Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Transfer - NO - but Tesla says it's really OK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is though. That's what replacement cost is. They must pay the cost to replace what you had before.

Again it sounds like you have some lesser coverage and are unfamiliar with such policies.

Confirmed- you don't have a replacement cost policy and don't appear to understand them.

I just sourced to 2 people from 2 different insurance companies who DID get the full cost of FSD added to their insurance settlement as examples of the replacement cost coverage you don't appear to have.
In that case, "replacement cost" policies are atypical and most people do *not* have them. So it's still a moot point. Asides for agreed-value policies, I have never seen anyone with an auto insurance policy that pays the new cost no matter what.

Possibly it would be useful to go back to the original post that spawned this tangent since you seem to have moved pretty far afield from it?

How many cars do you think have been purchased with FSD and crashed or sold with those owners never getting a chance to actually use any sort of FSD? (A couple of gimmicky features like summon are NOT “FSD”)

He was citing the case of someone "losing" what they paid for FSD by crashing their car with FSD.

I pointed out insurance would cover that.

It seems even you agree they're obligated to replace a Tesla with FSD with another Tesla with FSD.

Once you agree with that, I'm not sure why you'd care about the specific policy details involved. The guy who crashed his FSD car still ends up with another FSD car- without needing to pay anything out of pocket to buy FSD again. (assuming he goes with a tesla as his replacement car).

Possibly it would be useful to go back to the original post that spawned this tangent since you seem to have moved pretty far afield from it?

He was citing the case of someone "losing" what they paid for FSD by crashing their car with FSD.

It seems even you agree they're obligated to replace a Tesla with FSD with another Tesla with FSD.

Once you agree with that, I'm not sure why you'd care about the specific policy details involved. The guy who crashed his FSD car still ends up with another FSD car- without needing to pay anything out of pocket to buy FSD again. (assuming he goes with a tesla as his replacement car).
As best as I can tell, the vast majority of auto insurance policies are "actual cash value" policies. I cannot even find an insurance company that offers a so-called "replacement cost" policy. Most people are not going to get $12k for FSD. They'll just get market value, which is near 0.

The irony is at the end of the day, Tesla is the only one who benefits, even if your insurance covers FSD replacement.

There is now a crashed vehicle at the junk yard with FSD that was paid for by the owner, who never got to enjoy it. And now the owner has a replacement vehicle purchased by the insurance company who cashed out another FSD bill and paid Tesla once more for software the owner will probably never get to enjoy 😀

As best as I can tell, the vast majority of auto insurance policies are "actual cash value" policies. I cannot even find an insurance company that offers a so-called "replacement cost" policy. Most people are not going to get $12k for FSD. They'll just get market value, which is near 0.

I just gave you links, of actual people, with different insurance companies, who got the full cost of FSD back when their FSD vehicle was totaled.

Yet you keep insisting this doesn't happen.

It's kind of a weird hill to die on but you do you I guess.

I just gave you links, of actual people, with different insurance companies, who got the full cost of FSD back when their FSD vehicle was totaled.

Yet you keep insisting this doesn't happen.

It's kind of a weird hill to die on but you do you I guess.
I feel that your argument is very weak. I can find you links to articles of people who pulled a jack pot win off an insurance company, and articles of people who completely got screwed over by insurance companies. Once again there’s a huge difference between what insurance companies should do and what they will do. Results may vary.

I feel that your argument is very weak. I can find you links to articles of people who pulled a jack pot win off an insurance company, and articles of people who completely got screwed over by insurance companies.

Can you find any examples of people who were not compensated for FSD when their Tesla was totaled?

Because if not I think my argument is a lot stronger than yours, since I have actual examples and you've thus far provided none.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yelobird
Insurance depends a lot on the state. But I've had replacement cost insurance for last 2 decades through Costco/Amex. I pay only $10 or so for that over 6 months.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Because if its as bad as you say then seeing that on (say) YouTube would be a good data point for others, and draw attention to issues that need to be addressed (and push Tesla toward addressing them).
Seeing that I’ve had my car at the service center 3 times and 1 mobile appointment that they just recently cancelled and changed to a SC appointment a month ahead, I don’t really think Tesla cares about my opinion. They keep apologizing but then always coming up with another reason of why they couldn’t fix something and I should bring the car back another day. There’s always either some part mix up or something didn’t come in, but interestingly enough it’s never when I drop the car off, it’s always 1-2 days later while my car sits in their lot (TeslaMate logs any movement) without being touched.

Seeing that I’ve had my car at the service center 3 times and 1 mobile appointment that they just recently cancelled and changed to a SC appointment a month ahead, I don’t really think Tesla cares about my opinion.
Well, the ability of the SC to feedback issues to the upper echelons of Tesla is probably nil. If you want results and have a genuine issue, these days you should use public media.

Well, the ability of the SC to feedback issues to the upper echelons of Tesla is probably nil. If you want results and have a genuine issue, these days you should use public media.
I’ve made the mistake of purchasing FSD and I’ll live with the consequences of my decisions. Am I hoping that one day it’ll become the latest, greatest, best thing ever? Sure. Maybe then I’ll change my mind about my investment into it. Am I going to hold my breath until then? I don’t think so. I also have no desire to attract negative attention to FSD on YouTube. Tesla is going to do what Tesla is going to do.

For $5000 FSD was totally worth it but $12000?
Show me a competitor that sells comparable option for $5k?

Lucid sells unspecified semi-autonomous features coming in the future for $9k. Chinese OEMs Nio, XPeng etc sell for near that price.

You might think an Apple Watch should cost no more than $100 - doesn’t mean it’s “unfair” for them to price it at $500.

At this point if someone buys FSD without knowing what it is and years of Elon saying FSD will come this year and it doesn't .... then they are simply not doing even basic homework.
What you’re trying to argue here is essentially “it can’t be a fraud because everyone knows it’s a fraud.” Except that’s not how it works.

What you’re trying to argue here is essentially “it can’t be a fraud because everyone knows it’s a fraud.” Except that’s not how it works.
No - "fraud" is not whatever you want it to be. It actually has a meaning ;)

The ordering page clearly says what is included and what is not - unlike Lucid who wants to charge $9k for something undefined and coming at an undisclosed future.