Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD v9.0 in Australia is just a con isn't it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly.

There's all this talk about v9.0 being late and all, and now it's finally released. Right? Not to us chum. I mean our money was released. When we bought the car and chose the FSD option. But the best we have so far are just YouTube clips of the few that get to test it in the US.

I am not meaning this thread to discuss the technicalities behind FSD. That is discussed countless times elsewhere. What I am concerned about here is that none in Australia seems to be holding Tesla's feet to the fire. I mean, what about us? Our money was just as good as the US's when they took it. So almost a decade later, are we supposed to celebrate some other idiots getting v9.0 FSD in the US with no hint or suggestion as to when we get to muck around with it?

I don't see how it could be any worse actually. We don't even have an anticipated date of release down this end of the globe. Looks like the beta testers will be up to v11.0 and we will be trading in our old Teslas and watching YouTube before we see any of the action.

Sux.

Tesla have always been this way. Autopilot was the same. Every major physical update is the same. We are a very small market and are treated accordingly.
You’re going to upset a couple of people with your post though.
Well it is genuinely upsetting. I mean I for one am really sad. You know when I first bought FSD many years ago, I used to Google search Tesla every night to see what progress had been made. Was I over-eager? I mean I thought I purchased something that was kind of imminent. I only took them at face value. I don't actually blame Tesla for the delay in developing the technology. I mean I think they oversold that aspect, sure, but I'm not a fool and can see for myself that that is difficult.

But what really ticks me off is that everyone buys FSD thinking that we will be kept in the loop with updates, but instead it gets released to a select few beta testers in another country. That is so annoying. I mean, we are entitled to play too aren't we? We paid for that. The so called beta testers have no more qualifications than us. So why aren't we Aussies included?

I don't ever think it will come to Australia. Driving on our roads every day there is just no way it can handle all the bad line markings, roadworks, weird intersections, roundabouts etc, etc.

If it does come in a limited form to qualify as being 'released' you will be getting alerts all the time to take over.

Reactions: Wol747
I don't ever think it will come to Australia. Driving on our roads every day there is just no way it can handle all the bad line markings, roadworks, weird intersections, roundabouts etc, etc.
US roads are just as bad.

Add four-way stops, right turn on red, unprotected lefts, turning lanes in the middle of multi-lane roads.

As well as snow and ice.

• Informative
Reactions: Rockford and Chuq
They've only built it for USA roads/rules. They only have 2000 (mostly tesla staff) beta testers.

They've not even built it for Canada yet, It takes 4 of the worlds most powerful computers all night to do a build before they can even test it etc before regulatory approval etc.

Dont know about Oz but NZ rules are pretty open and I'm not sure they are at all ready for anything like this

I think you are over estimating the ability of 78 year old half blind nana or 21 year old dave checking his phone...

the car can be looking 360 degrees and paying attention to everything at every moment.

The period of time where we couldnt do FSD has been quite long, likely in the future it would be relatively trivial (say in 2050 and on).

We're talking about the span of 10-30 years where its gone from impossible to difficult before it becomes trivial.

I think you are over estimating the ability of 78 year old half blind nana or 21 year old dave checking his phone...

the car can be looking 360 degrees and paying attention to everything at every moment.

The period of time where we couldnt do FSD has been quite long, likely in the future it would be relatively trivial (say in 2050 and on).

We're talking about the span of 10-30 years where its gone from impossible to difficult before it becomes trivial.
Definately not doubting the safety benefits of current automotive technology…designed by human brains. The time frame to autonomous driving for an entire fleet (as opposed to tesla’s FSD) is a complete unknown, particularly in Australia where people cannot even get themselves thinking EV yet with pollies that use change to score points against the opposition and claim ruined weekends.