Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Upgrade Install Date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's all remember that Elon tweeted in October of 2018 that Enhanced Summon was "~6 weeks away". We're now in August 2019 with nothing yet.

If FSD retrofits are coming in "late Q4" (per Elon), place your wagers.

Reactions: croman
I believe his disclaimer was that the hardware upgrades will start AFTER the software has progressed to where there are FSD features available that AP 2.x hardware can't handle. There is no point upgrading now since the software won't take advantage of it. We know new cars are shipping with AP 3.0 hardware so keep an eye out for when those cars can do FSD things the rest of the fleet can't. I also like the idea of waiting just in case there is a AP 3.1 revision with different radar/camera, etc. Why fill the service centers twice to do upgrades when you can wait to do it all at once when it is confirmed what is actually required.

Always difficult to project Musk time to real time...

Tesla may defer this until they've had a profitable quarter, since the HW3 upgrades will be done at no charge, so they'll incur hardware and service costs without realizing any new revenue.

The China trade deal could also be a factor, since Tesla is tariffs on the HW3 processor assembled in China.

Until there's software that can actually use the faster processor, there isn't any reason to roll out the upgrades - and there's considerable uncertainty as to when the software will be ready...

I believe his disclaimer was that the hardware upgrades will start AFTER the software has progressed to where there are FSD features available that AP 2.x hardware can't handle. There is no point upgrading now since the software won't take advantage of it. We know new cars are shipping with AP 3.0 hardware so keep an eye out for when those cars can do FSD things the rest of the fleet can't. I also like the idea of waiting just in case there is a AP 3.1 revision with different radar/camera, etc. Why fill the service centers twice to do upgrades when you can wait to do it all at once when it is confirmed what is actually required.

This is what I was wondering. I don't want to get FSD if the new computers additional power is just sitting there. Not even for 3 grand. You have confirmed something I was looking for data on.

Always difficult to project Musk time to real time...

Tesla may defer this until they've had a profitable quarter, since the HW3 upgrades will be done at no charge, so they'll incur hardware and service costs without realizing any new revenue.

The China trade deal could also be a factor, since Tesla is tariffs on the HW3 processor assembled in China.

Until there's software that can actually use the faster processor, there isn't any reason to roll out the upgrades - and there's considerable uncertainty as to when the software will be ready...

It's not no charge. We paid for it. Let's not be delusional.

Reactions: dzmconstr