows if the car was bought at an auction or if it was acquired directly as a trade in from an individual. This particular car at Carmax is a 2020 3 performance stealth with 6k miles and is $53,998..which I believe is a good price.

I did notice today that many used Model 3 Tesla's also include FSD and some of the prices were not too shabby...I have contemplated just doing that so I know there won't be an issue with FSD. I found a 2019 model 3 performance, fsd, with 10k miles for 55k...almost seems like this is the better deal, even if it has 4k more miles, 1 year older and cost about 1k more.

I appreciate the response! I guess the best I can do is see if carmax somehow knows if the car was bought at an auction or if it was acquired directly as a trade in from an individual. This particular car at Carmax is a 2020 3 performance stealth with 6k miles and is $53,998..which I believe is a good price.

I did notice today that many used Model 3 Tesla's also include FSD and some of the prices were not too shabby...I have contemplated just doing that so I know there won't be an issue with FSD. I found a 2019 model 3 performance, fsd, with 10k miles for 55k...almost seems like this is the better deal, even if it has 4k more miles, 1 year older and cost about 1k more.

If FSD is on your must have list, then it appears to me the second car would be a "better deal" so to speak. It also depends on if you value the performance package stuff (red brakes, 20 inch tires, rear deck spoiler) or not, as the stealth model 3 doesnt have any of that but many people prefer that specific trim because you can easily put aftermarket tires on there and it comes with 18s or 19s instead of 20s.

I personally dont think there is enough of a savings over brand new to buy any used tesla right now. A brand new one starts at 56,990 before destination. If you ordered white / black interior and without FSD its like 3k more to order a brand new one (with zero miles) vs used.. .but thats without FSD. Any value on a used one in this context depends entirely on what you value FSD at.

Reactions: MG535 and ZilWin
If FSD is on your must have list, then it appears to me the second car would be a "better deal" so to speak. It also depends on if you value the performance package stuff (red brakes, 20 inch tires, rear deck spoiler) or not, as the stealth model 3 doesnt have any of that but many people prefer that specific trim because you can easily put aftermarket tires on there and it comes with 18s or 19s instead of 20s.

I personally dont think there is enough of a savings over brand new to buy any used tesla right now. A brand new one starts at 56,990 before destination. If you ordered white / black interior and without FSD its like 3k more to order a brand new one (with zero miles) vs used.. .but thats without FSD. Any value on a used one in this context depends entirely on what you value FSD at.
yep, I have contemplated just purchasing a brand new one and waiting a few weeks for delivery....I suppose, FSD isn't something I absolutely must have. However, at the cost of $10,000 (not cheap lol), I don't think I can justify that price. but, if I can get a 2020 or 2019 model with 10k or less miles (still nearly brand new) AND it have FSD, it is just a win win...I think lol....this is going to be my first Tesla, so what the heck do I know anyway! (not much)

Reactions: jmaddr
lol! maybe I am too new to all this and it is actually something HATED...I have read mixed reviews on it.

People have strong opinions on it one way or another (just read through this section you posted in). The people who dont like it like to make sure that everyone knows what their opinion is of it. The people who do like it, in general, are "over" talking about it, so most of the feedback you will tend to see is people making comments like the above.

You will need to make up your own mind on whether it has value to you.

Reactions: rxlawdude
People have strong opinions on it one way or another (just read through this section you posted in). The people who dont like it like to make sure that everyone knows what their opinion is of it. The people who do like it, in general, are "over" talking about it, so most of the feedback you will tend to see is people making comments like the above.

You will need to make up your own mind on whether it has value to you.
I think it really comes down to I am a tech nerd and it all just sounds appeasing to me.

funny enough, Not more than 5 minutes ago received this text from my tesla advisor when I asked him the questions:

Hi , when a customer purchases FSD on their vehicle, FSD will stay with the vehicle and goes to the next owner if they decide to sell the vehicle.
We do not remove FSD from the vehicle if a customer has purchased FSD already. Once FSD has been purchased for that vehicle, it will always stay with that vehicle and does not transfer to another car.

it is just so crazy because is it true? I mean, I dunno…I see so many people are saying the opposite of what he just said.

