Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Upgrade: How long did you have to wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,
I'm considering ponying up the $5k for the upgrade from eAP (I'm on HW2.5) to FSD. I'm curious,

1. How long after you clicked the purchase button in the app did you have to wait before getting your upgrade?

2. Did Tesla contact you proactively to setup the appointment or did you have to contact them?

3. Did they have hardware in stock ready to go or did you have to wait for them to get it in stock?

4. Did you have any other work done by service while they had the car? I have a few minor issues I'd like for them to look at but don't want to pile too much on and risk something going wrong.

5. Is this an upgrade that can be done by mobile service, or does the car have to go to a service center.

Thanks for your feedback!

...1. How long after you clicked the purchase button in the app did you have to wait before getting your upgrade?...

1 month

...2. Did Tesla contact you proactively to setup the appointment or did you have to contact them?...

Yes. They called and said don't come on my chosen appointment but wait for them to get the parts first and they'll call you.

...3. Did they have hardware in stock ready to go or did you have to wait for them to get it in stock?...

No in stock. Have to wait.

...4. Did you have any other work done by service while they had the car? I have a few minor issues I'd like for them to look at but don't want to pile too much on and risk something going wrong....

No, but I don't see any downside for other services such as tire rotation... at the same time.

...5. Is this an upgrade that can be done by mobile service, or does the car have to go to a service center.

Not sure. They didn't offer mobile service for mine.

• Helpful
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
1 month

Yes. They called and said don't come on my chosen appointment but wait for them to get the parts first and they'll call you.

No in stock. Have to wait.

No, but I don't see any downside for other services such as tire rotation... at the same time.

Not sure. They didn't offer mobile service for mine.
Thanks Tam. If you don't mind me asking, when did you place your FSD order? Do you remember? I'm asking because I would hope that if it was a while back that the wait time may be less now that they're hopefully in a good rhythm and this is process they have improved after having done more of them.

Also, did you notice any improvements in your EAP experience after upgrading from HW2.x to HW3?

...when did you place your FSD order?...

I made an app appointment in July 2020 and it takes 1 month to get the parts for service.

...any improvements in your EAP experience after upgrading from HW2.x to HW3?

I don't think so. The MCU responsiveness is much more robust, nice visualization, nice video recording but the driving automation competency was the same. I didn't see any Automation Driving Skill improvement. Of course, it got better with each software update but I don't think it's because of the hardware updates.

• Informative
I had the free upgrade to the FSD computer done on my 2017, and I had to wait only a week or so in the Palm Springs area. Mobile service. This was about a month or so back. Tam went after the upgrade earlier, when there was a bit more of a backlog. I doubt you get much more functionality till the FSD pilot extends to you or is released in some form.

I had the free upgrade to the FSD computer done on my 2017, and I had to wait only a week or so in the Palm Springs area. Mobile service. This was about a month or so back. Tam went after the upgrade earlier, when there was a bit more of a backlog. I doubt you get much more functionality till the FSD pilot extends to you or is released in some form.
Yea that's exactly what I was getting at... My hope was Tesla is now doing these with Mobile service and the wait is not long... like days or weeks. I was also curious if anyone noticed any differences with their experience. What I mean by that is in the performance of the current feature set... I realize by paying for the EAP>FSD upgrade I will get stop light/sign recognition (added feature) but I was more curious about how EAP/Nav on AP "feels" after getting the upgrade. Both on the smoothness of the visuals as well as the car's driving. When I watch videos of people with the HW3 computer, the visualizations def seem smoother, more detailed, and less jumpy.... almost like getting higher frame rate.