Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This article describes why I'm quite upset with the FSD issue right now. Yes, I pre-purchased (2018) Model 3 FSD AND 2016 Model X FSD... Back in June of last year Tesla stated on their website that buying FSD after delivery would cost $3000 more. Some of us paid the $8000 up front to keep from having to pay the $11,000 later on. Some didn't. Now Tesla is offering those who didn't buy it ahead of time the opportunity to buy it for $3000 less than what the rest of us paid back then.

https://electrek.co/2019/03/04/teslas-autopilot-bait-and-switch/

This article describes why I'm quite upset with the FSD issue right now. Yes, I pre-purchased (2018) Model 3 FSD AND 2016 Model X FSD... Back in June of last year Tesla stated on their website that buying FSD after delivery would cost $3000 more. Some of us paid the $8000 up front to keep from having to pay the $11,000 later on. Some didn't. Now Tesla is offering those who didn't buy it ahead of time the opportunity to buy it for $3000 less than what the rest of us paid back then.

https://electrek.co/2019/03/04/teslas-autopilot-bait-and-switch/

If it makes you feel any better, I pointed out that “FSD” today is not “FSD” of yesterday. FSD today is essentially EAP.

Those with EAP, will pay an equivalent price to upgrade so your gripe is still valid. But part of the early access program could potentially give you a 6mo or more access to software releases.

This part is speculative, but what if as a member of the official testing team, you’re eligible to receive even more FSD software before regulatory approval?

If it makes you feel any better, I pointed out that “FSD” today is not “FSD” of yesterday. FSD today is essentially EAP.

Those with EAP, will pay an equivalent price to upgrade so your gripe is still valid. But part of the early access program could potentially give you a 6mo or more access to software releases.

This part is speculative, but what if as a member of the official testing team, you’re eligible to receive even more FSD software before regulatory approval?

If you go to the website right now, new owners will also pay the $8k pre-purchase. It's the fact that folks who took delivery in 2018 had a choice to buy FSD or not. If you elected to not buy FSD then you understood it was going to cost more in the future. Tesla clearly misrepresented the black and white wording on their ordering page and emails when they decided to offer a $3k discount to those who knowingly elected to NOT buy early.

This is a total turnoff to me from the brand as a consumer and common shareholder. I'm not a lawyer, but I do not understand how they can sell a product with a stipulation you lock in a saving, not release said product, then change the product to include features from a different product that was already purchased, then discount it to people who made a decision to NOT pre-pay and save.

I'm assuming that Elon offered the discount to try and curb the blow to the MSRP reduction (not arguing about that), but he inadvertently created this mess because it was not well thought out. That is the problem with Twitter and business. You are trying to hook some folks up and stop the blow back, but at the same time you forget that you could be lying to a subset of buyers who were promised a savings to trust Tesla.

I was planning on putting a deposit down on a Model Y and add a 3rd Tesla to the family. Because of the all shenanigans occurring I am unable to bring myself to do that when it's announced this week.

As for early access program; No Thank you! I do not have any interest in Alpha testing software with my family in either the 3 or X. I'm in the IT world and involved with a lot of newer technology. I see it day in and day out the challenges that happen with alpha releases to my customers.

As for what do I think Tesla should do? Well, if you're offering a $3k savings to folks who didn't spend money up front, then you need to offer the same refund to those of us who did... simple.

[QUOTE="HostileHarry, post: 3448349, member: 84830"]

As for early access program; No Thank you! I do not have any interest in Alpha testing software with my family in either the 3 or X. I'm in the IT world and involved with a lot of newer technology. I see it day in and day out the challenges that happen with alpha releases to my customers.

As for what do I think Tesla should do? Well, if you're offering a $3k savings to folks who didn't spend money up front, then you need to offer the same refund to those of us who did... simple.[/QUOTE]

As an FSD buyer (for 2017 MCU 1, AP 2.0 cars), I'd echo this and add one more thing.

Outside of Autopilot, Tesla seems to have no interest in releasing upgrades that are compatible with my cars.

Of course on Autopilot, why would I possibly be interested in alpha-testing something so central to my safety? And, even if I was, I'm pretty sure my spouse isn't.

