Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD upgrades going foward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

So I recently saw a thread on FW4 as well as bringing back radar in high definition. I bought my Model X in 2020 with full FSD when the tesla rep promised that the software was ready and all they needed to do was wait for the legislation to be passed by the end of 2020 for full self drive robotaxi. Yup, i was lied to, but at least I feel i got the car at the right time and saved money compared to prices now. If you ask me, the refresh is the legacy with a $45,000 ipad and ac seats.. . Ohh, they chopped the steering wheel in half! Still......I sat in one yesterday and its Cooool!

I have full self drive beta and after 6 months of playing around with it I've pretty much given up. Its only good for highway driving for long trips. Forget about city streets. But now with these announcements maybe theres new life, and that faster hardware may actually get this thing working properly.

So, as a purchaser of FSD, will I qualify for an hardware upgrade on my 2020 legacy model X? Will these hardware changes be able to be replaced in my car? IE. the FW4 and I guess radar and new HD cameras? My guess is maybe ill charged some cash but I was hoping that it is able to be done, as opposesed to nothing being upgraded which would basically leave my car off the FSD progress train

Rob

Last edited:
I am somewhat in the same boat with a 2018 MX MCU2, HW3 with paid FSD. Tesla promised it would work, and my understanding is if you paid for FSD they will have to upgrade/update any hardware make it work at their expense. For those without paid FSD they may try to make people pay for the hardware, but I have heard that people may have a case since Tesla has been stating that all cars built after a certain date will have the ability to have FSD with the current hardware.

After almost a year with the FSD Beta, I too rarely use it, and never with anyone in the car as it is too unpredictable.

Hi

So I recently saw a thread on FW4 as well as bringing back radar in high definition. I bought my Model X in 2020 with full FSD when the tesla rep promised that the software was ready and all they needed to do was wait for the legislation to be passed by the end of 2020 for full self drive robotaxi. Yup, i was lied to, but at least I feel i got the car at the right time and saved money compared to prices now. If you ask me, the refresh is nothing more than the legacy with a $45,000 ipad and ac seats....nothing more. Ohh, they chopped the steering wheel in half!

I have full self drive beta and after 6 months of playing around with it I've pretty much given up. Its only good for highway driving for long trips. Forget about city streets. But now with these announcements maybe theres new life, and that faster hardware may actually get this thing working properly.

So, as a purchaser of FSD, will I qualify for an hardware upgrade on my 2020 legacy model X? Will these hardware changes be able to be replaced in my car? IE. the FW4 and I guess radar and new HD cameras? My guess is maybe ill charged some cash but I was hoping that it is able to be done, as opposesed to nothing being upgraded which would basically leave my car off the FSD progress train

Rob
You said you were lied to once. What makes you think that you won't be lied again to multiple more times regarding robotaxi?

I haven't seen any fully paid FSD Tesla with MCU1 can drive FSD beta just yet because currently, they have to pay up for an MCU2 upgrade.

That will question whether we get a free upgrade to HW4 or not.

Once we pre-paid for FSD, Tesla should do everything they can in software and hardware to make sure we get that function and not charge us anything more (such as MCU2...)

If Tesla keeps nickel and dime us for being a pre-paid customer, we should learn the risk of pre-payment for a feature that doesn't exist yet.

I paid FSD twice for 2 different cars and I won't ever again until robotaxi is a reality.

Reactions: preilly44
If they sold you a product they have to make it work or do whatever upgrades to make it work for free......or it's fraud. It said right in the advertising "all hardware is FSD ready". If im not mistaken tesla has already upgraded the screen or hardware from older telsa models that couldn't even handle FSD beta a couple years ago?.....HW 2.5 to 3.0 etc...

If they sold you a product they have to make it work or do whatever upgrades to make it work for free......or it's fraud. It said right in the advertising "all hardware is FSD ready". If im not mistaken tesla has already upgraded the screen or hardware from older telsa models that couldn't even handle FSD beta a couple years ago?.....HW 2.5 to 3.0 etc...

If an MCU1 can run FSD beta, you would see lots of Youtube praising such a success with no additional fee!

Reactions: pilotSteve
I think that is why they raised the FSD price so much, to cover the free upgrades tesla knows it will eventually have to provide to legacy cars if FSD ever becomes useful...........doubt it.
I had this same thought. I bought it on my Model X…I just got it the other day but plan to use it as much as I can because that’s what will make it better. It does do some wonky stuff though.

The public shouldn't be the test bed to enhance their incomplete product. FSD is a product in development that isn't complete hiding being "pending legislation" to their own benefit. The name "Full Self Driving" is at minimum misleading. The company shouldn't be allowed to advertise this as such. It buts right-up against truth in advertising.

In fact I can't think of any other product/situation where this would be ok.

There's more accuracy to a bag of nacho cheese Doritos, at least there some cheese dust in it.