Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Transfer and Camax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 100% thought about doing that. But, I’m slightly afraid they will up the price on me. They straight up told me today “it comes with the standard autopilot and I have to go to Tesla service center and pay $10,000 if you want FSD”

so, I’m in a slight predicament.

I did take a photo of the screen showing it having FSD and I renamed the car (on that same screen) to show my name and todays date…so maybe if Tesla does something, that will be proof? I dunno, maybe not.
my opinion? Since they are stating it was a trade in(assuming they are being truthful), then 99% chance FSD remains with the car. Im guessing the sales people are trained by now to never claim the car has FSD as it relieves them of any liability if FSD gets yanked later. If its priced like it doesnt have FSD and it does/remains? You are good to go. Consider yourself lucky.

Now that said? FSD is a cool trick, but its Level 2. Dont think its more than it is/think its what Elon claims it to be/will be by end of this year. As someone who had FSD on a prior tesla and opted to not pay for it on the new one, I can tell you right now, this aint going to happen. 100% WILL NOT HAPPEN

Elon Musk says Tesla's Full Self-Driving tech will have Level 5 autonomy by the end of 2021

I have 100% thought about doing that. But, I’m slightly afraid they will up the price on me. They straight up told me today “it comes with the standard autopilot and I have to go to Tesla service center and pay $10,000 if you want FSD”

I did take a photo of the screen showing it having FSD and I renamed the car (on that same screen) to show my name and todays date…so maybe if Tesla does something, that will be proof? I dunno, maybe not.

That would only be proof the car had FSD when you bought it, not that it was supposed to have it. If the dealer got the car from the original purchaser, then it will likely stay with the car. I say "likely" because the dealer could have got the car in a trade from its owner, but that doesnt necessarily mean that owner was the original purchaser, nor does it mean that the original purchaser necessarily purchased FSD.

Hopefully, you took my advice and purchased the vehicle because it was a good deal for you without considering FSD into the purchase price. As for all the "its not worth it" posts in this thread, i will refer you back to what I said earlier in this thread, which was:

People have strong opinions on it one way or another (just read through this section you posted in). The people who dont like it like to make sure that everyone knows what their opinion is of it. The people who do like it, in general, are "over" talking about it, so most of the feedback you will tend to see is people making comments like the above.

In any case, congratulations, and Heres to hoping it all works out long term like you want it to.

Hope it all works out for you. Did you get it assigned in the app? You will need to have a tesla account and have credit card on file for supercharging and also under the premium connectivity section as well if you want the LTE service. I would first want to ensure it supercharges before anything.
Oh, and don't forget some shiny pictures.

Well folks…I have the car sitting in my garage right now! I currently have it on a 24 hr test drive.
I am more than likely going to purchase tomorrow…the price just seems right.

5,800 miles, 2020 M3P, red color, FSD and free premium connectivity for $54,000. Im not sure I’ve found a better deal in America, especially given the miles….and I’ve looked on every car site imaginable.

I again asked the folks at the dealer if the car was bought from a private consumer or from an auction…they told me a local individual brought it in to sale

Reactions: 2101Guy
Well folks…I have the car sitting in my garage right now! I currently have it on a 24 hr test drive.
I am more than likely going to purchase tomorrow…the price just seems right.

5,800 miles, 2020 M3P, red color, FSD and free premium connectivity for $54,000. Im not sure I’ve found a better deal in America, especially given the miles….and I’ve looked on every car site imaginable.

I again asked the folks at the dealer if the car was bought from a private consumer or from an auction…they told me a local individual brought it in to sale
in that case, keep it/enjoy it/remain happy!

Im not sure I’ve found a better deal in America, especially given the miles
Have you looked at Tesla dot com? 🤣

Regardless of the miles a MY2020 delivered in the fall of 2019 has already run out almost 2 years of its 4yr warranty

Seems like you’ve convinced yourself you’re getting something worth $10k for free. Well it’s not worth $10k; most people here wouldn’t even pay $199/month for it. And it’s not free: it’s at the cost of getting a brand new one with 4yr of warranty and being the first owner

Have you looked at Tesla dot com? 🤣

Regardless of the miles a MY2020 delivered in the fall of 2019 has already run out almost 2 years of its 4yr warranty

Seems like you’ve convinced yourself you’re getting something worth $10k for free. Well it’s not worth $10k; most people here wouldn’t even pay $199/month for it. And it’s not free: it’s at the cost of getting a brand new one with 4yr of warranty and being the first owner
Yep, I have been looking at tesla.com for awhile…they surprisingly have good deals…just not as good as this one.