I read an article in Forbes and found a sentence to be very significant “the more invested you are in your Tesla, the less you get”. Tesla should not underestimate the impact of loosing customer loyalty. Unless Tesla rectify the situation, I will do all what I can to discourage people from getting a Tesla.

Reactions: Wknapp0924
I read an article in Forbes and found a sentence to be very significant “the more invested you are in your Tesla, the less you get”. Tesla should not underestimate the impact of loosing customer loyalty. Unless Tesla rectify the situation, I will do all what I can to discourage people from getting a Tesla.

What? I can’t believe that anti-Tesla Forbes would write that! Why don’t they write about how other car companies send out OTA updates so their cars can get latest software features for free without having to buy a new car. even cars that are 6 years old...wait..they don’t!

Reactions: PrGrPa
What? I can’t believe that anti-Tesla Forbes would write that! Why don’t they write about how other car companies send out OTA updates so their cars can get latest software features for free without having to buy a new car. even cars that are 6 years old...wait..they don’t!
I do not care about Forbes but it is the sentence that is well describing the way I currently feel about Tesla and this is making me very angry that I placed my trust in a company that appears to be deceitful.

I was on the fence about this but now that Elon has confirmed all FSD buyers will also get the upcoming AP HW 3.0 upgrade, I'm in! :)

it is good time to save money for HW3 for FSD now. after 18th, it will be 4K if you have EAP

Elons says a lot of things, many of which never come to fruition, but our Tesla Purchase Contract clearly specifies "Terms relating to the purchase not expressly contained herein are not binding". So, who knows how it's going to play out

I want to buy this but there's no way I can see this being practical. NOA Highway is a stretch itself. But surface streets with train tracks that'll bust your tires, pot holes, man hole covers, school zones, constant road construction, some turn on red / no turn on red, fighting 4 way stop sign intersections, etc.... I'll just see myself constantly disengaging. Hope Im wrong tho but like I said, Highway NOA still makes me bail out of AP situationally often.

Elons says a lot of things, many of which never come to fruition, but our Tesla Purchase Contract clearly specifies "Terms relating to the purchase not expressly contained herein are not binding". So, who knows how it's going to play out

I agreed in general but if you look at the Elon past communication. Even it is mistake, he will correctly. Now he said twice the FSD include HW3 upgrade - one from quarterly earning call, one from the Twitter.

It is up to the people to buy now or wait out. IF you look at the FSD it was 3K with the car purchase and 4K after car purchase, now it is 2K. If you look at that sense, you are save unless you do not want to buy FSD

If I’m to believe part of my $2k purchase includes a upgraded computer, then Tesla needs put it in writing at time of purchase. It makes no sense to keep customer guessing.

Instead we are offered up loose conceptual language, purposely made vague. Nah, not playing that game.

WARNING TO THOSE WHO PURCHASED THE FSD UPGRADE ON YOUR 2.5 MX.

If your SC contacts you asking if you want to have your 3.0 upgrade installed, I suggest you say NO THANK YOU, NOT AT THIS TIME.

There are major problems with the firmware & software with this upgrade (at least according to my local SC in Paramus, NJ).

Since they swapped from 2.5 to 3.0 in my 2018 MX 100D built in May 2018, I have a constant beeping noise in the car which I was told is a firmware problem related to the parking sensors which they have not fixed after (2) visits so far. They told me it's a "known issue" and cannot be solved at this time, and none of my auto pilot features function either.

I have the constant error message "CRUISE CONTROL DISABLED". So if you want to shut off your AP and listen to a loud ringing in your car, then go ahead & do the upgrade, otherwise wait until they figure out the fix. It's a real mess, and knowing I would have these problems, I would not have authorized them to perform the upgrade.

• Disagree
Reactions: Hebert
Mine was done Wednesday December 5 - All fine so far. Couple hundred miles on AP.
No annoying chimes except for the seat belt when parked that appeared in a recent software release...
As Alexdav said YMMV.

All quiet,

Shawn

This is an important update to my previous post in this thread. The service center was able to push a another software update and it appears that all issues have been resolved. I now see traffic cones etc. and my parking sensor noise does not go off anymore.

I apologize for the above post but was very frustrated when the upgrade was not successful With the older software that was installed at the time.

Reactions: dogldogl