Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD V GM CRUISE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would magnets in the road collect metal debris? So how long before urban areas in every state will have robotaxis? Will urban areas that have very little public transit or even no public transit get robotaxis?
I can actually see a market for robotaxis in rural areas, perhaps more so. The geography and demand in those areas makes taxi services unfeasible but there are still people that can’t drive for various reasons. If you take the driver out of the mix it could make a big difference.

Reactions: DJT1
Reactions: 2101Guy
illogical opinions are simply illogical no matter what.

OH look another video of waymo driving driverless in SF, same locations where FSD Beta struggles in..
But ofcourse not at all comparable.
Uh huh. I'm very familiar with all of SF. It is geofenced to an area that is not congested. Let's see how it does around Market St downtown.

Oh, and here is the video not sped-up. Looks like it "struggles" too. Funny how speeding up these driving videos makes everything look so fluid...

Again, it really is not comparable, it is geofenced. And, the area it is limited to is not a congested part of the city.

Oh, and here is the video not sped-up. Looks like it "struggles" too. Funny how speeding up these driving videos makes everything look so fluid...

Again, it really is not comparable, it is geofenced. And, the area it is limited to is not a congested part of the city.

That's not "struggling", that is literally just waiting for a safe open space and turn to proceed.

Uh huh. I'm very familiar with all of SF. It is geofenced to an area that is not congested. Let's see how it does around Market St downtown.

I don't understand how you can watch that and think that geofencing is the difference that allows them to achieve the reliability necessary for driverless operation.

Reactions: Bladerskb
I don't understand how you can watch that and think that geofencing is the difference that allows them to achieve the reliability necessary for driverless operation.
It is just not a challenging area of SF, if it can handle downtown then that’s a different story.

Also, reliability is unknown. That’s a pretty beefy sensor platform with moving parts.

It is just not a challenging area of SF, if it can handle downtown then that’s a different story.

Also, reliability is unknown. That’s a pretty beefy sensor platform with moving parts.
Reliability is known, they report every single crash. Though I guess they probably haven't driven enough driverless miles yet to really know.
Cruise has expanded though they still don't cover downtown. They definitely test in all of San Francisco so they probably will eventually.
1656434142835.png

Reactions: DJT1 and 2101Guy
Reliability is known, they report every single crash. Though I guess they probably haven't driven enough driverless miles yet to really know.
Cruise has expanded though they still don't cover downtown. They definitely test in all of San Francisco so they probably will eventually.
View attachment 822170
Those are great maps. It will be truly impressive when a driverless system can reliably handle the mayhem of downtown with grid lock traffic, delivery trucks, double and triple parked cars, pedestrians running every which way, traffic intersections with weird angles, and then the trolley on top of all that.

It's interesting they also avoid the Marina district. Not really congested usually but lots of pedestrians and pets.

FSD Beta “struggles” in a similar way. It was put in quotes to look at the two as reacting similarly, although the Tesla is not geofenced.
No, FSD Beta runs into things, hits curbs, tries to run over people, tries to use the trolly track as drivable space, that is struggling. What you posted was Waymo waiting for a good time to proceed. That is a massive difference.

I will say I was in SF a couple of weeks ago and FSD Beta did great (no interventions) around Japantown, and USF. No jumping curbs, no running over people, no hitting green poles. My route went right through down town next to the sales force tower, but didn't bother to use it as I got close because too much of a traffic jam and the need to weave through lanes. The visualizations were very busy.

Reactions: Dewg
I will say I was in SF a couple of weeks ago and FSD Beta did great (no interventions) around Japantown, and USF. No jumping curbs, no running over people, no hitting green poles. My route went right through down town next to the sales force tower, but didn't bother to use it as I got close because too much of a traffic jam and the need to weave through lanes. The visualizations were very busy.
You must be mistaken, and in fact had a terrible drive, where you hit curbs, grazed pedestrians, jerked around corners, and slammed into green poles. That's how FSD Beta works, don't you know? /s

Typical revisionary history and continued goal shifting.

- At first its, "if its really autonomous why do they still have safety drivers."
Then safety driver was removed,
- Then the goal post was then moved to "why are rider under NDA and why can't anyone get a ride? Clearly they are hiding something."
NDA were removed and it was opened to the Public.
- Then the goal post was then moved to "Its just a suburb, not even a city or urban city. Why can't they go autonomous in a real city?"
Then Waymo goes autonomous in SF and Downtown Phoneix.
- Now its, "the area isn't congested" and "Let's see how it does around Market St downtown."

When Waymo and Cruise extend to all of SF by end of the year or early next year. You will make up another excuse.

Rinse and repeat

Looks like it "struggles" too.

Attempting to drive into a car, head on after just ~10 miles is called "struggling". Not waiting for the best opening before proceeding.
But for some reason, that logic is lost on you people.

@12 mins

Elon is actually logically consistent on this. There is no way Tesla will continue to sell cars to consumers when they have robotaxis with no geofence next year. Obviously once they meet the demand for the Tesla Robotaxi (100 million units?) then they will sell cars to consumers again. Though you also have to consider the demand for the autonomous Tesla Semi which would also have much higher margins than consumer vehicles.
Huh? Bro
FSD is not level 2, it is a level 5 system in training. Read the ISO levels then watch the video.

Cruise, even in consumer mode, will be useless to everyone but inner city commuters as it requires near daily Lidar mapping of the entire route.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but a valid opinion requires some knowledge
so you’re saying FSD is L5? WTF?!? FSD appears to only be striving for L3
Yes, Tesla. Pending extensive software validation and regulatory approval though.
ok cool. By the way, I have ocean beach front property for sell in Nevada for sell - pending massive earthquake that will split Cali from mainland.