Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD vs FSD beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I tried to look this up but could not find an answer. Just got an M3 with FSD on it. If I don't hit "Request FSD beta" will I still be able to use FSD or no?
Will I have to go through the whole Beta safety score first. I don't care about the beta portion but would I still be able to use FSD without it?

Thanks for any good advice!

Hello,
I tried to look this up but could not find an answer. Just got an M3 with FSD on it. If I don't hit "Request FSD beta" will I still be able to use FSD or no?
Will I have to go through the whole Beta safety score first. I don't care about the beta portion but would I still be able to use FSD without it?

Thanks for any good advice!

FSD and FSD Beta are two different things. If you purchased FSD, you can use FSD. You will have all the FSD features listed on the website minus the "autosteer on city streets" that has not been publicly released yet. So with FSD, you will get auto lane change, NOA, auto park, smart summon etc... You don't need to hit "request FSD Beta". You only hit "request FSD Beta" if you want to gain access to FSD Beta. Basically, FSD Beta gives you access to the beta version of the "autosteer on city streets" feature that is listed on the website as coming soon. I would add that you will also get "autosteer on city streets" no matter what since you purchased FSD. Without requesting FSD Beta, you will get it when Tesla releases it publicly. FSD Beta just let's you have it sooner, when it is still "beta".

Last edited:
N00b here. I have a one month old Yankee class and want to know when I can use FSD? My score is 96. I paid for FSD. I signed up for Beta. When do I get either?
Patience grasshopper. 96 is a sad, pathetic score in Tesla’s testing evaluation process, though I’m certain they’re happy about your FSD payment. To my knowledge, 97’s are still not included in Beta, and 98’s have asked about when they will be included. I haven’t kept up (opted out after my stunning drop from 100 to 92), but I don’t think you need worry about getting the Beta anytime soon.

That said, there are several ways to fool the scoring system, detailed in other threads, either on a drive-by-drive basis, or altogether by opting out and then back in again after a period of “cleansing.”

Gold luck, either way.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Patience grasshopper. 96 is a sad, pathetic score in Tesla’s testing evaluation process, though I’m certain they’re happy about your FSD payment. To my knowledge, 97’s are still not included in Beta, and 98’s have asked about when they will be included. I haven’t kept up (opted out after my stunning drop from 100 to 92), but I don’t think you need worry about getting the Beta anytime soon.
I got FSD Beta 10.8 on Christmas morning 2021 with a safety score of 97. As far as I know, no additional beta testers have been added since 10.8 of any score.

My advice for a good score is drive responsibly and TURN OFF AUTOPILOT; after I did every drive I did was 100, and brought up my average to 97 just in time.

Reactions: Dcam
There is a lot of confusion between various things:
  1. FSD: A future full self-driving system which is promised to be delivered at an unspecified date. It does not yet exist.
  2. FSD Add-on: A feature package you can buy or rent for your Tesla. It includes a variety of extra features related to Autopilot, such as navigate on autopilot and smart park, as well as some less useful functions. It also includes the promise that you will get FSD when it releases. If you have an older car you get a computer upgrade. Finally, you may qualify to participate in "FSD-Beta" only if you have this add-on. Currently $12,000 or $200/month, though some who bought EAP got it for as little as $2,000 extra.
  3. FSD Beta: A select set of purchasers of the add-on can qualify (through a low safety score, at least at first) to turn on a very, very rough prototype of FSD, described as "autopilot on city streets." The prototype requires constant supervision and interventions, vastly more than Autopilot needs. The experience of using it as a tester is harrowing, most report, not really a driver assist tool, so only get this if you want to experiment. While called a beta it is still a very long distance from beta level software.

is this from experience or your best guess? I do love owning the stock but with your example why would anyone even buy the car, just buy the stock :)
Experience. TSLA pricing is available for any date or period you choose. Very easy to see the appreciation from one date to another so no guesswork there. But I’m confused by your question: the stock is part of an investment strategy, the car gets you some EV transportation. Different rationales for both to my thinking. The car can also be ordered with or without FSD which is the topic at hand, and at least in my case, I wish I had taken the money paid for FSD and bought more of the stock instead. That was my only point. Still love the rest of the car’s transportation aspects, well, except for the whole V11 playground update.

Reactions: Iain
Which feature rocks the most, if you had to pick one?
Navigate on Autopilot is by far the most useful feature in the Full Self-Driving Capability package. It removes a lot of stress on long trips - keeps your speed down (more range and less tickets) and you aren't stiff and tired when done. I occasionally use Summon (not "Smart Summon") to move my car in and out of my garage which is also my shop, especially when I am covered in paint, mud, drywall dust, etc. Auto Lane Change is nice when not on Navigate on Autopilot but really should just be an Autopilot feature, IMO. The rest are pretty much parlor tricks that have no real value as driver-assist features, IMO.

