Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD up to $10k on October 29, 2020??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dunno. I can't get AP not to fail on some windy roads upstate, they haven't even gotten the staying in the lane down pat and not slamming on the brakes from time to time.

I know Elon has said that he cracked the code and the car sees in 3D now, but I can't trust the free, limited, AP in anything other than basic situations. Elon should make it a subscription model if he is sure that this is worth the hype and $$$. If he is right, cash flow will..... Flow.
Elon tweeted that’s coming early next year.

Robocars and making money while we sleep are now very real for 2021. I’m all in on FSD before Monday but I will wait to upgrade until Saturday midday so I can return it Monday if for some reason he doesn’t follow through with the $2k price hike.

I did notice his message said had the "~" symbol in front of it. Seems to be making the amount somewhat ambiguous...?

And it seems the day isn't Monday anymore, but Thursday...

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I thought the Teslarati story on the monthly subscription plan for FSD having said that on the earnings call they alluded to the fact that yes monthly subscription service will be here "sometime next year". I didn't see where it was said that it would be in Q1 of next year.

My biggest hang-up now after thinking about this more is, do I bite the bullet and pay $8K now to avoid the $10K new price next week. I'm not a big fan of the idea that the upgrade follows your car and not your account if down the road I want to get in a new Tesla vehicle. Spending $8K now and getting a higher price whenever in the future I sell the car, I will get the upside bump for having that be part of the car but then if I turn around and get a new Tesla, I'll have to buy again and at that point, it could be closer to $15K to $20K or more.

This is where a monthly subscription plan would make way more sense. Especially if they give us the ability to go month to month and turn it on and off depending on what we plan on doing that month.

Any opinions on any of the above? Still tempted to just bite the bullet at $8K but it would drive me nuts if I drop that now and not get nearly the functionality I'm paying for until sometime next year, and then a subscription plan pops up that DOES follow you with your account.

Thoughts?

Reactions: bicar and HeyEph
I thought the Teslarati story on the monthly subscription plan for FSD having said that on the earnings call they alluded to the fact that yes monthly subscription service will be here "sometime next year". I didn't see where it was said that it would be in Q1 of next year.

My biggest hang-up now after thinking about this more is, do I bite the bullet and pay $8K now to avoid the $10K new price next week. I'm not a big fan of the idea that the upgrade follows your car and not your account if down the road I want to get in a new Tesla vehicle. Spending $8K now and getting a higher price whenever in the future I sell the car, I will get the upside bump for having that be part of the car but then if I turn around and get a new Tesla, I'll have to buy again and at that point, it could be closer to $15K to $20K or more.

This is where a monthly subscription plan would make way more sense. Especially if they give us the ability to go month to month and turn it on and off depending on what we plan on doing that month.

Any opinions on any of the above? Still tempted to just bite the bullet at $8K but it would drive me nuts if I drop that now and not get nearly the functionality I'm paying for until sometime next year, and then a subscription plan pops up that DOES follow you with your account.

Thoughts?

I am in the same boat as you. I had MY on order and will get in in early November.
I like new tech but did not find enough features in FSD to justify the cost.
I do tend to hold on to my cars for a long time.
I still don't think full FSD will happen anytime soon even though beta looks good.
I also saw in exchange in twitter where tesla raj suggested to elon FSD should follow the driver and he was told Elon would consider it.
If FSD follows the driver I will certainly buy it now before the price increase.
At this time we don't know when subscription service will start and how expensive it would be. I cannot image it would be less than $250-$300 per month so the folks you prepaid may break even in 3 plus years.
We don't know if we will ever be allowed to transfer FSD to a new car. If this capability is released we don't know if it will be offered to folks who have already fully paid for FSD previously.

We have until next Thursday to determine if we should upgrade. Let me know if you do end up upgrading.

