Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD TRIAL GLITCH not to be confused with FSD beta!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok this is going to be a little hard to explain but I’m hoping someone can help me. I apologize if it’s confusing.

I purchased my 2020 Model Y performance Demo model Dec 29th 2020 it already had FSD installed when purchased not to be confused with FSD beta. I got it home and for the first week all was good with the FSD no changes.

Then all of a sudden now it says FSD expires April 2021 and that I can buy it as an upgrade for $10K. I get that there is a free trial but it has over written the original FSD that was already on the car when I bought it.

After the trial is up will I need to buy FSD now for the $10K even though the car already had it when I bought it?

I called Tesla and they just said my computer shows that I have the full self driving computer.

I am curious to know if of others who did not purchase the car with FSD does your computer say Full Self Driving Computer or does it say autopilot. If you bought the car within those last 5 days of 2020 does it say you have FSD computer and does it have an expiration date.

04AD6C3E-8EA2-4452-B0DC-B7E1957D740E.jpeg

Ok this is going to be a little hard to explain but I’m hoping someone can help me. I apologize if it’s confusing.

I purchased my 2020 Model Y performance Demo model Dec 29th 2020 it already had FSD installed when purchased not to be confused with FSD beta. I got it home and for the first week all was good with the FSD no changes.

Then all of a sudden now it says FSD expires April 2021 and that I can buy it as an upgrade for $10K. I get that there is a free trial but it has over written the original FSD that was already on the car when I bought it.

After the trial is up will I need to buy FSD now for the $10K even though the car already had it when I bought it?

I called Tesla and they just said my computer shows that I have the full self driving computer.

I am curious to know if of others who did not purchase the car with FSD does your computer say Full Self Driving Computer or does it say autopilot. If you bought the car within those last 5 days of 2020 does it say you have FSD computer and does it have an expiration date.

View attachment 629139
What don’t you understand?

You have a free 3-month trial of FSD
After that it will revert to basic Autopilot

All vehicles have the FSD computer installed

I suggest you check your bill of sale which most likely would have been emailed to you. It would show the Full Self Driving option listed if it is permanently installed. If the demo model Y you purchased already had the Full Self Driving option installed, and it was not installed as a 3 month trial, it will be on your bill of sale and you would have it for the life of the car.

If you don't see it listed at all, it's almost certainly a trial period and based on the message you received, it appears this may be the case. If so, you could always purchase the FSD option once the trial ends, or wait for the monthly full self driving subscription option to be released.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dre78
If its not on your bill of sale, you didnt buy it. Any car that comes from tesla "with it included" would have it on the bill of sale. Otherwise, what you have is the 3 month trial. The "Full self driving computer" is Hardware 3, and having that doesnt mean you have paid for FSD, just that you have the latest computer.

TL ;DR , unless its on your bill of sale, you didnt get FSD "for free" like you thought you did. You got a 3 month extended trial, that will expire, like everyone else who bought a car the same time you did.

Paid for meaning on bill of sale yes
If its not on your bill of sale, you didnt buy it. Any car that comes from tesla "with it included" would have it on the bill of sale. Otherwise, what you have is the 3 month trial. The "Full self driving computer" is Hardware 3, and having that doesnt mean you have paid for FSD, just that you have the latest computer.

TL ;DR , unless its on your bill of sale, you didnt get FSD "for free" like you thought you did. You got a 3 month extended trial, that will expire, like everyone else who bought a car the same time you did.

it is on my bill of sale yes

Paid for meaning on bill of sale yes

it is on my bill of sale yes

Then, you should be good to go. I would personally just wait to see what happens when yours is "supposed" to expire. If it actually does, it should be a very simple matter to contact tesla, prove you "paid for it" and they would turn it back on, if in fact it goes away.

Since you have proof you paid for it, directly from tesla, then you shouldnt have anything to worry about.

Reactions: Dre78
Then, you should be good to go. I would personally just wait to see what happens when yours is "supposed" to expire. If it actually does, it should be a very simple matter to contact tesla, prove you "paid for it" and they would turn it back on, if in fact it goes away.

Since you have proof you paid for it, directly from tesla, then you shouldnt have anything to worry about.
Haha ok that’s good that’s all I was worried about but yes it’s on the final bill of sale I didn’t think to look there lol and was not sure if all Tesla’s show full self driving computer as our old one M3 didn’t say full self driving computer until we bought it as an upgrade.

Haha ok that’s good that’s all I was worried about but yes it’s on the final bill of sale I didn’t think to look there lol and was not sure if all Tesla’s show full self driving computer as our old one M3 didn’t say full self driving computer until we bought it as an upgrade.

just checking, but "full self driving computer" isnt "full self driving, the option"....

It's just like a pandemic, I would be proactive and would not wait for it to come to you. I would start asking Tesla to make the correction as soon as possible.

It's quick simple coding but the bureaucracy may take some time to correct.

Good luck!
I agree with that also. Better to do it now while it's still fresh and get it fixed than wait until later and possibly be in for a nasty surprise and possibly have to fight for it. I would suggest OP to contact customer service about this issue (I had good experience with chat support in general).

I agree with that also. Better to do it now while it's still fresh and get it fixed than wait until later and possibly be in for a nasty surprise and possibly have to fight for it. I would suggest OP to contact customer service about this issue (I had good experience with chat support in general).

Thats as long as it is actually on their motor vehicle purchasing agreement, and it doesnt just say "full self driving computer". The OP says "Its on the invoice" but mentions "full self driving computer" which simply means it has hardware 3. They also say they called tesla and tesla just says they have the computer".

If they actually paid for full self driving, it will be a line item on the invoice. Not full self driving computer, but full self driving. I am not directing this at you, but at the OP. IF they actually paid for it, this will be simple to deal with, but I am not convinced that is the case, based on the totality of the OPs statements in this thread.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Yes to confirm my invoice and build says FSD for $10600 this is also not our first Tesla and not our first FSD yes I’m a little upset I had to pay twice already within 3 months of each other I mean I recovered some cost from my 2020 M3 but ultimately lost $12K anyway haha so really don’t want to have to pay for it a 3rd time. I just really don’t remember my M3 saying Full Self Driving Computer until I purchased the FSD option I don’t know if it just said autopilot or a computer ID code. Either way I will try to call Tesla again or go down to my service centre and work this out.

Yes to confirm my invoice and build says FSD for $10600 this is also not our first Tesla and not our first FSD yes I’m a little upset I had to pay twice already within 3 months of each other I mean I recovered some cost from my 2020 M3 but ultimately lost $12K anyway haha so really don’t want to have to pay for it a 3rd time. I just really don’t remember my M3 saying Full Self Driving Computer until I purchased the FSD option I don’t know if it just said autopilot or a computer ID code. Either way I will try to call Tesla again or go down to my service centre and work this out.
Hey buddy, what was the outcome here? Did it expire? Have they fixed it for you?