Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Upgrade Price reduced from $5K to $3K in MyTesla Page for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In two calls to Tesla customer service today each representative stated hardware, if needed, is not included in the $2,000 price to upgrade my June 2017 AP2 Model S 75 with EAP to full self driving. One rep further stated after consulting with a more senior programmer at Tesla that the intention is to write the programming in such a way that 2.0 and 2.5 hardware cars will bernerfit from some or all of the FSD programming, but that no promises can be made that at some point a hardware upgrade at my expense may be needed.

This would be a deal breaker for me. I have AP 2.0 and am bummed I don't have the dashcam feature. I don't know if just a software upgrade to FSD would give me the dashcam without new hardware. Elon has said HW3 is included. My experience with phone center employees is they never really know anything, but are just bodies to answer calls and flip through a list of common Q&As. I've got til Sunday night to decide, maybe there will be more news tonight with the Model Y unveiling.

Reactions: ironwaffle
Did you see the upgrade pop-up on your touchscreen yet? I'm beginning to get a bit concerned over here, TeslaFi still shows me as APF1 not APF2, and calling CS again (ugh) they seem to think I bought EAP (which I already had.)
Yes it did pop up on my screen. As others have said, I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you have the receipt saying you paid, you are good to go. If there comes a point where a feature is released for FSD and your car doesn't get it, that's the time to take it up. I wouldn't sweat the Tesla.fi thing at all, but that's just me.

I agree with the concerns over HW upgrades. When I hit the BUY button on my account, I'm then presenting with this screen. Which to me reminds, you get new software.

(still tempted to buy it though...)

upload_2019-3-15_12-6-55.png

• Helpful
Yes. I just received an email from Tesla Customer Support via the online support request. They confirmed that both HW2.0 and HW2.5 cars will get the new APE3.0 autopilot computer. They specifically stated that no sensors, radar, cameras, or other equipment will be upgraded.

Now that I have in writing that my 2.0 car will be retrofitted (at some future, distant point I'm sure), I'm going to plop down the $2k knowing prices are going back up Monday.

the pop up is caused by an automated job. There's nothing manual here. A bot logs into the car and issues a gateway configuration change and then the MCU displays that FSD has been unlocked (though no other user facing FSD features or changes actually exist beyond the pop up). If you never got the pop up, I'd call support and verify the change went to the right car.
Can you post redacted email?

Reactions: Flyguy
I emailed Tesla about my model s AP 2.0 and this is the response I got
"Hello,

Thank you for contacting Tesla! I am happy to try to address your questions. Based on the current information we have the purchase of FSD will include the V3 hardware. If there are any changes to this information it will be publicly announced.

Best Regards,

Dave | Tesla Support
https://www.tesla.com/support"

• Informative
I emailed Tesla about my model s AP 2.0 and this is the response I got
"Hello,

Thank you for contacting Tesla! I am happy to try to address your questions. Based on the current information we have the purchase of FSD will include the V3 hardware. If there are any changes to this information it will be publicly announced.

Best Regards,

Dave | Tesla Support
https://www.tesla.com/support"

This language clearly leaves them room to maneuver in the future. Nothing is guaranteed until it actually happens.

Have you guys read the last sentence of the FSD order window now? “Upgraded through over the air software”. No mention of “upgrade through hardware replacement if necessary”. If you have been around Tesla / Elon long enough you will know what this subtle change means and the possible ramifications are for FSD being hugely watered down.

View attachment 386976
That convinced me to hold off.

Have you guys read the last sentence of the FSD order window now? “Upgraded through over the air software”. No mention of “upgrade through hardware replacement if necessary”. If you have been around Tesla / Elon long enough you will know what this subtle change means and the possible ramifications are for FSD being hugely watered down.

View attachment 386976
That convinced me to hold off.

I think you guys are both reading too much into it. That is the language anyone gets if they buy it now (HW2 or HW 2.5).

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948
Why are people still confused about this? How much clearer can they be?

View attachment 387224
It's a trust issue. Tesla says alot of things especially regarding fsd. They seem to mention Hardware three everywhere except on their actual ordering page. They have created a lot of outs for themselves.

Any lawyers on the board care to chime in?