• Informative
I am in the same boat as you. I had MY on order and will get in in early November.
I still don't think full FSD will happen anytime soon even though beta looks good.
I also saw in exchange in twitter where tesla raj suggested to elon FSD should follow the driver and he was told Elon would consider it.
If FSD follows the driver I will certainly buy it now before the price increase.
At this time we don't know when subscription service will start and how expensive it would be. I cannot image it would be less than $250-$300 per month so the folks you prepaid may break even in 3 plus years.
We don't know if we will ever be allowed to transfer FSD to a new car. If this capability is released we don't know if it will be offered to folks who have already fully paid for FSD previously.

We have until next Thursday to determine if we should upgrade. Let me know if you do end up upgrading.

You are right about the spectulation around the monthly fee and it's been discussed widely across forums and platforms. No one believes it will be $100/mo and likely much closer to what you were saying of $250 to $400 per month in which case, I agree that you'd own it outright for that monthly in 3 years. But with that added monthly premium if you have the ability to not pay for a month if you are traveling for example, and then turn back on, that flexibility is compelling.

I'll probably end up just getting it over with and doing the upgrade at $8K but yes, I will be reading between now and then about what others have to say.

This is a very interesting thread. I'm trying to come up with a guesstimate as to the possibility of FSD actually increasing the value of the car over time. I certainly wouldn't use enough of the features to justify getting it but if it adds value, it might be worth considering. I've got an early MY and have resisted the software offerings so far. The beta stuff looks tempting.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201023-171454_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    Screenshot_20201023-171454_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 67

If FSD followed ME, I would plunk down for it now, and have no cars other than Tesla for the rest of my driving years. I previously put it on my S and kind of saw no real upside for the investment.

Nope for me. If it were transferrable I'd fork over the money now. Fully transferrable FSD would be a big incentive to keep folks on the Tesla ecosystem as more and more automakers go electric.

I'll pay the increased price later, maybe when the next generation of hardware comes out or when I get my Cybertruck.

• Love
Nope for me. If it were transferrable I'd fork over the money now. Fully transferrable FSD would be a big incentive to keep folks on the Tesla ecosystem as more and more automakers go electric.

I'll pay the increased price later, maybe when the next generation of hardware comes out or when I get my Cybertruck.
You may want to lock in FSD now on that CT (I did). We don’t know what the price will be next year EOY 2021 or BOY 22 if these get released Elon time. You can always decline it later.

You may want to lock in FSD now on that CT (I did). We don’t know what the price will be next year EOY 2021 or BOY 22 if these get released Elon time. You can always decline it later.

I totally agree. There is ZERO downside to adding FSD to every CT order now and lock in the $8K when you know it will go up 25% in 5 days. Just remove it later if you feel so inclined.

I’m seriously considering it. Damn Elon! I did the Enhanced Auto Pilot because it was real world and immediately useful features. I paid $4000 so now my upgrade price to FSD which doesn’t include much more in real world immediate useful features is $5000. I’m sure that will go up to $7000 ish on Monday. That would include whatever future updates to make it truly FSD. It’s just a lot of money after having just purchased the vehicle less than a month ago and doing PPF and Ceramic Coating as well as other accessories. Then upgrading to EAP which is revolutionary and awesome IMHO. I am so tempted to go all in before it prices me out totally and take the hit now for future awesomeness! What is everyone else thinking?

remember: you never miss what you’ve never had.

remember: you never miss what you’ve never had.

Well I pulled the pin and ordered it last night. I thought about it a lot,watched the many videos and am a big fan of my EAP. I hope and honestly think it will add value to the car in 5-6 years if I go to sell it. The FSD will certainly have increased by lots of $ by then and will help offset some of the anticipated depreciation due to having what some call the “dreaded 2020 model year of the MY” as opposed to 2021 MY. Either way I will take full advantage of the abilities when they are released and enjoy them and hopefully watch the price continue to go up and make my car more valuable. I’m happy and the only sad part is that I didn’t wake up to new software and functionality. Soon I hope.