Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD upgraded today - MCU1 is crawling on its knees

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Greyworm, Excellent observation. Thank you for pointing out that your responsiveness is not suffering under FSD and it very likely is because you have the larger eMMC replaced by @TonyT. You've just uncovered another benefit of preemptive eMMC replacement. Good work. Excellent !!

@TonyT, I encourage you to add a benefits of early eMMC replacement to your first post. While it may be early to report, maybe you could add a comment asking anyone with please post if they stayed with MCU1 got their FSD hardware and are sluggish, then those that got newer eMMC and its not sluggish.

@Greyworm, Excellent observation. Thank you for pointing out that your responsiveness is not suffering under FSD and it very likely is because you have the larger eMMC replaced by @TonyT. You've just uncovered another benefit of preemptive eMMC replacement. Good work. Excellent !!

@TonyT, I encourage you to add a benefits of early eMMC replacement to your first post. While it may be early to report, maybe you could add a comment asking anyone with please post if they stayed with MCU1 got their FSD hardware and are sluggish, then those that got newer eMMC and its not sluggish.

Yes, we are still looking into this as we dont want to jump the gun. AFAIK we have 2 AP3 cars running our swisbit upgrades. The first was actually having issues once HW3 installed. After being contacted, we decide it would be a good idea to upgrade since it was kinda old anyway and not showing symptoms. I'm waiting for longer-term results before we make an announcement. However in the mean time, spot on.

Upgrade now, enjoy performance increase, reduce risk of failure, and possibly fix FSD issues on MCU1 cars.

Same here. Hoping that future software updates will improve, but most likely will shell out for the MCU upgrade before I have to start driving more as its pretty much not usable at this point.

This. This is what I don’t want . I don’t want to be forced into paying for something that I don’t want. I initially wanted the upgrade, however I found that The MCU 1 does show the driving visualizations (stop signs, traffic lights…etc). With that I didn’t see a need for MCU 2. My car is 2 years old and I don’t plan on replacing anytime time soon. I will spend $2,500 because I want to buy it. Not because I’m forced to spend $2,500. If Tesla does nothing in the next 2 years when my warranty is up, I will get rid of my car. Sad.

I don't feel that way. I was considering a new car this summer. And then I spent $2500 on the MCU2 upgrade and now it drives like a brand new car. Sure, sure, I still hear a rattle when I run over a Mini-Cooper, but it behaves like a new one. And it didn't cost a $40,000 difference. Aside, I don't trade, I buy, then sell. So, I figure, if I still want a newer one in a year or two, when I advertise mine as a MCU2 upgraded S, its going to be worth more to a buyer than the MCU1 just like it. I will get back part of what I invested to make it newer. Its all in how you look at it. Not, better, just different.

Just a contrasting experience here. I got the HW3 update in mid-May and maintained MCU1. I had wanted to get the infotainment update at the same time, but they said it was not available to me yet. I drove the car for 2 months in this state - HW3 with MCU1. I did not experience any increased problems with my MCU1 during this time. My only caveat is that my MCU1 was always buggy and always required frequent resets. They didn’t increase, though, during this time.

I got the MCU2 update mid-July. Like @Akikiki, I feel like I got a new car for only $2500. It has exceeded my expectations.

Reactions: Akikiki
One more data point - I recently upgraded my 2017 HW2 MUC1 100D to the HW3 computer (still HW2 cameras, of course). I did not notice a big difference in the performance of the MCU. It's slow - but this is usual behavior. I don't find it to be any slower than it was pre-HW3 FSD computer.

I don't plan to upgrade to MCU2 any time soon - I like my FM radio, and frankly, I don't require a fast experience with my MCU for most daily driving. I recently took a road trip, where it would take several minutes just to load the route (and would often route me to puzzling super charger locations - though that is not likely MCU1 related), and this was quite annoying. If I road tripped more, I would definitely upgrade. But for daily driving it suits my needs just fine.

One more data point - I recently upgraded my 2017 HW2 MUC1 100D to the HW3 computer (still HW2 cameras, of course). I did not notice a big difference in the performance of the MCU. It's slow - but this is usual behavior. I don't find it to be any slower than it was pre-HW3 FSD computer.

I don't plan to upgrade to MCU2 any time soon - I like my FM radio, and frankly, I don't require a fast experience with my MCU for most daily driving. I recently took a road trip, where it would take several minutes just to load the route (and would often route me to puzzling super charger locations - though that is not likely MCU1 related), and this was quite annoying. If I road tripped more, I would definitely upgrade. But for daily driving it suits my needs just fine.

