Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD V11 Discussion - First Released 11/11/22 at 11:11PM - Maybe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(moderator note: Added maybe to the title. This may be an alpha or beta release, so “release” is relative. Stay tuned.)

We finally have confirmation of the release of FSD V11. This presumably is single stack; we’ll see, as the question was left unanswered. I guess it will still be called FSD Beta V11?

002905FC-FC4B-4346-9970-AF2BA0758CE4.jpeg

🤯 ( 🔥 )

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW, the thread is turning into the FSD Beta 10.69 driving thread.🙃

We need to come up with a beer bet for 11.x Worked out well for me on 10.69 (so far).

That should help fill up this thread, though technically that should be in the anticipation thread (I’m slightly sad I created this one but the title of the other was more for pre-release discussion was my thinking).

Do you ever get a chance to see the messages saying why it’s changing lanes? ...
I made a point to look yesterday at a couple of points on my commute:

- "Changing lanes to follow route" when moving out of the correct lane 0.3 miles before an upcoming turn
- something like "Moving into faster lane" when moving into a lane that ends in 100 ft (after several signs and road markings indicated the lane was ending)

Maybe we'll see some V11 videos from Chuck, et. al. by Thanksgiving?

Elon uses the word "widen" but like so much he says it lacks any context. Widen from what to what? At this point it is open to mean anything from a couple of more internal employees to all the people in the world. Sure hope we see it go to the influencers before T-day and hoping to see some Youtube videos this weekend.......but.....

Elon uses the word "widen" but like so much he says it lacks any context. Widen from what to what? At this point it is open to mean anything from a couple of more internal employees to all the people in the world. Sure hope we see it go to the influencers before T-day and hoping to see some Youtube videos this weekend.......but.....

If it was just to employees again, that would be disappointing. Not really worth tweeting about since the last announcement was also employee-only.

Has anyone used 69.2.4 on highway merges lately? I constantly stress test the merging behavior (in all sorts of traffic conditions) and am constantly impressed how it performs without any intervention whatsoever. It sometimes gets close to the adjacent car during the merge, but more in an assertive way (to show the car behind that "I'm squeezing in").

69.2.2 was much much worse with merging, as it often tried to rush to the front of the line and was too assertive, sometimes even drove into the shoulder... I disengaged many times for this behavior.

Edit: whoops, I guess this post should be in the 10.69 thread

Reactions: clydeiii and DanCar
It is …. If you bought them to upgrade or get new models (rather than because of problems with old cars).
My car, Model S, is my daily commuter / weekend warrior beater car. I drive 100+ miles a day weekdays and my car is the main weekend / travel car.

I have upgraded all of my Model S’, 2015 / 2017 / 2019 now 2021 when they had over 75k miles and still had reasonable resale value.

I am a full on fanboy but slowly became disheartened after pre-purchasing FSD on 3 of our cars and getting no -0- FSD resale value on the two S’. I am renting FSD this go round.

Do you guys think follow distance will go back to as low as 1 with this update? I haven't had a chance to use a legacy car with radar but I have a loaner model S and it's nice to have follow distance of 1 with the radar. Autopilot seems to be confident without too much jerkiness.

For context this car is on 2022.8.10.5 firmware... So pretty much ancient

Do you guys think follow distance will go back to as low as 1 with this update? I haven't had a chance to use a legacy car with radar but I have a loaner model S and it's nice to have follow distance of 1 with the radar. Autopilot seems to be confident without too much jerkiness.

For context this car is on 2022.8.10.5 firmware... So pretty much ancient
Unless they do something about it, the FSD stack doesn’t respect the follow distance settings (as far as I can tell). Non-FSD-beta code - who knows. I haven’t seen anything about version 2022.40.x offering this

I agree. I don’t know why everyone is excited for single stack. At best it will function the way NoA does now. Hopefully there won’t be a regression. That said, fsd beta is much improved, so I do have hope.
Merges, interchanges, and exit ramps can be pretty iffy with NoA. I’m hoping FSDb makes it seamless to allow freeway interchanges without disengaging. But I agree, really hope the single lane AP behavior doesn’t get worse.

My car, Model S, is my daily commuter / weekend warrior beater car. I drive 100+ miles a day weekdays and my car is the main weekend / travel car.

I have upgraded all of my Model S’, 2015 / 2017 / 2019 now 2021 when they had over 75k miles and still had reasonable resale value.

I am a full on fanboy but slowly became disheartened after pre-purchasing FSD on 3 of our cars and getting no -0- FSD resale value on the two S’. I am renting FSD this go round.
I’m on the 2 year/60,XXXmile replacement plan as well. I Will likely rent FSD when I’m due for a replacement as well.

