Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD V11 Discussion - First Released 11/11/22 at 11:11PM - Maybe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(moderator note: Added maybe to the title. This may be an alpha or beta release, so “release” is relative. Stay tuned.)

We finally have confirmation of the release of FSD V11. This presumably is single stack; we’ll see, as the question was left unanswered. I guess it will still be called FSD Beta V11?

002905FC-FC4B-4346-9970-AF2BA0758CE4.jpeg

🤯 ( 🔥 )

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't you already do that with FSD? I swear you can... or maybe my memory is crap. Both are valid possibilities.

OR do you mean confirm with the stalk?
I agree his question was confusing but you're right, you can def make FSDb change lanes by just flipping the turn indicator. Seems very unlikely they'll have the "confirm lane switch" option with single stack but who knows.

Reactions: VanFriscia
I agree. I don’t know why everyone is excited for single stack. At best it will function the way NoA does now. Hopefully there won’t be a regression. That said, fsd beta is much improved, so I do have hope.

I think many of us appreciate NoA in that it is a fairly CONSISTENT and predictable product. Most of us know what it will do well and when it may struggle (which is really infrequent which makes it a joy to use). And in straight ahead driving it is truly a way to sort of disconnect (albeit while paying attention) from the monotony of a 10-30 mile commute.

FSDb is practically a new experience every time you drive it. City streets can be much more dynamic so this may be a consequence of that but I'm really afraid that the consistency of highway driving is going to change drastically.

I remember in Elon's AI Day 2 closer when he mentioned he's on single stack already and that they were working through the kinks and verifying it will work across various weather and lighting situations so there is hope that the experience remains good. But I expect early 2023 we will all undergo some growing pains with single stack.

I agree his question was confusing but you're right, you can def make FSDb change lanes by just flipping the turn indicator. Seems very unlikely they'll have the "confirm lane switch" option with single stack but who knows.

I think they would have to have the option though, mostly because EU requires it for a lot more situations than the US. Or else they keep EU on the old stack for a while.

I think many of us appreciate NoA in that it is a fairly CONSISTENT and predictable product. Most of us know what it will do well and when it may struggle (which is really infrequent which makes it a joy to use). And in straight ahead driving it is truly a way to sort of disconnect (albeit while paying attention) from the monotony of a 10-30 mile commute.
Pure facts. I can zone out for hours on NoA in the right conditions. FSD is wildly inconsistent.

There’s an eyebrow turn in my neighborhood that FSD is super inconsistent with. Sometimes it’ll keep going and turn smoothly. Sometimes it’ll stop as if it’s an intersection. And sometimes the turn will be super jerky whether or not it chose to stop.

Example eyebrow turn attached since it can be difficult to google.

Attachments

• C1BDEA07-FE5F-4A68-9FEA-A65832A45ACD.png
    C1BDEA07-FE5F-4A68-9FEA-A65832A45ACD.png
    178.4 KB · Views: 94

FSDb is practically a new experience every time you drive it. City streets can be much more dynamic so this may be a consequence of that but I'm really afraid that the consistency of highway driving is going to change drastically.

I remember in Elon's AI Day 2 closer when he mentioned he's on single stack already and that they were working through the kinks and verifying it will work across various weather and lighting situations so there is hope that the experience remains good. But I expect early 2023 we will all undergo some growing pains with single stack.

Pure facts. I can zone out for hours on NoA in the right conditions. FSD is wildly inconsistent.

There’s an eyebrow turn in my neighborhood that FSD is super inconsistent with. Sometimes it’ll keep going and turn smoothly. Sometimes it’ll stop as if it’s an intersection. And sometimes the turn will be super jerky whether or not it chose to stop.

Example eyebrow turn attached since it can be difficult to google.
I generally agree - NoA is consistent while FSDb is, well...more exciting ;). I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if highway FSDb is at least slightly worse than current NoA on its first iteration. That being said, keep in mind that highway driving is, by its nature, an easier problem to tackle vs. city streets. After working through some initial kinks, I fully expect FSDb will eclipse NoA's performance.

