Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD with dirty side cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, my first post here.
im wondering if ppl have the answer here, i do not own a tesla yet but have been closely following since 2018... (with close friends owning teslas i have had a few test drives)
when the current auto pilot is engaged and the cameras get caked with raod grime it seems to simply just stop functioning
the roads are heavily salted up north and no matter what coating you put on to keep the water away, it doesn't seem to work.
auto pilot simply disengages, with the new FSD rollout does it get better? is the software able to somehow fix the side camera issues, can it pretend to squint and still understand what's happening? how is tesla solving this? does anyone have any idea?

Reactions: J_Nixon
I think the way it's planned to work, is that when the cameras are too caked, the software will send instructions via a messaging system to a humanoid within the vehicle, said humanoid that until then was tapping on a small screen but serving no useful purpose towards the motion of the car. Said humanoid will egress the vehicle through one of the escape hatches, wipe down the cameras with a soft, moist cloth, and then re-enter the vehicle. Vehicle will then resume FSD.

In some future revision, technology will advance sufficiently that the vehicles no longer need these humanoids, which were vestiges of an ancient barbaric practice called "driving", and will be able to shed those excess kilo's of dead weight for even further FSD range and efficiency...

• Love
Reactions: StealthP3D
This is my biggest concern for FSD. In certain parts of Canada we use salt on the roads. The concentrated salty water ends up on the rear and side cameras and dries there. It happens within minutes of a driving off. This disactivates highway lanes changes most of the time 6 months of the year and backing up out of a parking spot requires looking through the mirror like the good old days. Active cleaning seems like such a cheap solution to add, I wish we had that option. Spraying the cams with -40degC windshield washer fluid normally does the trick for a minute or two.

Perhaps Tesla will augment the bird’s eye view with the interior camera to help in those occasions (if not already happening).