Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Upgrade price Grandfathering transferable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depends on if Tesla has accounts with purchase dates that (supposedly; I haven't actually heard confirmation) will be refunded the $1000 after they purchase FSD for $5000, or if they have VIN numbers flagged.

For the wife's Model X, we purchased FSD a month ago. We were grandfathered in the original $4K. We purchased it from the My Tesla page for $5K, and then a week or two later, we got a $1K + tax refund on the same credit card, effectively making the FSD purchase $4K.

No idea if it's transferable as you need to make the purchase from your My Tesla page.

• Informative
Reactions: DukeofURL
On the topic, will the $4000 FSD upgrade still be honoured with the upcoming autopilot hardware changes?

No one knows for sure. The investor call hinted that you should not wait for the new Model S. Model X and Model 3 to come with AP3 hardware in the Q2, so that would imply that you can still get FSD for whatever price it is now (it's an off menu item).

I would suspect that once AP3 hardware is ready, EAP and FSD will be combined into a single SKU at time of purchase for all new orders, and I would guess that the cost may go up.

On the same Investor Call, he did say the cost to build/mfg AP3 vs. AP2.5 will be nearly the same...

I also got the impression that once everyone has 2018.42.2, that might be the last feature of EAP, and going forward he will start to get ready the first feature set of FSD in line with the AP3 hardware upgrade for those who have purchased FSD already.

For the wife's Model X, we purchased FSD a month ago. We were grandfathered in the original $4K. We purchased it from the My Tesla page for $5K, and then a week or two later, we got a $1K + tax refund on the same credit card, effectively making the FSD purchase $4K.

No idea if it's transferable as you need to make the purchase from your My Tesla page.

Did you have to do anything to confirm you would get the $1000 refund? Did it just come without any kind of communication to Tesla? I was considering buying it but was not clear on the process to get the $4000 price

Thanks

Did you have to do anything to confirm you would get the $1000 refund? Did it just come without any kind of communication to Tesla? I was considering buying it but was not clear on the process to get the $4000 price

Thanks

(1) Nope. Confirmed nothing. Just took a chance made the purchase in hopes that I would get the $1K back.
(2) It just arrived without notice. No email, nothing shown on the My Tesla account. Just one day, I saw a refund on the same credit card I used to make the purchase, which was the one I have on file with the wife's My Tesla account.