Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Upgrade Price reduced from $5K to $3K in MyTesla Page for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For that matter, insurance is as well. You may or may not get your money out of paying for insurance, but yet people don't balk at that?

Insurance is about purchasing a service with explicitly defined terms, not getting “your money out” of it. I smash my car, hurt myself or someone else or their property, insurance pays.

You can argue FSD is the same, and I wouldn’t necessarily disagree, although certainly less “explicitly defined”. My response to that is I don’t buy insurance from companies I don’t think can deliver either.

Red light camera recognition is well worth the 2k IMO. But seeing how I dont actually have it yet and purchased FSD I should shut my mouth.

Spoke with tech support the other day while following up on another issue and he said that when the HW3 computer is available and ready to be retrofitted to my HW2 vehicle. I will receive a service notification in my vehicle to bring it in.
Good to know. Really seems like they are going to honor the hw3 upgrade. Making me happy to hear these things. I did pay for the 2k upgrade but was hesitant to do so.

Do you think they will have another round of price drop to 2K?

Highly doubtful after all the outcry that came from the original discount. But if they ever need a quick/easy cash injection in the future maybe they'll pull that lever again.

I had declined FSD during the original purchase and was waiting for it to actually roll out before deciding whether to buy it for $4K, but decided to take a leap of faith and took the offered deal at $2K.

Seeing the progress they are making. No way will you ever be able to purchase FSD again for 2K. In my opinion, the current price is a steal of a deal. The possibilities are endless.

I'm sure Tesla will honor all FSD sales that have been promised and made. As they have promised. But highly doubt they will continue to sell it at the current cost when they actually see how much it's going to cost them too convert all HW2.5 & 2.0 vehicles. Not too mention the demand that's going to come with it.

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd and rnortman
Seeing the progress they are making. No way will you ever be able to purchase FSD again for 2K. In my opinion, the current price is a steal of a deal. The possibilities are endless.

I'm sure Tesla will honor all FSD sales that have been promised and made. As they have promised. But highly doubt they will continue to sell it at the current cost when they actually see how much it's going to cost them too convert all HW2.5 & 2.0 vehicles. Not too mention the demand that's going to come with it.

Relatively speaking, it's not going to cost them that much. If you think about it, the direct manufacturing cost of the board/computer may at most be a couple hundred dollars. From there, once you add freight and installation in, they may be looking at around $300-400 all in at cost. They charged (at the lowest) $2000 for FSD. They'll be in ok shape covering the retrofits.

Reactions: ghostrunner
Relatively speaking, it's not going to cost them that much. If you think about it, the direct manufacturing cost of the board/computer may at most be a couple hundred dollars. From there, once you add freight and installation in, they may be looking at around $300-400 all in at cost. They charged (at the lowest) $2000 for FSD. They'll be in ok shape covering the retrofits.
Seems a bit low for the computer. A high end graphics card will cost more than that.

Reactions: Ludalicious
Retail cost for sure, but when you’re having custom silicon made for you at big scale, I’m gonna guess the cost per unit isn’t far from what @ahkahn said

That doesn't mean anything. That's like saying Programs are only worth as much as the CD they are printed on.

Maybe in 5 years from now after they have competition and recouped their R&D time spent. But that could take years

I remember reading its a completely custom built unit. Nvidia high end cards are about $1000 and I know Teslas card is much more powerful. I bet it costs Tesla between 1k-1500 to manufacture. The 2k price tag was probably to cover cost of hardware and dealer swap out for the new hw3.

I remember reading its a completely custom built unit. Nvidia high end cards are about $1000 and I know Teslas card is much more powerful. I bet it costs Tesla between 1k-1500 to manufacture. The 2k price tag was probably to cover cost of hardware and dealer swap out for the new hw3.

Entirely possible, but I suggest the manufacturing cost savings by manufacturing somewhere around 250,000 of them for retrofit plus another commitment of new car volumes for so many years (maybe another 200,000/year) will get them into a decent economy of scale and reduce the manufacturing costs substantially.