2017 mcu1 will probably start failing more next year or 2. All the failed MCU1 we see have a 3000 write Hynix chip from the factory that last 2-10 years.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Advertise longevity of vehicles, hinder their abilities over time to force people to upgrade.
Which is still way cheaper than having to buy a new vehicle to stay current with the times and technology. When I bought my 3 and my X, I don't remember being told I wouldn't have to pay for something to make it a better vehicle but I've certainly gotten lots of new and cool things free. I'm still waiting for that first free over the air update that will improve ANYTHING on my wife's 2016 Subaru Outback. When has another car company upgraded an old computer board (i.e., HW3 upgrade) across the entire fleet FOR FREE?

2017 mcu1 will probably start failing more next year or 2. All the failed MCU1 we see have a 3000 write Hynix chip from the factory that last 2-10 years.
IIRC, I've read elsewhere that they've reduced the logging that causes these issues in pretty recent firmware. Assuming that is true, 2017 mcu1 failure rates may be significantly lower over time when compared with 2016 mcu1 failure rates.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Which is still way cheaper than having to buy a new vehicle to stay current with the times and technology. When I bought my 3 and my X, I don't remember being told I wouldn't have to pay for something to make it a better vehicle but I've certainly gotten lots of new and cool things free. I'm still waiting for that first free over the air update that will improve ANYTHING on my wife's 2016 Subaru Outback. When has another car company upgraded an old computer board (i.e., HW3 upgrade) across the entire fleet FOR FREE?
Not to counter your point (because it really doesn't), but the HW3 upgrade is neither across the fleet nor free. Both of those overgeneralizations ignore the fact that it is only installed on vehicles where FSD has been paid for.

Reactions: KentuckyX
Not to counter your point (because it really doesn't), but the HW3 upgrade is neither across the fleet nor free. Both of those overgeneralizations ignore the fact that it is only installed on vehicles where FSD has been paid for.
@mxnym, I don't mean to count your point either. I think we sometimes say "Free" when the items are actually "No additional out of pocket costs". When those of us that paid for FSD in '16-'18, we did not know later than the APE 2.0 was not going to be powerful enough for FSD. But instead of ignoring us, Elon made the announcement that APE 3.0 would be installed in any older 2.0 cars that paid for FSD. So, there was no additional out of pocket costs or it was Free for us.

Reactions: KentuckyX
IIRC, I've read elsewhere that they've reduced the logging that causes these issues in pretty recent firmware. Assuming that is true, 2017 mcu1 failure rates may be significantly lower over time when compared with 2016 mcu1 failure rates.

Yes and no..... Much more rare are the controller failures in the eMMC chip. When those go out the mcu also blacks.

Ask those on AP1

'16 AP3.0(FSD) MCU1 - I have had the upgrade with MCU1 for over a month and a 3200 mile road trip under my belt. The MCU1 lag with FSD chip is due to the dashcam in my experience. With the USB drive inserted in the port immediately lags the MCU regardless of it actively recording or not. It only needs to be inserted. When I remove the USB drive from the port all the lag goes away. In fact, the MCU acts as before the upgrade. So, if you are experiencing lag more than before, remove your usb drive. If a usb drive is not inserted, you must have some other hardware issue going on and should be covered under warranty. If you do not have a warranty, then you will shell out for the repair. I personally can live with the lag with dashcam enabled. With that being said, all current FSD functions, stop light and NOA, work great without any issues.

'16 AP3.0(FSD) MCU1 - I have had the upgrade with MCU1 for over a month and a 3200 mile road trip under my belt. The MCU1 lag with FSD chip is due to the dashcam in my experience. With the USB drive inserted in the port immediately lags the MCU regardless of it actively recording or not. It only needs to be inserted. When I remove the USB drive from the port all the lag goes away. In fact, the MCU acts as before the upgrade. So, if you are experiencing lag more than before, remove your usb drive. If a usb drive is not inserted, you must have some other hardware issue going on and should be covered under warranty. If you do not have a warranty, then you will shell out for the repair. I personally can live with the lag with dashcam enabled. With that being said, all current FSD functions, stop light and NOA, work great without any issues.
To add, this is only relevant to original AP2.0 vehicles.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Why would that be the case? Compute-wise, wouldn't AP2.5 vehicles with MCU1 getting upgraded to 3.0 HW end up exactly the same as AP2.0 vehicles getting upgraded to 3.0 HW.
The specs are slightly different. All 2.0 vehicles that received the FSD update with MCU1 are seeing the same issue with dashcam. 2.5 vehicles have always had dashcam and are not having the issue.