Hope it all works out for you. Did you get it assigned in the app? You will need to have a tesla account and have credit card on file for supercharging and also under the premium connectivity section as well if you want the LTE service. I would first want to ensure it supercharges before anything.
Oh, and don't forget some shiny pictures.
Good call…I went to a supercharger to make sure it supercharged..and it sure did! Lol I dunno who paid the $6 it cost (either the previous owner or Carmax) because I haven’t even bought the car yet lol

We just bought a Tesla Model 3 from a used car dealer and are in the same situation you were in. What happened when you claimed the car by submitting the temporary registration showing it was purchaed at a used car dealer? Did the FSD actaull transfer over to you with no issues? I am at that point where I am afraid to calim the car with just the temporary registration before simply getting the title in the mail that doesnt show where I purchaed it from. What was the result with the Carmax purchase? Thanks!

Verify that it’s purchased FSD and not just monthly subscription, take a picture of the screen (or even better a video) and don’t worry about it.

Tesla had no legal grounds for removing FSD from a car they do not own. In worst case you will have to call them and argue with them if they end up removing it “by mistake”They will turn it back on.

(Moderator note - you can’t verify that “it’s purchased FSD” by taking a picture of the screen. All that tells you is that FSD was installed. Not that it was legally purchased.

Yes, Tesla has no grounds from removing FSD that was legally purchased unless Tesla owned the car afterward. Yes, Tesla will turn FSD back on if they remove it by mistake, but for complaints online where Tesla has removed FSD after someone “saw it” on the screen but then it turns out it was mot legally purchased most frequently where Tesla was in process of removing it, in those cases Tesla does have legal grounds to remove it and will not turn it back on).

Last edited by a moderator:
Good call…I went to a supercharger to make sure it supercharged..and it sure did! Lol I dunno who paid the $6 it cost (either the previous owner or Carmax) because I haven’t even bought the car yet lol
If the previous owner has removed the car from their Tesla account, and Carmax hasn't added it to their Tesla account (if they even have it) then the charge was free.

If the previous owner has removed the car from their Tesla account, and Carmax hasn't added it to their Tesla account (if they even have it) then the charge was free.
Yes, Carmax has a Tesla account. When you sell them a Tesla they give you their account info to transfer the car over to it just like you would with a private sale. This seems to be the new SOP since I purchased my 1st Model 3 from them. It certainly helped to speed up the transfer process on the 2nd car I bought, it only took 1 day to transfer it to my account as opposed to over a week on the 1st car.

Also keep in mind that the FSD you are getting is not the early access FSD beta you may have seen videos of lately. Your car will not make turns on local roads. You're getting auto lane changes on highway, navigate on autopilot which takes off/on ramps on the highway, smart summon and autopark, both of which don't work very well. What you are really paying for is someday getting a much improved version of FSD beta.

Kelley Blue Book values FSD at $1,000 for used Teslas.

pretty simple question and I know it has been discussed prior, but I am trying to see if we have better evidence :)

I currently have a Model 3 Performance on hold at Carmax, and it is a great price (surprisingly)....and one of the options is the desirable FSD.

I see so much confliction on if FSD transfers---has anyone bought a car from Carmax recently and FSD transferred fine, or did it disappear after you took over ownership of the vehicle in the app/website?

Does Carmax PROPERLY switch ownership after you buy the car? aka, do they have the person who traded the car in properly hand over ownership to Carmax and then Carmax goes on the Tesla website and properly hand over ownership to the next buyer...or do we always have to "claim ownership"?

I really want this Model 3...but it is so hard as I am afraid that Tesla will magically remove the FSD after the ownership is changed to me.

I wish Tesla would stop being so quiet about FSD and give us CLEAR guidance what the parameters are for when FSD transfers...I spoke to a Tesla rep today and they could not provide any proper guidance.
Get a history report online. Carfax or similar. You can see who owned it. When you add a Tesla to your Tesla online profile it will ask you if you bought it from a private party or dealer ( I don’t remember actually if it states dealer). Just select private party. Upload your registration and your done. It’s none of teslas business where you bought the car. As is where is common law is on your side.