Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD vs. EAP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does FSD do that EAP currently can't in an MX? Both are add-ons, but realistically can FSD become legal anytime soon (time for laws to catch up)?

Are any FSD features currently available? If so, curious to know what people who are using FSD think the difference is between it and EAP? FSD is 2000 more to add after delivery, but is it worth getting it pre-delivery when the laws haven't even been passed on FSD use yet?

I wouldn’t personally unless you have to throw round. I haven’t seen enough of a compelling reason.

Then again I didn’t get EAP either since I don’t drive long distances and I like controlling everything so I may be biased. I dint see what FSD gives you except a promise for something in the future

• Informative
Reactions: bayx
Then again I didn’t get EAP either since I don’t drive long distances and I like controlling everything so I may be biased. I dint see what FSD gives you except a promise for something in the future

I agreed with this...2 years ago and have never purchased FSD on my cars. Back then it was only a $1000 increase after the fact. There was no details and everything was subject to regulatory approval.

What does FSD do that EAP currently can't in an MX? Both are add-ons, but realistically can FSD become legal anytime soon (time for laws to catch up)?

Currently, nothing. Whether or not you have FSD and EAP or just EAP does not currently matter.

FSD is 2000 more to add after delivery, but is it worth getting it pre-delivery when the laws haven't even been passed on FSD use yet?

If I was buying today, and I was remotely interested in the features, then I would actually recommend the other way. $2000 is a decent increase. Plus, I believe Tesla is going to start offering features that seperate FSD. It still won't be true FSD and I think that part is a ways off; but we're starting to see differences like this:

Autopilot 3.0 - I would take a year timeline with a grain of salt, but I wouldn't be surprised if you started seeing more little things that aren't subject to regulatory approval. Simply because they've taken FSD money for 2 years now and they need to start showing something if they want to be able to keep selling it for a good amount.

• Informative
Reactions: bayx
Elon has hinted that Tesla will soon start rolling out the first features of FSD. I have trouble seeing what they could be. I hope they won't stop developing EAP to instead put all new features in FSD... I ordered mine without FSD, but might still add it, if we soon learn what Elon was talking about.

Are any FSD features currently available? If so, curious to know what people who are using FSD think the difference is between it and EAP? FSD is 2000 more to add after delivery, but is it worth getting it pre-delivery when the laws haven't even been passed on FSD use yet?

As of today, FSD adds nothing to a car that has eAP. That's actually supposed to change in the next month with the release of firmware 9.0 according to Elon.

I doubt any state will allow the car to go on public roads with no one in the driver's seat in the next few years, but that's not the same as FSD providing no value to drivers in that time.

Ultimately, if it's something you'd like the car to do and your budget can handle it, I'd say buy it. Then you'll get the wonderful adventure of waking up to the car doing new things every few months...

From a hardware standpoint, EAP is limited to 4 cameras. Activating FSD makes the additional 4 cameras available to the AP software.

It's likely the FSD feature(s) added in Version 9.0 will be using the additional cameras, while still operating in "driver assist" mode with the steering wheel nag.

I think they would have to reduce the cost of FSD once it is rolled out or in a couple of years since they will need more data from the fleet and not everyone would want to spend 5K (or 4K) for it. They may actually get more M3 owners to buy FSD if they reduce the cost!

• Disagree
Reactions: UncaNed
I think they would have to reduce the cost of FSD once it is rolled out or in a couple of years since they will need more data from the fleet and not everyone would want to spend 5K (or 4K) for it. They may actually get more M3 owners to buy FSD if they reduce the cost!

I'm expecting the opposite. If they get approval for full driverless operation, I think the price will go up, because the value to the end user will be far more than $3k.

On the freeway, it seems EAP is not too far from FSD. It already has some of the lane info when freeways intersected. So really all it has to do is integrate auto steer, TACC, lane change, speed limit control and GPS location. But then do you really need FSD on the freeway? It seems like it does not offer much over the existing EAP. And for local streets, I think if FSD actually works, it would drive the car extra slow. What happened when there is a bicyclist way out in the middle of the street? Would it try to cross the opposite lane to pass him or just follow him at 20 mph? It just seems quite difficult for it to work on local streets.

From what I understood, all Teslas are constantly collecting data by being in 'ghost' mode, even if not FSD nor EAP is active. This is one of the major advantage Tesla has over the competition.

Reactions: Kacey Green
On the freeway, it seems EAP is not too far from FSD. It already has some of the lane info when freeways intersected. So really all it has to do is integrate auto steer, TACC, lane change, speed limit control and GPS location. But then do you really need FSD on the freeway? It seems like it does not offer much over the existing EAP. And for local streets, I think if FSD actually works, it would drive the car extra slow. What happened when there is a bicyclist way out in the middle of the street? Would it try to cross the opposite lane to pass him or just follow him at 20 mph? It just seems quite difficult for it to work on local streets.

This is true. I think local streets will be challenging for FSD to navigate. I was using adaptive cruise control in a 40 zone and the car stopped suddenly with a loud warning. There were cars parked on the right side, a truck in front and another car turning right at the intersection, but not sure why it slammed the breaks! Luckily, no one was behind me, would have gotten rear ended (2nd day of ownership itself), which would have been painful!:eek:

And learn how to handle road debris, potholes, and deer. Figure out when it'll need help several seconds ahead.

eAP is good at staying in the lane, but there's a whole lot of contingency handling it doesn't have now that you need for level 3 driving, let alone level 4.

Reactions: Kacey Green
I have a 2015 model S. When I purchased the car there weren’t any autopilot features, only promises to add the capability in the future. Then as part of one software release we got most of level one autopilot. It was amazing and very scary at first. Many posted that it would be recalled because it was going cause untold crashes. It didn’t and instead it was improved in subsequent releases. I would not be surprised if history repeats itself and we will be surprised by the capability of the first release of FSD.

Reactions: Bogobec
My most powerful motivator tipping the scales to purchase FSD is financing uncle Elon's steady flow of amazing innovations. I'm not rich, never thought I'd spend even 1/3 what my Model X cost on a mere car, let alone $10,000 on a software package... but I consider it a moral duty to help make the world a better place, to help, you know, "accelerate the transition..." -for our living Thomas Edison.

Also... I'm amazed how many owners claim to regularly use "breaks" to slow their cars down in these forums.

-X75D Delivered March 2018 trouble free for all 4,400 miles so far.

Nothing yet.