Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Warning Sticker/Magnet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sleepydoc

Aug 2, 2020
Minneapolis
I've seen people mention stickers/magnets warning other drivers that they are a FSD beta tester and the car may behave erratically in a few threads. I didn't really find any posts listing sources so I did some searching and fund the following options. Does anyone have any other sources? There are plenty of plain "student driver" magnets but they don't really accurately convey the message (plus people will assume a solo driver isn't a student anyway.)

I've seen people mention stickers/magnets warning other drivers that they are a FSD beta tester and the car may behave erratically in a few threads.

Seems like a solution in search of a problem, since no one should ever know you're testing FSDb (b). It should be essentially indistinguishable from you driving, from outside the vehicle.

The car should DEFINITELY not behave erratically. That would be bad, and inconsiderate to other road users.

Always be disengaging.

Seems like a solution in search of a problem, since no one should ever know you're testing FSDb (b). It should be essentially indistinguishable from you driving, from outside the vehicle.

The car should DEFINITELY not behave erratically. That would be bad, and inconsiderate to other road users.

Always be disengaging.
I agree that's the goal, but I got the stickers for the people behind me to hopefully back off a little in case there is phantom braking, or the car takes a little extra time making a right turn. I try to not inconvenience those around me, but I also want them to know what's in front of them.

Reactions: VanFriscia
or the car takes a little extra time making a right turn.
I always just override if the car is taking longer to make the turn than I would (or use the accelerator if it works to do so, which it often does). Then I click the camera icon immediately.

It makes no sense to make people wait because you're testing the beta feature; it doesn't provide any value so it's a loss to everyone.

hopefully back off a little in case there is phantom braking
If someone is following too closely I disengage, and resolve the situation. A very brief flash of brake lights, followed by rapid acceleration back to the correct speed, isn't likely going to inconvenience anyone, which most instances of phantom braking will look like from outside the vehicle (most instances result in less than a 5mph change in velocity anyway).

Last edited:
I always just override if the car is taking longer to make the turn than I would (or use the accelerator if it works to do so, which it often does). Then I click the camera icon immediately.

It makes no sense to make people wait because you're testing the beta feature; it doesn't provide any value so it's a loss to everyone.

If someone is following too closely I disengage, and resolve the situation. A very brief flash of brake lights, followed by rapid acceleration back to the correct speed, isn't likely going to inconvenience anyone, which most instances of phantom braking will look like from outside the vehicle (most instances result in less than a 5mph change in velocity anyway).
Again, I agree. Doesn't hurt to let people know around me. You don't have to put any notices on your car. 🙂

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Although I prefer to test without such signs so that the car deals with 'normal' traffic, for those who do wish a placard, I suggest verbage that any driverwill understand. Terms like robotaxi and FSD will not be as effective as something like "Self-Driving Test Car", preferably with as large a font as possible.

In case it helps, here are the ones I created and put on my car:

PXL_20220628_002503196.jpg

PXL_20220628_002512085.jpg

It's a nice gesture, but it doesn't release you from any liability.

I'm just getting started with FSDb, so if someone is behind me close enough to read a bumper sticker and I am on anything except a straight flat road, I disengage.
Wasn't designed to release anyone from liability. Just letting people know. Some may choose to go around me instead of staying behind me. I have had a few people pull up beside me and signal with their window down saying "is your car driving itself? That's so cool".

Oh, a courtesy thing? How refreshingly unusual these days.
That's my thought - there are plenty of times when FSD manages but is a bit slower than your average driver and/or does things that, while not illegal, may be annoying. Some examples I can think of are random blinkers, stopping or taking longer than normal at a yield sign, actually coming to a complete stop at the line in front of a stop sign, etc. Essentially the same purpose as a student driver sticker.

I personally am not a fan of any sticker/magnet, but if I had to go with one, it'd be a plain ol "student driver." I'd rather not advertise that the car is making driving maneuvers. Lots of anecdotes of people not reacting well to machine driving.

Reactions: ArchHamster
I bought a magnet and for me it helped relieve a little bit of the stress that comes along with testing FSD Beta. Obviously I'm not going to let the car do anything crazy or unsafe, but I'm not AS concerned with driving as I normally would be. The little slowdowns here and there and the being centered in a wide lane or merge being examples.

I agree with you that the system should act like a normal driver, unfortunately it does not. Is it any worse than the old people driving around me or the nervous new drivers on the road? Yes, and sometimes no.

I don't think an FSD or FSDb or even an AutoPilot magnet is going to help since most people have no idea what those things are. I will eventually find a magnet to use though because when I do activate it, and someone happens to be around, I think they should have some fair warning weird things might happen. These may not even require disengagements because sometimes the car just turns on blinkers and changes its mind again.