I generally agree - NoA is consistent while FSDb is, well...more exciting ;). I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if highway FSDb is at least slightly worse than current NoA on its first iteration. That being said, keep in mind that highway driving is, by its nature, an easier problem to tackle vs. city streets. After working through some initial kinks, I fully expect FSDb will eclipse NoA's performance.
For sure. I think the base case might already be just as good. It’s all the edge cases that’ll likely need some iterative improvements.

Last week I was driving on Dallas North Tollway which goes through neighborhoods pretty closely, more so than an interstate highway would. NoA would occasionally freak out and want to stop because it saw the neighborhood stop signs too close to the highway and thought it was for us. I’m curious how FSD would react to that scenario.

Highway driving is generally less complex in traffic interactions but more challenging in other ways considering the speeds involved, there is much less margin for error compared to letting Autosteer on City Streets attempt a left turn at 5mph knowing you have plenty of latitude to intervene/disengage.

I don't see Tesla taking chances at highway speeds but who knows

Reactions: jabloomf1230
Looks like us NON-shiller/YouTubers will be waiting a while for V11

This is actually a somewhat hopeful sign for those of us still waiting to get FSDb, with good Safety Scores and running 2022.36.x software. Obviously, we all want V11, but for those of us with nothing at the moment, 10.69.3.1 would be great.

I know Elon had previously said that new FSDb testers would be added as new updates were released, and many of us were running an update that was past 2022.20.x when the last update was released, so we were precluded from getting into beta.

Now that 10.69.3 is running on 2022.36.x, perhaps we'll get into FSDb soon, and then we can wait for V11 to arrive with the rest of you who are already in the program. We'll see...

NoA is consistent because highway driving is more "consistent"...there's no reason (yet) to believe that FSD will be behave more erratically than NoA on highways.

Reactions: VanFriscia
You must be in California (where all the validation test data comes from). Here in Atlanta, lane selection since 10.12 has been HORRENDOUS. It will turn on to a new street, make one or two completely unnecessary lanes changes, then start working its way back to the proper lane to make a turn (which it often misses). Then in intersections with multiple turning lanes, it now wants to move to the inside turning lane, make the turn, but move to the outside lane through the turn, which scares the other drivers around me. I didn't have a lot of problems with lane selection before, but since 10.12 the crazy lane changes has really kept me from testing so much because I almost immediately have to disengage as soon as I engage it (outside of on the highways, which is, like I said, NoA). I am really waiting for the lane selection problems to be worked out before I start back driving all my "around-town" jaunts on FSDb.
I'm outside Columbus, Ohio.

I often curse the auto-wipers during mist as being a "California-tested feature" because when the auto wipers do not come on unless the whole windshield is covered in mist. Paradoxically, FSD will turn on the wipers whenever the sun (or an orange street light) shines in the camera.

Reactions: Paxsal
Looks like the majority of the changes are related to highway travel. That's interesting with do many city traffic issues yet to be addressed. But they had to go here sometime.

Looks like Chuck and the other early release folks need a regular freeway area which could be a bit trickier to demo incremental changes.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Seems crazy that we may have v11 dropping to influencers at the same time 69.3.1 is dropping to regulars. Also wonder if the influencers will get 69.3.1 for just a couple of days (assuming v11 starts rolling out next week)?

Get that we are soooooooo far behind and overdue an update but having 2 fundamentally different Beta updates at the same time is unprecedented.

Seems crazy that we may have v11 dropping to influencers at the same time 69.3.1 is dropping to regulars. Also wonder if the influencers will get 69.3.1 for just a couple of days (assuming v11 starts rolling out next week)?

Get that we are soooooooo far behind and overdue an update but having 2 fundamentally different Beta updates at the same time is unprecedented.
Everything is unprecedented until it happens for the first time.”