Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My friend just notified me at about 9:15PM PT on 2/28 that he was able to purchase the FSD upgrade for his Model 3 (which he purchased in March '18) for $3,000 from his Tesla page. He sent me a screenshot and his car description on his page already shows "Full Self-Driving Capability" under "Options." At the time of purchase, he, like everyone else, was told that he could upgrade to FSD later for $4,000.

When I purchased my X in May '18 with EAP, I was also told that I could upgrade to FSD for $4,000. I logged into my Tesla account twice since my friend completed his upgrade purchase, but my page for my X is still showing $5,000 as the upgrade price.

I am really hoping that we S and X owners have the same opportunity to upgrade to FSD for $3,000 like Model 3 owners. It is making me a little nervous that 3 owners are already showing $3,000 for the upgrade price while mine is still showing $5,000.

Tesla has been updating all these stuff throughout the day. The $3k price did not go live until few hours ago (I've been checking for my 2 cars). Yes the X still shows $5k but it hopefully it will be updated sooner or later.

Reactions: PrGrPa
It’s definitely true. I have in as an EAP $3k upgrade on my account for M3D.

I am guessing from all I read that it has something to do with either what you paid (thats all over the place for last several months) and/or if you have HW2.5

Big question is, if you spend $3k on FSD upgrade (still little more than a few ambitious tweets) do you have to buy the HW3 when available? More importantly WILL it be available at all? No answers on this yet.

But the news cycle will swarm around Tesla as Elon strings them along for months. Greatest salesman ever.

I want to do FSD, but the risk of it being a poor value is real. I think they may be fishijg for “free” dollars from their early adopters right now and will “modify” expectations and sell another atory later. I am an early adopter for sure, but I don’t know if the promise of FSD is tantamount to placing $1,000 down on a car that didnt exist and then waiting for 2 years (I did :)

Plunking $3k down on something that may fall well short of expectations until they articulate and commit to a calue proposition —Im going to have to wait and see... show me a (new) video of this in test, not 3 year old screen shots! Show me and I’ll buy!

I just logged into my account and see my Model 3 can be upgraded to FSD for 3k. I really want to upgrade my Model X to FSD instead of the Model 3. I’m hoping they update the Model X to upgrade to FSD for 3k. I will purchase right away. I’m a believer in the technology beta or not. I drove my Model X from NJ to Chicago on Autopilot and it was the most relaxing and well rested drive I have ever taken. Elon, I have 3k ready to deposit into your account. Please update my Model X page:)

They just updated the pricing for my Model X. I purchased FSD for 3K. My Model X has 2.0 Hardware, so I’m happy to lock in this pricing now.
I'm in the exact same boat with 2.0 hardware that doesn't do dashcam. I suspected the X would get the 3k offer and I just jumped on it. I'm really hoping that it will also upgrade the MCU as well. My guess is they pretty much will have to in order to support the quicker responding AP system; but who knows for sure.

They will upgrade whatever your car needs to accomplish FSD at no cost from what I have heard once FSD is paid for.
They are quite specific what FSD is currently - NoA, Summon, Autopark (all can be done with HW2/2.5 now), light/stop sign, NoA on street. I wouldn’t be surprised Tesla announces that those FSD features don’t need HW3, which will be reserved for Enhanced FSD ;)

Reactions: PrGrPa and rjdoc74
I see what you did there. I just listened to Elon in the Ark podcast, and he was saying the old hardware would probably work with extensive software filling in the gaps because of the slower hw speed. The HW3 allows full speed without having software act as a crutch. He mentioned anyone that has paid for FSD will get the Hardware for free. It’s just easier to have everyone on HW3 from a software standpoint.

Def a great deal for us imo cbutters

The thing is that even if they offers free hardware upgrade with FSD, who knows how long you have to wait for the parts and install. My MX was delivered back in December 2017 and it had tow package on my due list. It is now March 2019 and the tow package is still back ordered LOL. The same with the M3 performance spoiler... I mean lets be optimistic about FSD... lets say it will be available in 2020. The line to install hardware to run it would be huge.... may not get it until after 2022.

Reactions: PrGrPa
Newest official update:

Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability

All customers who bought a Tesla before yesterday’s price decrease will be able to buy the Autopilot or Full Self-Driving capability for half of what those features would normally cost after initial purchase.

Autopilot, which enables automatic steering, accelerating and braking, normally costs $4,000 after delivery and Full Self-Driving normally costs $7,000 after delivery. Full Self-Driving capability includes Navigate on Autopilot, Advanced Summon, Auto Lane Change, Autopark and, later this year, will recognize and respond to traffic lights.

Any customer who bought a Tesla prior to this week’s price adjustment will be able to upgrade to Autopilot for $2,000 or Full Self-Driving capability for an additional $3,000. In other words, for a customer who previously hadn’t purchased Autopilot plus Full Self-Driving, they will soon be able to do so for $6,000 less than before. Customers who previously purchased Full Self-Driving will receive an invitation to Tesla’s Early Access Program (EAP). EAP members are invited to experience and provide feedback on new features and functionality before they are rolled out to other customers.

Beginning next month, any existing customer who wants to upgrade to Autopilot or Full Self-Driving capability will be able to do so with a one-click payment. There will be no need to call anyone, and it will be as easy as it was to order your car in the first place.

My Model X has EAP. I'd have to fork out extra $3k for FSD (or 1k less than my 2018 post-delivery price of 4k).

My Model 3 had nothing. I'd have to pay $5k ($2k+3k) for both AP+FSD. Seems like a better deal here.

Reactions: 1375mlm