• Love
Reactions: boonedocks
I agree. I don’t know why everyone is excited for single stack. At best it will function the way NoA does now. Hopefully there won’t be a regression. That said, fsd beta is much improved, so I do have hope.
[Debby Downer post] No doubt we all want and look forward to the v11 integrated stack. However here is a possible analogy of what we might get. We all have wished we could have 4680 cells in our cars. Tesla has hyped them through the roof and they seem like the holy grail of cylindrical Lit-Ion cells. They were going to make the Semi a reality and increase the range and lower the weight of the Model Y and then all others models because of their promised higher energy density. Well the tests are in and the 1st generation 4680 are disappointing and inferior to the 2170's and 1865's with a paltry 244Wh/kg. No doubt they will likely improve in energy density with development but if you bought a Model Y that has them we now know why you have less range and slower charging speeds with about the same weight and it's not software locked.

Unlike batteries at least with FSD Beta we will all get improvements as they are implemented. So we are not locked in. But this "first generation" of Beta on the highway could be a letdown and require a year or 2 to surpass legacy AP stack. Also remember AP1 was superior in may ways for nearly 2 years.

Hope I'm 100% completely wrong on this speculation but doesn't hurt to check our expectations a little.

Screenshot 2022-11-17 at 6.28.57 AM.png

Last edited:
Me personally, I'm excited because it signifies progress. The sooner everyone (or at least more people) are running this code, all the time, the faster it should improve. In theory, anyways.

[Debby Downer post] No doubt we all want and look forward to the v11 integrated stack. However here is a possible analogy of what we might get. We all have wished we could have 4680 cells in our cars. Tesla has hyped them through the roof and they seem like the holy grail of cylindrical Lit-Ion cells. They were going to make the Semi a reality and increase the range and lower the weight of the Model Y and then all others models because of their promised higher energy density. Well the tests are in and the 1st generation 4680 are disappointing and inferior to the 2170's and 1865's with a paltry 244Wh/kg. No doubt they will likely improve in energy density with development but if you bought a Model Y that has them we now know why you have less range and slower charging speeds with about the same weight and it's not software locked.

Unlike batteries at least with FSD Beta we will all get improvements as they are implemented. So we are not locked in. But this "first generation" of Beta on the highway could be a letdown and require a year or 2 to surpass legacy AP stack. Also remember AP1 was superior in may ways for nearly 2 years.

Hope I'm 100% completely wrong on this speculation but doesn't hurt to check our expectations a little.

View attachment 875480
Do you think Tesla knew or knows this when they said - and I’m paraphrasing here.. ‘most cars coming out of Austin by end of March (2022) will be 4680’

At best, single stack will have improvements over the old NOA. The old NOA takes a full five seconds to change lanes after the turn signal is activated. I have watched countless times as the car puts on the turn signal, then waits as another car comes up from behind and moves into the lane my car was going to move into. Or, while waiting the five seconds, the car loses speed to sit behind a slow moving vehicle that it plans to overtake. FSDb acts more human-like by changing lanes without undue delay.

The old NOA is very slow to accelerate when it overtakes other vehicles. Same goes for times when NOA clears a traffic backup and need to accelerate from a slow speed back to normal highway speed. FSDb does not suffer from this issue and quickly comes back up to normal speed.

In general, NOA is slow to react to slower traffic and generally will often slow to follow that traffic before it decides to change lanes. FSDb is more proactive about moving around slower traffic.

At best, single stack will have improvements over the old NOA. The old NOA takes a full five seconds to change lanes after the turn signal is activated. I have watched countless times as the car puts on the turn signal, then waits as another car comes up from behind and moves into the lane my car was going to move into. Or, while waiting the five seconds, the car loses speed to sit behind a slow moving vehicle that it plans to overtake. FSDb acts more human-like by changing lanes without undue delay.

The old NOA is very slow to accelerate when it overtakes other vehicles. Same goes for times when NOA clears a traffic backup and need to accelerate from a slow speed back to normal highway speed. FSDb does not suffer from this issue and quickly comes back up to normal speed.

In general, NOA is slow to react to slower traffic and generally will often slow to follow that traffic before it decides to change lanes. FSDb is more proactive about moving around slower traffic.
Do we know yet if single stack FSDb compared to NOA will still allow the required occupant to be able to initiate the request to change lanes with the single stalk? Or would that be a disengagement of FSDb at this point?

Do we know yet if single stack FSDb compared to NOA will still allow the required occupant to be able to initiate the request to change lanes with the single stalk? Or would that be a disengagement of FSDb at this point?
Can't you already do that with FSD? I swear you can... or maybe my memory is crap. Both are valid possibilities.

OR do you mean confirm with the stalk?

Reactions: VanFriscia
I'm excited because I hope it'll be even better. I think NoA stack is pretty solid, but it's clear the tech behind FDSb stack is far superior, even if the results aren't yet as solid. We'll see!

Reactions: Skateboardgolf