Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD upgrade/no MCU upgrade shows more than anticipated...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

OK, so maybe I haven't been paying attention to detail. But, I have to say that I was surprised--after my Model S75D CPO with FSD upgrade to HW3.0, but not the MCU->2 upgrade--to see so many details in the IC display.

Do I see traffic cones? No. But I do see traffic lights (with light colors), and I even saw a stop sign today, which I was not anticipating. I've also seen cyclists, if that matters.

Have I just misread what this enables, without the MCU2 upgrade?

(FWIW, I'm running on 2020.20.12.)

Welcome your thoughts,

Todd

I'm sure its covered in one of the long threads on these upgrade topics - but to answer your question.

yes - i did the AP3 upgrade and kept my MCU1 - Very short calibration and traffic lights showed up right away. I'm pretty sure cyclists were already there though, I've seen them in the past.

Hello,

OK, so maybe I haven't been paying attention to detail. But, I have to say that I was surprised--after my Model S75D CPO with FSD upgrade to HW3.0, but not the MCU->2 upgrade--to see so many details in the IC display.

Do I see traffic cones? No. But I do see traffic lights (with light colors), and I even saw a stop sign today, which I was not anticipating. I've also seen cyclists, if that matters.

Have I just misread what this enables, without the MCU2 upgrade?

(FWIW, I'm running on 2020.20.12.)

Welcome your thoughts,

Todd
All that you are seeing was announced by Tesla. So far I have not seen cyclists and I did before the upgrade. I am about 5 days on the HW3 computer. I believe MCU2 will show traffic cones, trash cans on the side of the road.

With MCU1, there is a dedicated processor for the instrument cluster - that processor should be fast enough to support the FSD visualization graphics.

The major obstacle could be source code compatibility - since the processor for MCU1 is different than MCU2.

So far, haven't noticed any differences in FSD capabilities between our MCU1/S and our MCU2/X... And until Tesla provides FM/HD/XM radio support for the Infotainment Upgrade, it's unlikely we'll upgrade our S to MCU2.