Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD - Worth it? Price change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right now.. it's 7k.

And from what I'm researching... it's lane change, summon, and parking.

Will it come down in price? Have they offered temporary sales prices at the end of quarters? Emailed someone after purchase with a sale offer?

I want it.. but I also want to keep 7k in my pocket (or as much as I can).

Did anyone order it and wish they didn't? Did anyone add it on afterwards and love it? Hate it?

there has been only one sale (end of Feb-18), and that was stopped after ~2 weeks due to significant complaints from existing customers who paid more. Unlikely that a new sale will pop up anytime soon. (But with Elon's unpredictability, does anyone really know?)

Right now.. it's 7k.

And from what I'm researching... it's lane change, summon, and parking.

Also navigate on autopilot...and likely all future self-driving features.

Will it come down in price?

Just the opposite if you believe Elon Musk. It'll keep going up as they add features (it went up 1k when they added smart summon for example)

Have they offered temporary sales prices at the end of quarters?

They ran a sale on it once (1k below normal lowest price)- for a couple weeks- everyone got furious about it- Tesla admitted it was a mistake and they'd never do it again.

Price has only gone up ever since.

Also navigate on autopilot...and likely all future self-driving features.

Just the opposite if you believe Elon Musk. It'll keep going up as they add features (it went up 1k when they added smart summon for example)

They ran a sale on it once (1k below normal lowest price)- for a couple weeks- everyone got furious about it- Tesla admitted it was a mistake and they'd never do it again.

Price has only gone up ever since.

It was a $6000 discount for some.

If you ordered nothing with the car, the price to add it later was supposed to be $11,000 for EAP + FSD. When it was on sale you could get BOTH EAP + FSD for $5000.00

I bought it specifically WITH the car so that it would be rolled into my car note.

Is it worth the money? I don't know and won't for many years.

I bought full self drive for 6k. Maybe in 5 years the government will decide that the autonomous cars need lidar or some other mysterious tech that hasn't been invented or mainstreamed yet.

Or maybe true FSD will require sensor/camera upgrades, who knows...

But the money's been spent and I'm outside my 7 day return window :):cool:

I didn't buy it with the car because it would have put me over the threshold for Pennsylvania's EV Rebate.
Up through delivery day, the order page offered it for $6k, and even said "After Delivery: $6,000"
But sure enough, it's 7k now. Which somehow doesn't feel fair after what the page said.
(Hell, I ordered in early October, and had they gotten it to me in the 2 weeks they promised, it would have been before the price hike)

I just picked up my Model S SR without FSD. It’s killing me that my 2015 MS had Summon for backing in and out of the garage and lane changes with AP had these features and my 2019 doesn’t. I just don’t think those features are worth $7,600 (after tax). I want to see more features for that price as I could case less about a car coming to me in a parking lot and automatic navigation on and off highway exits.

Reactions: tvad
I didn’t get FSD because I am gambling that in a few years Tesla will decide they need new hardware that you can’t retrofit to get the completed FSD to work.

And we all know how extra options on used cars get pennies on the dollar at resale, so why pay for it.

Seems that people buying it are funding the development. The Tesla cars will probably be better/cheaper so I’ll probably upgrade the car by the time they get the software working well enough to be worth it to me.

Hello everyone, I am new here. I just ordered my M3 LRAWD with full FSD 3 days ago. Paying for FSD guarantees future upgrade to hardware (no sure when that will get cut off because of tech limitations). But the feature that I really paid 7k for is navigate on Autopilot. I have a 4-7week delivery time when I ordered, so I wont be seeing a delivery date before April.. I am hoping my M3 will have the latest greatest HW (3.0 rather than 2.5? ) and SW for FSD.

Is it worth it today for $7000? ; No Way
Will it be worth it in 3 months, 12 months, 24 months, 48 months for $7000 today? Hard to say.

I do not think the price will come down.
If everything goes perfectly, pricing will continue to increase over time but I am unsure what the ceiling is.
I have a hard time envisioning them being able to sell in volume any option that is higher than $10000 on a $40000 car no matter how amazing. I don't believe the robo taxi plan at all, so not factoring the cars making money in that manner.