I think it really comes down to I am a tech nerd and it all just sounds appeasing to me.

funny enough, Not more than 5 minutes ago received this text from my tesla advisor when I asked him the questions:

Hi , when a customer purchases FSD on their vehicle, FSD will stay with the vehicle and goes to the next owner if they decide to sell the vehicle.
We do not remove FSD from the vehicle if a customer has purchased FSD already. Once FSD has been purchased for that vehicle, it will always stay with that vehicle and does not transfer to another car.

it is just so crazy because is it true? I mean, I dunno…I see so many people are saying the opposite of what he just said.

Sure, what they are telling you is all true, you are just reading something different into what they are saying there than they are saying.

FSD does go to the "next owner" of the vehicle, when its sold. Tesla does not remove FSD from the vehicle when the transfer is between 2 private owners. None of that contradicts anything I said either.

FSD does NOT transfer from one vehicle to another with the owner, even though people want it to.

None of that contradicts anything we understand the facts to be. Where you are reading into it, and what they did not specifically address, and wont, is "What happens if the "next owner, is TESLA"? If someone trades a car into tesla (thus they are the next owner) they can, and DO remove FSD from said vehicles (or sell them on their website with a markup with FSD, even though FSD was already there).

They also sometimes send those cars to auction, and other dealers buy them. Sometimes it takes some time for the FSD removal to actually get pushed through to the car.

I am going to refer you back to my original post in this thread, and say that nothing tesla texted you contradicts what I said in the slightest.

The new 2021 will also have the new interior and heat pump and black trim and power trunk. Those are very hard to retrofit.
I get the tech draw of FSD, but at it's current state as a techie, you will quickly see that the subscription service or $200/mo is a MUCH better way to consume it unless you drive thousands of miles per month. You'll still get to play with everything FSD has, then once you get over the"newness" of it and seat for what it is, go back to not paying for it. I believe if FSD was transferrable, or at least transferrable for X years and priced right, it would have a bigger take rate and be worth it.

Reactions: 2101Guy
lol! maybe I am too new to all this and it is actually something HATED...I have read mixed reviews on it.
I mean, its all about expectations. If you go in expecting Level 2 SAE autonomous driving? YOu will be happy. But if you go in expecting what Elon has stated/tweeted (NYC to LA with no human intervention, Robotaxi service by end of 2020, etc), then you will be SORELY disappointed.

There is a reason for this..

and if Carmax is willing to put IN WRITING, that FSD will stay with the car for duration of your ownership, or else they will refund you $10k? Then expect FSD to remain.
Otherwise, set your expectation accordingly and plan for it to be removed by Tesla one night

Reactions: Krash and t3sl4drvr

Interesting, how do you know it has FSD? As far as I know CarMax doesn't list that option on their website and calls I've made to them in the past have been less than informative...

Would the Carfax or whatever show if it was owned by Tesla or auctioned?

Interesting, how do you know it has FSD? As far as I know CarMax doesn't list that option on their website and calls I've made to them in the past have been less than informative...

Haha I’m literally sitting in the car right now and it actually says Full Self Driving “package included” and premium connectivity “package included”

the dealership told me that this car was someone who traded it in.

Haha I’m literally sitting in the car right now and it actually says Full Self Driving “package included” and premium connectivity “package included”

Sounds like you've found your new car. ;)

I purchased my M3 from a dealer with FSD and had no issues. They also had obtained it from a trade in.

I would try and get CarMax to include FSD on the vehicle purchase sheet. That way if Tesla tries to claw it back later, you can take it up with CarMax and CarMax can go after Tesla. In my experience, CarMax has better customer service than Tesla. You can at least talk to people on the phone.

I would try and get CarMax to include FSD on the vehicle purchase sheet. That way if Tesla tries to claw it back later, you can take it up with CarMax and CarMax can go after Tesla. In my experience, CarMax has better customer service than Tesla. You can at least talk to people on the phone.
I have 100% thought about doing that. But, I’m slightly afraid they will up the price on me. They straight up told me today “it comes with the standard autopilot and I have to go to Tesla service center and pay $10,000 if you want FSD”

so, I’m in a slight predicament.

I did take a photo of the screen showing it having FSD and I renamed the car (on that same screen) to show my name and todays date…so maybe if Tesla does something, that will be proof? I dunno, maybe not.