To add my 2 cents to the OP, yes all the terminology is confusing, and it's made even more confusing by all of the interpretations from Elon, the media, and other posters here being different. My advice is to ignore conventional meanings of words like "self-driving" and "beta" and just accept the explanation from Tesla's website, the owner's manual, and the on-screen displays for what everything is. Using this, here's my take:

"Full Self-Driving Capability" is a technology package add-on for the car that provides a number of driver assist features. It is available at time of purchase, as a later-purchased add-on, and as a monthly subscription. It includes the following features, according to the website:
  • Navigate on Autopilot (Beta): Actively guides your car from a highway’s on-ramp to off-ramp, including suggesting lane changes, navigating interchanges, automatically engaging the turn signal and taking the correct exit
  • Auto Lane Change: Assists in moving to an adjacent lane on the highway when Autosteer is engaged
  • Autopark: Helps automatically parallel or perpendicular park your car, with a single touch
  • Summon: Moves your car in and out of a tight space using the mobile app or key
  • Smart Summon: Your car will navigate more complex environments and parking spaces, maneuvering around objects as necessary to come find you in a parking lot.
  • Traffic and Stop Sign Control (Beta): Identifies stop signs and traffic lights and automatically slows your car to a stop on approach, with your active supervision
Note that several of these features are listed as "Beta." Again, accept this as an indication that Tesla is actively working on the functionality and it may not be "feature complete," but they are not running a conventional beta test on these features as one familiar with the term might expect - these are production features in the Full Self-Driving Capability package.

In addition, Full Self-Driving Capability package includes a feature that is not yet available: Autosteer on City Streets. Autosteer on City Streets provides L2 (driver supervised) navigation of surface streets and operates when Autopilot is engaged on non-limited access highways (with the Navigate on Autopilot taking over on limited-access highways), and includes the capability to navigate through intersections, including turns and stops, along with other general surface street driving capability. This feature is "Coming Soon" or "Upcoming," depending on which page you view.

"FSD Beta" is an early access program for invited drivers to utilize the Autosteer on City Streets feature. Folks opting into the "FSD Beta" program get different firmware versions that include the Autosteer on City Streets feature. Again, while the program is invitation only and there is a mechanism for feedback, it is still not quite run like a "beta testing" program in the conventional sense, despite the name. You have to have purchased or be subscribed to the Full Self-Driving Capability package in order to be invited to participation in the FSD Beta program.

Last edited:
"Full Self-Driving Capability" is a technology package add-on for the car that provides a number of driver assist features. It is available at time of purchase, as a later-purchased add-on, and as a monthly subscription. It includes the following features, according to the website:
  • Navigate on Autopilot (Beta): Actively guides your car from a highway’s on-ramp to off-ramp, including suggesting lane changes, navigating interchanges, automatically engaging the turn signal and taking the correct exit
  • Auto Lane Change: Assists in moving to an adjacent lane on the highway when Autosteer is engaged
  • Autopark: Helps automatically parallel or perpendicular park your car, with a single touch
  • Summon: Moves your car in and out of a tight space using the mobile app or key
  • Smart Summon: Your car will navigate more complex environments and parking spaces, maneuvering around objects as necessary to come find you in a parking lot.
  • Traffic and Stop Sign Control (Beta): Identifies stop signs and traffic lights and automatically slows your car to a stop on approach, with your active supervision
I have to say that I barely use any of them and would not pay significant money for them. I use Autopark once or twice a month (by GF likes it more) but having "birds eye view camera" like many cars have would actually be preferable to me and faster. I don't trust navigate on autopilot to move from highway to highway and do merges, but I do use auto lane change, that seems to actually work. But features like Autopark are not that expensive in other cars (though you usually can't buy them as one-off features.) I don't see using Summon -- if a parking space is so tiny as to need it, then you would block the other cars next to you. I think a couple of times in a few years I have seen a situation where I considered it. Smart summon is not yet functional.

It's not clear to me yet if a working autopilot on city streets would be a useful product to me. To be useful, it has to make driving more pleasant. On highways, that's doable because the job is so simple "stay in the lane" and I can focus on other things. On streets, I have to always be worried about what it's gong to do at any moment as it's not clearly predictable and changes can be sudden, turns sharp. But I won't make a complete declaration that a monitored city street system is always unnerving, but it could be.

So no, the value for me (only $2,000) was the computer and to play in the game of seeing what Tesla could do some year about actual real true FSD, if anything, and because it's part of my job to study this technology.

Which feature rocks the most, if you had to pick one?
To each its own. If you don't like a tesla or its features don't buy it or more eloquently put by others buy the stock.

I LOVE the car no matter what and I won't bash any of its features. I spent the money on its technology and for me works since I'm an optimistic person and truly believe in the technology. Otherwise, I would be back owning a diesel car or a VHS player.

Reactions: Dewg and Iain
To each its own. If you don't like a tesla or its features don't buy it or more eloquently put by others buy the stock.

I LOVE the car no matter what and I won't bash any of its features. I spent the money on its technology and for me works since I'm an optimistic person and truly believe in the technology. Otherwise, I would be back owning a diesel car or a VHS player.
I love my car too, why do you think I have two lol. I don’t know why you got defensive.