Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD With Order or Post-Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DanDi58

Jun 22, 2020
Dayton NJ
With the recent price reduction of the MY (dropped $3k on Friday), if I were to order a MY without FSD, I can get the purchase price under $55,000 and get a $5,000 rebate for EV purchase in NJ. That would pay for more than half the cost of adding it post-delivery. My question is, is it truly the same functionality (current and future) by adding it post-delivery, as it would be to order it up front? (Since I'm not financing the car, I wouldn't be paying for FSD over the life of a loan).

Thx.

I don’t see why anyone would order FSD upon delivery at this point in time. It’s the same price either way, and the hardware is the same regardless. The exception being that you’re paying sales tax on a basis that’s $8k higher. I believe I’m correct to say that outside of California, sales tax is not charged on FSD purchases made online. I know I did not pay sales tax on my FSD purchase.

I don’t see why anyone would order FSD upon delivery at this point in time. It’s the same price either way, and the hardware is the same regardless. The exception being that you’re paying sales tax on a basis that’s $8k higher. I believe I’m correct to say that outside of California, sales tax is not charged on FSD purchases made online. I know I did not pay sales tax on my FSD purchase.
This isn’t accurate. In many places you do pay sales tax on FSD after purchase.

With the recent price reduction of the MY (dropped $3k on Friday), if I were to order a MY without FSD, I can get the purchase price under $55,000 and get a $5,000 rebate for EV purchase in NJ. That would pay for more than half the cost of adding it post-delivery. My question is, is it truly the same functionality (current and future) by adding it post-delivery, as it would be to order it up front? (Since I'm not financing the car, I wouldn't be paying for FSD over the life of a loan).

Thx.
For me its a little different, currently I have M3 with FSD. I don't see it worth to buy it yet as so many things still have to iron out. I'm getting my MY on 24th without FSD. I hope this will help.

Florida, Utah, Arizona, Washington for sure... but those are just the ones I know people have confirmed in. FSD is not classified as a software-only purchase after delivery

I misspoke - I forgot I registered my Tesla to a company I have in Montana (as I do with all of my "nice" cars), specially for the purpose of tax efficiency and they used that corporate address on my FSD

Well, the sales tax is a moot issue at the moment here in NJ, as you don't pay any sales tax on an EV purchase.
Hey Dan I also live in New Jersey
The idea of not paying sales tax was an extra bonus.
I Pre-ordered the Model Y March 26 2019 . I got FSD for 6k at that time.
I believe it will just keep going up.
I would pick the cheaper route but it will only cost more later
I am expecting delivery end of month

Florida, Utah, Arizona, Washington for sure... but those are just the ones I know people have confirmed in. FSD is not classified as a software-only purchase after delivery
So....I am in Utah, full tax here, AND...no federal or state credits or incentives. I think I read you get free super charging in SLC for a year. That's it. Thanks, LevelHeaded, for clarifying full tax on FSD even after market. Good to know it can be added later - even though still fully taxed.