Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD visualisations in the UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mullermn

Adapting to life without USS one hour at a time
Jun 25, 2022
Uk
I do not have FSD, and obviously none of us in the UK have the FSD beta. I do have the FSD visualisations enabled though, and I find it interesting trying to work out what the car is attempting to model and display and what it doesn't care about. Particularly with oncoming traffic (on a single carriageway) it's like it doesn't care that it's there, though sometimes if I'm at a junction with traffic passing in front of the car and turning to come past alongside then it will show the vehicles. On the other hand its love for wheelie bins is only second to its fascination with traffic cones.

Will these visualisations look different once the Beta-level software merges with the main release, and if so do we have an informed guesses on how? Or have the visualisation parts of the beta software already been merged in to 2022.44 along the way?

I do not have FSD, and obviously none of us in the UK have the FSD beta. I do have the FSD visualisations enabled though, and I find it interesting trying to work out what the car is attempting to model and display and what it doesn't care about. Particularly with oncoming traffic (on a single carriageway) it's like it doesn't care that it's there, though sometimes if I'm at a junction with traffic passing in front of the car and turning to come past alongside then it will show the vehicles. On the other hand its love for wheelie bins is only second to its fascination with traffic cones.

Will these visualisations look different once the Beta-level software merges with the main release, and if so do we have an informed guesses on how? Or have the visualisation parts of the beta software already been merged in to 2022.44 along the way?
The visualisations you see are only a small part of what the car actually sees and identifies. There is not room to show all.

There are a few sneak peeks (some subsequently removed) available in various places that seem to show single stack highways (highways is the version of autopilot that we use here). It is very much like the FSD city streets beta visualisation. My guess, once single stack is available here (finally looks to be imminent) that visualisations will be very much like the FSD city streets beta. Functionality will be quite different though as only FSD will ultimately offer city street autosteer functionality, at least it is advertised as that way. How much city streets functionality will spill over to regular highways or NoA is anyone's guess.

There are a few sneak peeks (some subsequently removed) available in various places that seem to show single stack highways (highways is the version of autopilot that we use here). It is very much like the FSD city streets beta visualisation. My guess, once single stack is available here (finally looks to be imminent) that visualisations will be very much like the FSD city streets beta. Functionality will be quite different though as only FSD will ultimately offer city street autosteer functionality, at least it is advertised as that way. How much city streets functionality will spill over to regular highways or NoA is anyone's guess.
From Tesla's past behaviour it seems they hate duplication and unnecessary complexity, so with any luck the non-FSD features will inherit the FSD equivalent function. To do otherwise would require at least some degree of extra code, more testing etc.

From Tesla's past behaviour it seems they hate duplication and unnecessary complexity, so with any luck the non-FSD features will inherit the FSD equivalent function. To do otherwise would require at least some degree of extra code, more testing etc.

They use a very large number of configurable parameters. So code is the same, but its behaviour is configurable. Check out some of Greens tweets from a year or so ago where he revealed all the configuration parameters for city streets beta.

not particularly useful story but I thought amusing.. I was driving through Headingley the other week, for people who know the area there is a student tradition called the "Otley Run" where students like to dress up in fancy dress and go on a pub crawl along the Otley Road towards the Uni. I was stopped at some traffic lights and a group of students were all crossing dressed up as traffic cones, quick look down as the visualisation and the car had picked up the students as traffic cones moving across the screen. Unfortunately the lights turned green before I could get my phone out to take a photo but it made me chuckle :)

… I find it interesting trying to work out what the car is attempting to model and display and what it doesn't care about. Particularly with oncoming traffic (on a single carriageway) it's like it doesn't care that it's there, though sometimes if I'm at a junction with traffic passing in front of the car and turning to come past alongside then it will show the vehicles. On the other hand its love for wheelie bins is only second to its fascination with traffic cones.
The visualisations used to show most of the oncoming traffic until Tesla Vison came in a recent update and the radar was turned off. After then, it has only shown oncoming traffic it thinks might represent a hazard, otherwise it doesn’t display it. I’m sure it knows it’s there, but doesn’t see the need to represent it on the screen unless it’s likely to be a problem.

Reactions: Mullermn
The visualisations used to show most of the oncoming traffic until Tesla Vison came in a recent update and the radar was turned off. After then, it has only shown oncoming traffic it thinks might represent a hazard, otherwise it doesn’t display it. I’m sure it knows it’s there, but doesn’t see the need to represent it on the screen unless it’s likely to be a problem.
That was the conclusion I’d come to too - only things it thinks are relevant are visualised.

Does make sense but from another perspective the display is kinda empty a lot of the time and it’d be a more effective sales pitch for the tech if it showed a bit more off.

Reactions: Burley

If and when you get FSD beta you will see more cars around you that you can imagine. I pulled into a train station parking lot and I must've seen over 50 cars all around me

If and when you get FSD beta you will see more cars around you that you can imagine

The thing that has impressed me most, watching FSD journey YouTubes, is when the car approaches an intersection (where it has priority). As soon as the cameras can see down both side roads every car in the road, or parked, gets a wireframe box. I would not be expecting "trouble" from either side and probably only alert to movement out of the corner of my eye. FSD is going to be a lot better at detecting a threat from either side

The thing I enjoy most about FSD visualisation in the UK is when the wheelie bins are out - clearly FSD is monitoring each and every one of them as a threat!

I find it interesting trying to work out what the car is attempting to model and display and what it doesn't care about

You might like Chuck Cooks FSD videos. One of which is a repeat test (every new FSD release) of turning left (USA) from a minor road onto a 3 lane dual carriageway, having to pull into central reservation, and taking care of anyone coming who is going to use the central reservation to either turn into his lane or, USA, make a U-turn.

He has camera shots out of windscreen, FSD's visualisation on the dashboard, AND a drone flying overhead so you can see what is actually going on :)

I wonder if Tesla will provide accompanying drones to solve FSD vision? 🤓

The thing I enjoy most about FSD visualisation in the UK is when the wheelie bins are out - clearly FSD is monitoring each and every one of them as a threat!
California programming. When I've been in LA, there's a day each week where drivers don't park on one side of their residential road. Wheelie bins must be lined up (so they become the edge of the road) to be auto tipped as the truck drives past.

Reactions: Mullermn
I assume that Tesla are really using us as a free source of data and somewhere in Freemont there is a unique supercomputer that is building up a global model of the life of wheelie bins. Quite what their evil plans entail hasn't been discovered yet, or what role traffic cones play, but perhaps the wheelie bins will eventually spring to life and devour us all. It's clear the whole car thing is just a front for something else. Something that doesn't need USS ...