If you realistically think they would charge and would get people to pay $15000 or more for this option down the road than buying now for $7000 makes some sense otherwise I think you are better off waiting unless the money is burning a hole in your pocket.

Of course if you have a car with 2.0 or 2.5 hardware instead of 3.0 you might want to pay the $7000 now in fear the hardware upgrade currently offered/bundled with FSD will not be offered in the future but that is not a debate for a new model 3 buyer. Any car ordered now or within the last at least 6 months already has 3.0 hardware.

Hello everyone, I am new here. I just ordered my M3 LRAWD with full FSD 3 days ago. Paying for FSD guarantees future upgrade to hardware (no sure when that will get cut off because of tech limitations). But the feature that I really paid 7k for is navigate on Autopilot. I have a 4-7week delivery time when I ordered, so I wont be seeing a delivery date before April.. I am hoping my M3 will have the latest greatest HW (3.0 rather than 2.5? ) and SW for FSD.

Yes, you should have HW3 installed.

HW4 already in active development per Tesla themselves, though if existing buyers would need/get it would depend on if it turns out HW3 is "enough" to deliver promised features or not.

Agreed, we also dont know if HW4 will include any new sensors or other upgrades in addition to just a CPU.

I think it is unlikely they will upgrade cars to HW4, I am betting that one will be the next major AP suite revision not just a chip upgrade and will be more like AP 1.0 to AP 2.0. So, new car purchase likely required.

Tesla has been operating for a while on the existing 2.5 sensor suite based on their prior history. (AP0 to AP1 = 2 years, AP1 to AP2 = 2 years, AP 2 to 2.5 = 10 months, etc)

Bought it during the fire sale. I will say when I look at pricing out a new Tesla, I always look at obtaining FSD. 2018 Model X and the service center has already updated to HW 3. It's been mention the price will go up. I feel $7,000 is at a good price point considering autopilot is free. There is a lot that comes with the $7,000 but only worth it if you have value in autopark, smart summon, not so smart summon. One of the features i would miss is lane changing just by touching the blinker. I also feel there is good value in NOA. This is getting better and better with time. it speeds up and slows down more as auto lane changing is needed. I'm also impressed when the car slows down to let oncoming entrance traffic merge. I personally may not do this. The other lane changes that NOA makes is to move to left lane before the entrance ramp, then after ramp, moves back to right lane. Over the ownership of our Model X with these features, I feel the car is becoming more humanized.

openpilot which is an open source product does most of what FSD does for around $1k and supports a ton of car models, using just one front and rear facing camera and pretty much an android phone for processing. I have seen videos where it even does unmarked roads and open fields which FSD currently does not support. So my guess is HW4 might not be a full on AP suite revision but it might just be adding better processing capacity, and of course SW updates. I believe this way they can retro fit a reasonable amount of customers who have already bought the "insurance" by paying for FSD. I am sure future versions of model 3 might have more advanced features and sensors ( like may be "blind spot monitoring" lights on the mirrors. ), but that would be a trade-in question rather than an upgrade question, and may the trade-in values will be better with FSD.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Wasn't there a price increase last year to accommodate for Autopilot becoming standard? I don't think it's correct to say that Autopilot is free.

They increased the base price of all cars by $2K when they decided to bundle autopilot with every car (except the $35K off menu SR).

I purchased my LR RWD right before they bundled it and I did not purchase autopilot or FSD. So for me it would be $3K AP + $7K FSD. There is no way I’m paying $10K to turn on FSD. It’s just not worth it.

I just did a 900 mile round trip drive from OC to the Bay Area just using basic non-traffic aware cruise control and I thought it was perfectly fine. I never felt like I absolutely had to have either AP or FSD.

They increased the base price of all cars by $2K when they decided to bundle autopilot with every car (except the $35K off menu SR).

I purchased my LR RWD right before they bundled it and I did not purchase autopilot or FSD. So for me it would be $3K AP + $7K FSD. There is no way I’m paying $10K to turn on FSD. It’s just not worth it.

I just did a 900 mile round trip drive from OC to the Bay Area just using basic non-traffic aware cruise control and I thought it was perfectly fine. I never felt like I absolutely had to have either AP or FSD.
A compromise:

What if they let you buy FSD straight out for $7K and threw in basic AP with it?