Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD, would like that $1K back please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This will be my attempt at explaining why those of us that paid 3k for FSD months ago expect a $1K refund.

First the facts:
- I paid for my car in July last year, paid $5k for EAP, additional $3k for FSD
- At time of purchase, FSD was presented as $3k now, $4k if purchased later
- Elon had tweeted a month before that he was expected the first features of FSD to be available in August, as part of 9.0 update (2018)

Today:
- I have enjoyed EAP since July; had I not purchased it, I could get EAP+FSD for $5k now instead of $8k I spent; I don't care about that, classic upsell promotion to get existing owners to spend more on their cars, sounds fine with me
- I still haven't received FSD though, had I waited today, I could pre-order it for $2k, instead of the $3k I preordered it for. I am very bothered by this

Why am I bothered:
- Unlike EAP, this product is not delivered yet, never heard of any other pre-ordering experiences, from any brand, where people pay more than others without a partial refund.
- The ONLY reason to pre-order FSD was the discount; there were no other listed benefits (no promise of Early Access Program, getting the feature early, getting hardware, etc...), the ONLY thing that was listed is $3k now or $4k later.
What was sold then was the promise of a discount.
In other words, Groupon. You spend $30 on Groupon for a $40 restaurant certificate (paying cheaper now to save money later). Then you show up at the restaurant, and they tell you the terms of your certificate has changed since you bought it, and the meal you can get from it is listed at $20 on their menu. Wouldn't you demand Groupon to give you $10 back at a minimum, as the ONLY reason to use them in the first place was to save money?

I am not a confrontational guy, and I love this car, so I am willing to be understanding with this, and accept a $1k credit on my account towards supercharging or purchase of accessories, future vehicle, etc... but that $1k in value needs to be recovered somehow

Thanks for the detailed explanation of your position. I may be slower than the average reader but finally reading this I understand. I would think software that you'd not had delivered yet dropping in price, you'd be billed the new lower price (at least in this country) on final delivery, and get a credit if you'd prepaid for the difference.

You all DO realize you are obssiing over the equivalent of 1.5% the price of your car?
Yep. It's not a money thing though. It is more about being disappointed that Tesla of all companies feels it's acceptable to refuse something that pretty much every other company on the planet does: refunding the customer when prices drop PRIOR to product delivery. (i.e. FSD).

But they did not lie. If you had not paid for FSD in July and purchased it in September what would the cost had been?
The pricing was valid for at least 7 months. Something being the same over 7 months for Tesla is like 5 years for anyone else.

I got it because of the HW3 upgrade promise made... I added FSD to my order when they posted the HW3 upgrade info and would not have purchased it without it.

This will be my attempt at explaining why those of us that paid 3k for FSD months ago expect a $1K refund.

First the facts:
- I paid for my car in July last year, paid $5k for EAP, additional $3k for FSD
- At time of purchase, FSD was presented as $3k now, $4k if purchased later
- Elon had tweeted a month before that he was expected the first features of FSD to be available in August, as part of 9.0 update (2018)

Today:
- I have enjoyed EAP since July; had I not purchased it, I could get EAP+FSD for $5k now instead of $8k I spent; I don't care about that, classic upsell promotion to get existing owners to spend more on their cars, sounds fine with me
- I still haven't received FSD though, had I waited today, I could pre-order it for $2k, instead of the $3k I preordered it for. I am very bothered by this

Why am I bothered:
- Unlike EAP, this product is not delivered yet, never heard of any other pre-ordering experiences, from any brand, where people pay more than others without a partial refund.
- The ONLY reason to pre-order FSD was the discount; there were no other listed benefits (no promise of Early Access Program, getting the feature early, getting hardware, etc...), the ONLY thing that was listed is $3k now or $4k later.
What was sold then was the promise of a discount.
In other words, Groupon. You spend $30 on Groupon for a $40 restaurant certificate (paying cheaper now to save money later). Then you show up at the restaurant, and they tell you the terms of your certificate has changed since you bought it, and the meal you can get from it is listed at $20 on their menu. Wouldn't you demand Groupon to give you $10 back at a minimum, as the ONLY reason to use them in the first place was to save money?

I am not a confrontational guy, and I love this car, so I am willing to be understanding with this, and accept a $1k credit on my account towards supercharging or purchase of accessories, future vehicle, etc... but that $1k in value needs to be recovered somehow
Yep, sounds fair. I hope you get it in Q2.

I also paid for FSD last September but
Let-It-Go.jpg

For the past year I’ve seen countless posts of people happy they purchased FSD because they were looking forward to the features they would eventually get. Clearly all that anticipation did have value to them. Had they not purchased FSD that excitement would have been replaced by the anxiety of having to pay more when the features are finally released.

That’s the best spin I can put on it :p

Then what happens when those who pay 35K for the base model see is reduced to 25K next year? All other car companies have had that happen for years. Those who buy the new model pay top dollar to be first. Then as demand falls so do prices. Other manufactures do it thru rebates but in the end it is all the same.
You’re not comparing apples to apples. OP is saying there’s been a price drop on a product that hasn’t yet shipped and Tesla isn’t refunding him the difference.

For the past year I’ve seen countless posts of people happy they purchased FSD because they were looking forward to the features they would eventually get. Clearly all that anticipation did have value to them. Had they not purchased FSD that excitement would have been replaced by the anxiety of having to pay more when the features are finally released.

That’s the best spin I can put on it :p
“Looking forward” is the right way to face when waiting for FSD.
Robin

Then what happens when those who pay 35K for the base model see is reduced to 25K next year? All other car companies have had that happen for years. Those who buy the new model pay top dollar to be first. Then as demand falls so do prices. Other manufactures do it thru rebates but in the end it is all the same.

No other MFG does this. Ever.

You seem to be confused between "hardware already delivered" (your example)

and "preorder of undelivered software" (what is actually happening regarding FSD).

Every other case I can think of, from anybody not just car makers, if you order something, and the price drops before they ever actually deliver that something you get a refund of the difference.

(and Hell- P3D- guys got a $5000 refund for something they never even bought (the performance upgrade package))

Not here though.

If the only value in prebuying was the satisfaction of having paid less for the preorder then the fact those folks now discover they paid more makes it even worse.

If the only value in prebuying was the satisfaction of having paid less for the preorder then the fact those folks now discover they paid more makes it even worse.
The value is knowing that you’ll get all the great features in the future. People who order earlier get to enjoy the anticipation for longer and therefore should pay more.

Another argument is that FSD was always a gamble. If Tesla were to actually make an autonomous vehicle it would worth 10x any price they’ve charged so far for FSD. Maybe the odds of them achieving that has gone down so naturally the price to make the bet should go down. You don’t get a refund when you bet moneyline on a game and the star quarterback gets injured.

Sorry, I think I might have some sort of addiction to arguing with people on the internet. Haha.

I think it's fair to complain about paying for something not received. That said, if it makes you feel better I have paid 9k for EAP and now FSD (2k FSD, 7k EAP). Now that stack is 5k. You lost 1k, I've "lost" 4k.

Anyone who prepaid for both has lost 3k, not 1k.... since people who bought neither get both for 5k now, and those who prepaid both paid 8.

• Love
Reactions: RunMadM3 and zmarty