Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD turn on red

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the record I do not own FSD so I am asking FSD users or anyone with experience.

Just out of curiosity while at a full stop signaling left at a non-control spotlight. If there are many on-coming cars heading towards you and the light turns red. Will the car run a red light to make the left-turn or will the driver have to take control and make the decision?

I am pretty sure there are tons of videos on youtube but I don't want to watch all 10 mins to find out an answer.

Thanks in advance

Unless you have access to the limited beta, currently FSD is not designed to operate on roads like you describe.

I’n the beta the car does make unprotected lefts like what you describe, at least some of the time.

For the record I do not own FSD so I am asking FSD users or anyone with experience.

Just out of curiosity while at a full stop signaling left at a non-control spotlight. If there are many on-coming cars heading towards you and the light turns red. Will the car run a red light to make the left-turn or will the driver have to take control and make the decision?

I am pretty sure there are tons of videos on youtube but I don't want to watch all 10 mins to find out an answer.

Thanks in advance
If I understand your question, no the car will normally not run the red light. There are a very few examples in the FSD beta videos where the car was confused about which of multiple signal lights applied to traffic in its own lane.

So running a red light it's not unheard of, you'd have to be ready for that mistake but it's a very unusual mistake for FSD beta. A much more common mistake is that it still shows poor and delayed decision-making in identifying suitable oncoming-traffic gaps, those that would allow a safe turn. Overall, unprotected lefts are a major weakness, but improvements are happening.

And to be clear, this explanation applies only to the limited beta of "Autosteer on City Streets" aka FSD beta. Neither the standard-issue Autopilot nor the current wide release of optional paid FSD software, will perform left or right turns for you.

Reactions: Snowball316
If I understand your question, no the car will normally not run the red light. There are a very few examples in the FSD beta videos where the car was confused about which of multiple signal lights applied to traffic in its own lane.

So running a red light it's not unheard of, you'd have to be ready for that mistake but it's a very unusual mistake for FSD beta. A much more common mistake is that it still shows poor and delayed decision-making in identifying suitable oncoming-traffic gaps, those that would allow a safe turn. Overall, unprotected lefts are a major weakness, but improvements are happening.

And to be clear, this explanation applies only to the limited beta of "Autosteer on City Streets" aka FSD beta. Neither the standard-issue Autopilot nor the current wide release of optional paid FSD software, will perform left or right turns for you.
I think the question is about making an unprotected left at intersection with a stoplight and heavy traffic. Convention is to pull out into the intersection and wait for a gap in traffic. Often the light turns yellow while cars are still approaching and you must judge whether or not oncoming cars will stop or not. This is a very common cause of collisions. Sometimes oncoming cars push it to the point that you're in the intersection when light turns red and you must complete the turn while the light is red.
I'm not sure I've actually seen FSD Beta behavior in this situation. You would definitely want to keep your hands on the wheel and foot hovering over the brakes...

Thanks in advance
The car won’t go to the middle of the street and wait. Iirc, every video I’ve seen so far of unprotected lefts in this situation would just sit at the stop line. If traffic didn’t abate enough before the light turned yellow and then red, then the car would likely sit there for multiple light changes. I haven’t seen that happen yet since most times the driver will “encourage” the car to move forward by goosing the go pedal, but that’s presumably what would happen without driver intervention.

I think the question is about making an unprotected left at intersection with a stoplight and heavy traffic. Convention is to pull out into the intersection and wait for a gap in traffic. Often the light turns yellow while cars are still approaching and you must judge whether or not oncoming cars will stop or not.
At first I too thought that was the question. But then I saw

"Will the car run a red light to make the left-turn...?"

I don't call it "running a red light" if you're clearing yourself out of the intersection and you're already past the stop line. This is not to argue about semantics, I was just trying to interpret the question. Occasionally you do see someone who hasn't actually entered the intersection but still tries to get their left turn in before the cross-traffic starts up, i.e. actually run the light. FSD beta certainly won't do that unless it's confused about the light to begin with.

It's probably in the videos somewhere, but I've watched a lot of them and I don't specifically recall seeing the FSD beta vehicles pull past the light and wait, as we commonly do. In general, the FSD releases so far have not shown a good ability to wait without inappropriately pointing the vehicle and nosing or even lurching towards the oncoming near lane - whether or not the unprotected left is at a signal equipped intersection.
This is a very common cause of collisions. Sometimes oncoming cars push it to the point that you're in the intersection when light turns red and you must complete the turn while the light is red.
I'm not sure I've actually seen FSD Beta behavior in this situation. You would definitely want to keep your hands on the wheel and foot hovering over the brakes...
I think we're in agreement on that.