Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD vs Stopped School Bus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I turned FSD on behind a stopped school bus and it sure seemed like it was NOT going to stop at all. I would have loved to let it keep going longer, but...
From the screen, it doesn't seem to recognize the two different stop signs or that it's a school bus and just wants to go around it. The stop signs are not the official size, so I get it, but they really need to recognize this scenario better.
Video here -

Correct, I don't think it recognizes those objects yet. You'll need to take over and disengage when navigating around school buses. You'll also need to slow down when in school zones with kids present, as FSD won't yet read the limit sign or detect when children are around.

Reactions: drtimhill
So I turned FSD on behind a stopped school bus and it sure seemed like it was NOT going to stop at all. I would have loved to let it keep going longer, but...
From the screen, it doesn't seem to recognize the two different stop signs or that it's a school bus and just wants to go around it. The stop signs are not the official size, so I get it, but they really need to recognize this scenario better.
Video here -
This is a well known limitation along with not handling school zone signs. IMO both need to be working before wide scale FSD release.

I’m not sure why this scenario is anything significant. I’ve had plenty of zero intervention drives, and I’ve had plenty of drives with interventions necessary. It’s pretty clear from Tesla FSD beta communications and from experience that it doesn’t handle all situations.

Reactions: orangespoon
I’m not sure why this scenario is anything significant. I’ve had plenty of zero intervention drives, and I’ve had plenty of drives with interventions necessary. It’s pretty clear from Tesla FSD beta communications and from experience that it doesn’t handle all situations.
Once you open FSD up to everyone lack of support for school zones and school buses will definitely get the attention of regulators and the media should there be an accident. Especially if it's clear Tesla knew about the limitation and didn't tell new FSD users about it.

Elon Musk: "The Full Self-Driving Beta at this point can take you with zero intervention across the Bay Area from San Jose to Marin through complex traffic. It’s really quite sophisticated."

Im guessing this meant assuming no school buses were on the road?
Or any merging traffic.

Yesterday my Model 3 would not let a Tesla Model S merge into the freeway as I was cruising in the right most lane. Had to accelerate manually to avoid a side swipe. The Model S driver was suitably pissed, and ended up passing me very fast to get in front of me. We both were taking the next off ramp. 😏

Reactions: 2101Guy
Or any merging traffic.

Yesterday my Model 3 would not let a Tesla Model S merge into the freeway as I was cruising in the right most lane. Had to accelerate manually to avoid a side swipe. The Model S driver was suitably pissed, and ended up passing me very fast to get in front of me. We both were taking the next off ramp. 😏
Shouldn't the Model S have adjusted their speed to account for cars in the right most lane as he tried to merge? Did you notice if he was even paying attention to your car as he merged? And I don't mean by only using the mirror but actually looking. Thats not to say FSD shouldn't have let him in but he sounds like he had no right to be pissed.

Shouldn't the Model S have adjusted their speed to account for cars in the right most lane as he tried to merge? Did you notice if he was even paying attention to your car as he merged? And I don't mean by only using the mirror but actually looking. Thats not to say FSD shouldn't have let him in but he sounds like he had no right to be pissed.
I could ask the same thing of EAP. Why did it not notice the car? Why is it always that we are apologizing for EAP’s lack of awareness? It has so many cameras monitoring the surroundings.

Yet it cannot drive defensively to let a merging vehicle merge.

As to this, the blather from Elon that FSD is currently able to drive with no instructions, blah blah blah.

Reactions: sjg98
Once you open FSD up to everyone lack of support for school zones and school buses will definitely get the attention of regulators and the media should there be an accident. Especially if it's clear Tesla knew about the limitation and didn't tell new FSD users about it.
But this depends upon its designation .. if it was L4/L5 then yes, this would be a problem, but L2 is driver assist .. the driver is expected to take over in any situation the car cannot handle. My guess is that once it goes on general release you will see a HUGE list of exceptions that the car cannot handle by itself (lawyer talk).

I could ask the same thing of EAP. Why did it not notice the car? Why is it always that we are apologizing for EAP’s lack of awareness? It has so many cameras monitoring the surroundings.

Yet it cannot drive defensively to let a merging vehicle merge.

As to this, the blather from Elon that FSD is currently able to drive with no instructions, blah blah blah.
Agree which is why I included:
"Thats not to say FSD shouldn't have let him in but he sounds like he had no right to be pissed." A poor driving behavior are drivers who when merging on the highway don't look properly and assume they can just barge their way onto the highway. Not excusing FSD but the driver had no right to be "pissed" when they were equally at fault.

Can FSD be "officially" used on street roads?I had the impression that FSD was currently designed to be used only on Freeways, except for the "Beta" testers.

Of course it can. There are not many freeways with stop lights/signs. Tesla used to limit AP to freeways only so the functionality exists, but those days are long gone.

Agree which is why I included:
"Thats not to say FSD shouldn't have let him in but he sounds like he had no right to be pissed." A poor driving behavior are drivers who when merging on the highway don't look properly and assume they can just barge their way onto the highway. Not excusing FSD but the driver had no right to be "pissed" when they were equally at fault.
Lots of situations where you’d think the other driver should not get upset, but they do..

I’m sorry to have been terse with you earlier.